Sponsored by:

Being lied to by local dealers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:01 PM
82z28nd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Being lied to by local dealers

OK, I wanted to buy local but every one of three local dealers I talked to was "less than truthfull'. Dealer 1 said they were the only dealer selling at msrp, wrong , both other dealers are at msrp. Dealer 2 said GM would not let them sell under msrp, if they did, GM would charge them back the amount they sold under msrp. Dealer#3 said they had no way of knowing how many allocations GM would give them. according to dave @kerbeck, they all knew it was 2x the amount of 2012's they sold.And this was the guy I bought my last 2 cars from.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:08 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 82z28nd
...And this was the guy I bought my last 2 cars from.
Would absolutely be the LAST two cars I'd buy from him.
The following users liked this post:
scy66 (07-25-2019)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

Ah, welcome to the world of buy a C7
Old 02-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Top this: the idiot floor salesman at the Chevy dealer near me was trying to sell a C7, daily-driver demo with 1,200+ miles on it @ MSRP. -The same pricing (MSRP) as the new ones on the sales floor with no miles on them. When I asked why the used car was MSRP, the elderly 70+ year old guy just started giggling like a moron. Some of the antics by floor salesmen are just coo coo. What a freakin' Bozo.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:34 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

^^^ Why are you dealing with floor guys to begin with

Talk with GM or sales manager if you're serious, only way to get a yes or no fast and either close it or move on.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-24-2019 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ih2lose (07-25-2019)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:35 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Dealer 2 said GM would not let them sell under msrp, if they did, GM would charge them back the amount they sold under msrp.
YGBSM!!

He's the type of moron that gives good dealers a bad name!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by texex91
Why are you dealing with floor guys to begin with

Talk with GM or sales manager if you're serious, only way to get a yes or no fast and either close it or move on.
How serious do you have to be? I already told the guy I want to buy a new Corvette? If they want to lose a sale, I guess that's their business. If they don't want to get serious, how can I?

Well if you think you can do better, I'll send you in to buy one there.....let me know when you want to give it a crack? The prevailing price on a new C7 is invoice plus $500, or MSRP minus $3,000. They're NOT serious, seriously......
Old 02-01-2014, 09:50 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
How serious do you have to be? I already told the guy I want to buy a new Corvette? If they want to lose a sale, I guess that's their business. If they don't want to get serious, how can I?

Well if you think you can do better, I'll send you in to buy one there.....let me know when you want to give it a crack? The prevailing price on a new C7 is invoice plus $500, or MSRP minus $3,000. They're NOT serious, seriously......
Let me rephrase--pick-up the phone and call around (talk to mgr) rather than walking in cold to a dealer...that way you would have found that out ahead of time (and not wasted your time). Plenty of idiot dealers out there selling over--just ignore and move on.

And be nice--as if you fly for AA or SWA, I'm putting $$ in your pocket every week (on one or both every week for work).

Last edited by astrotx; 02-01-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Let me rephrase--pick-up the phone and call around (talk to mgr) rather than walking in cold to a dealer...that way you would have found that out ahead of time (and not wasted your time). Plenty of idiot dealers out there selling over--just ignore and move on.

And be nice--as if you fly for AA or SWA, I'm putting $$ in your pocket every week (on one or both every week for work).
I know the drill. Most of my cars bought new were from the dealership's owner - including one new C3 Corvette.

If any Corvette dealer isn't willing to honor by at least matching the prevailing, best National pricing, then they aren't serious about selling a car. They can sell it to someone who will overpay, or doesn't know their pricing.

I'm not willing to pay thou$and$ over the best National pricing available.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

I know the drill. Most of my cars bought new were from the dealership's owner - including one new C3 Corvette.

If any Corvette dealer isn't willing to honor by at least matching the prevailing, best National pricing, then they aren't serious about selling a car. They can sell it to someone who will overpay, or doesn't know their pricing.

I'm not willing to pay thou$and$ over the best National pricing available.
Agreed. So just buy from a big guy and do courtesy delivery. Heck I found one Z51 2LT in Dallas today online, but by the time I got to them it sold. Think that is the reality of buying local. Over priced, no allocation, or wait forever. My .02.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Agreed. So just buy from a big guy and do courtesy delivery. Heck I found one Z51 2LT in Dallas today online, but by the time I got to them it sold. Think that is the reality of buying local. Over priced, no allocation, or wait forever. My .02.
I'm rather certain now, that the Chevy dealer @ I-30 and Buckner in east Dallas is best used as a punching bag to kick tires at. Not to buy from. They refused test drives anyway which I would demand before paying for one anyway. The 70+ yr. old guy already was proud of spouting that off between his school-girl floor antics.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is sad. I have found that most dealers here in the Tampa, FL are honorable.

My local dealer just received a beautiful black on black with black wheels, Z51 with Mag ride and competition seats being offered at MSRP. PM me if interested.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm not sure how one dealer can know what another one is selling cars for. I wouldn't call that a lie.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 PM
82z28nd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sin City
I'm not sure how one dealer can know what another one is selling cars for. I wouldn't call that a lie.
It's a lie if you don't know it's true. He told me they were the ONLY one selling at msrp.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It's a lie if you don't know it's true. He told me they were the ONLY one selling at msrp.
Not really.

They are only coming up with excuses to make you not want to negotiate. That doesn't mean you can't.

Don't tell me you didn't "lie" to them just as much. Everyone does it. It's just a game between the seller and the buyer.

I find these discussions of needing somehow to buy under MSRP rather amuzing. On one hand, you want to buy under MSRP. On the other hand you worry about depreciation.

The two are DIRECTLY related.

If one guy can buy under MSRP, then the other guy's car just got devalued by that much.

If suddenly you could buy a new car at 20 grand off, every used car would lose at least 20 grand that very day. Taking it to the extreme if you could get a new car for free, how much would a used car be? Zero.

The real solution to depreciated value is restricting sales and holding firm on new car selling prices. Losing money in depreciation will be far more than gained back in price negotiation.

The selling price of a new car is directly related to the price of a used car.

Last edited by Sin City; 02-01-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I fooled around with small local dealers for a couple of weeks before smartening up. A couple would not answer my questions, one kept changing his story and then told me the price would be MSRP +4k to put my name on a list, and yet another was truthful and admitted he could not get me a car right from the start. That's when I chose a large dealer out of state. TPW 2/17.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 AM
greggshere
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C7Joy
I fooled around with small local dealers for a couple of weeks before smartening up. A couple would not answer my questions, one kept changing his story and then told me the price would be MSRP +4k to put my name on a list, and yet another was truthful and admitted he could not get me a car right from the start. That's when I chose a large dealer out of state. TPW 2/17.
Yeah I went to my small town local dealer yesterday to have a heart to heart regarding ordering a new 2015 in a couple of months. I've been dealing with him for years and fully trust him. We discussed allocations and such and he wants to sell me the car, but when it came right down to it, he admitted that if I want it quickly I will get it quicker from one of the big forum dealers. I appreciated his honesty and will buy the wife's new Traverse from him, but the Corvette will be ordered from a Forum dealer I've already been discussing the car with and with a $3K off MSRP agreement.

Get notified of new replies

To Being lied to by local dealers

Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,578 Likes on 1,646 Posts

The prevailing price on a new C7 is invoice plus $500, or MSRP minus $3,000. They're NOT serious, seriously......
Please share which dealers are at invoice +$500.00? I would be interested...seriously....
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Most small dealers are living in yesteryear they use old sales tactics and expect the same results ie get msrp or over they think everyone is a rube. I worked for a small family chevy dealer after I retired. I laughed at how they wanted to deal with customers they sold maybe 30 a month and acted like they could not get anymore inventory every one was precious. Nuts GM at the time would give you the ballpark if you could sell it. I sold 3 cars one Sat. and GM was not happy wanted me to work the customer I was leaving money on the table. I was about volume and getting folks in and out lasted a year and threw towel in. Oh and had to introduce every customer to GM going out the door never saw him turn a customer around.
They think everyone is stupid try telling one that you work for car company and they still act that way.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 02-02-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

….If any Corvette dealer isn't willing to honor by at least matching the prevailing, best National pricing, then they aren't serious about selling a car. They can sell it to someone who will overpay, or doesn't know their pricing....
With all due respect, that is a really stupid post. "Local" dealers sell cars with no trouble at list price while other "national" dealers are offering discounts. Don't blame the dealer if they don't agree with your view of the world.

Last edited by jschindler; 02-02-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Being lied to by local dealers