Sponsored by:

Being lied to by local dealers

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

With all seriousness, that is really a stupid post.

If you want to pay $3,000.00 or more from your dealer than necessary for a new Corvette than is available nationally, which was the point, then go on and pay it since that's your preference. I can't help what you believe to be a non-stupid decision by paying MSRP or more.
You obviously did not comprehend my post at all. I never said I would pay that much. I was addressing your comment that any dealer who does not meet the discounted prices offered by "national" dealers are not interested in selling Corvettes. I happen to agree with you that it is stupid to pay over MSRP, but that was not what I was responding to at all.

Perhaps if you actually comprehended my response you would not think it was stupid.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,583 Likes on 1,647 Posts

$5,000.00 under and I buy the car...period...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
$5,000 under MSRP might be possible for a heavily optioned no constraint Base car - Base 3LT with NPP, Clear Roof, Chrome Wheels, Painted Calipers = MSRP $65,000, Invoice $59,100; but not on a Base 1LT where the MSRP-Invoice is $4,800.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see some GM incentives late summer/fall on the '14s.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

What? I read a few months ago on this forum the 2014 Stingray would be 40 deep on every lot and discounted $10,000 by now... say it ain't so!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My first post, looks like prices are all over the board yikes !!

Checking with dealers in the SoCal area my first quote was $79K for a stingray with a MSRP of $64K . Will post other offers as they come in.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redshift1
My first post, looks like prices are all over the board yikes !!

Checking with dealers in the SoCal area my first quote was $79K for a stingray with a MSRP of $64K . Will post other offers as they come in.
Try Boardwalk Chevrolet right there in California. He will do MSRP for forum members...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Boardwalk Chevrolet right there in California. He will do MSRP for forum members...
Very helpful. thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by from OP
Dealer 2 said GM would not let them sell under msrp, if they did, GM would charge them back the amount they sold under msrp
Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 PM
DEciiBel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is in reply to two threads of similar themes. The principle difference is that in one it's prices and the other, unprincipled dealers.

The legitimacy of pricing is where the propensity to buy intersects the demand curve at price points (or something like that). Your inclinations to pay or not pay, whether the dealer will feel that he needs to negotiate to his disadvantage (likely never) or gouge (perhaps not IF he can get you later or has already done so) or decide to go out of business has nothing to do with YOUR wants.
You need to be educated as to product, competition and values to defend your capital.. The dealer's principal concern is staying open.
The demand for product will sustain price inequity. Profits will be taken at every opportunity by every link of that supply chain.
It's capitalism (actually here and just about everywhere oligopolies) and it sorta sucks because greed without purpose is the hallmark of this aging system. See those jobs going overseas? Do you think that the individual firms who have decided to maximize profits are going to now hire your neighbors because they NEED jobs?
Have you noticed that almost every advertisement is pointed to the well-to-do or the poor? Does it occur to you that this is part and parcel of a maturing despotic, fascist system.
The problem with congestion and bottlenecks in a supposedly free economy (Our is not unless you are in a small business. You know, the guys who are always gong bankrupt.) is that price pressures cause spikes. In a perfect economy, the demand will be responded to INSTANTLY. Guess what, that doesn't happen. Not when you are at capacity and you know that this capacity will soon be excessive. They want a shortage to forestall your negotiating techniques from being effective.
Not that I blame them. I understand how screwed up things are beyond the mere superficial BS. I still bought a 'vette or three because they are what I wanted and I thought the price was reasonable.
However, listening to some folks kvetch while you purchase expensive toys is none the less laughable. It's like complaining that your filet is overdone while the starving beggars pass by the window. You are, at least, reasonably successful and you moan of how the system you profit from is not always a downhill coast on your bicycles.
Whine much?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
And some folks wonder why car dealers (as a group) have such a bad rep.....
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM
82z28nd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEciiBel
This is in reply to two threads of similar themes. The principle difference is that in one it's prices and the other, unprincipled dealers.

The legitimacy of pricing is where the propensity to buy intersects the demand curve at price points (or something like that). Your inclinations to pay or not pay, whether the dealer will feel that he needs to negotiate to his disadvantage (likely never) or gouge (perhaps not IF he can get you later or has already done so) or decide to go out of business has nothing to do with YOUR wants.
You need to be educated as to product, competition and values to defend your capital.. The dealer's principal concern is staying open.
The demand for product will sustain price inequity. Profits will be taken at every opportunity by every link of that supply chain.
It's capitalism (actually here and just about everywhere oligopolies) and it sorta sucks because greed without purpose is the hallmark of this aging system. See those jobs going overseas? Do you think that the individual firms who have decided to maximize profits are going to now hire your neighbors because they NEED jobs?
Have you noticed that almost every advertisement is pointed to the well-to-do or the poor? Does it occur to you that this is part and parcel of a maturing despotic, fascist system.
The problem with congestion and bottlenecks in a supposedly free economy (Our is not unless you are in a small business. You know, the guys who are always gong bankrupt.) is that price pressures cause spikes. In a perfect economy, the demand will be responded to INSTANTLY. Guess what, that doesn't happen. Not when you are at capacity and you know that this capacity will soon be excessive. They want a shortage to forestall your negotiating techniques from being effective.
Not that I blame them. I understand how screwed up things are beyond the mere superficial BS. I still bought a 'vette or three because they are what I wanted and I thought the price was reasonable.
However, listening to some folks kvetch while you purchase expensive toys is none the less laughable. It's like complaining that your filet is overdone while the starving beggars pass by the window. You are, at least, reasonably successful and you moan of how the system you profit from is not always a downhill coast on your bicycles.
Whine much?
So you believe it's whining when I believe I should not be lied to when shopping for a product. I don't care if it's a $70K car or a $7 dollar trinket DON'T LIE TO ME. I was in the retail business for over 30 years and always operated under the principle that you may be able to BS a customer for a while, but when he finds out you did, he's GONE. So don't do it.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

This just shouldn't happen but unfortunately it does.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

And I'll be enjoying driving the sh*t out of mine while you sit and wait.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Motohead279
And I'll be enjoying driving the sh*t out of mine while you sit and wait.
Naw, I won't wait too awful long. I had already decided to wait until the 2015 model year anyway and dealers are already offering 2-4 thousand off in stock non-Z51s (which is what I want), so I am figuring 5Gs off shouldn't be to hard to get...

Now I could be wrong. I might have to settle for just $4,000.00 off, but I don't think so...
Old 07-24-2019, 02:05 PM
Nm2far
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Called a local dealer in Dexter MI who first told me $1K refundable deposit, then later called back and said they wanted $5-10K deposit. I told them I ordered a 911 on $2K, there comment was the car will be in huge demand and they dont want to order one and then not be able to sell it? Hmmmmm.

Called Les Sanford in in Dearborn, $1K to get in line, another $1.5K when you actually order, all refundable. MSRP. Once they start build non-refundable but i find that off as well as the only cars availible for the first 6 months will probably be orders not delivered, and will fly off the lot at ADM.

Assuming you get in the first tier orders, December build for sometime Feb delivery, second tier in the spring. Hopefully there will be lots of detailed tests and reviews and a chance to touch/feel/drive prior to having to commit
Old 07-25-2019, 01:31 AM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 247 Posts

quite a thread necro, but hey, these are crazy times.

Get notified of new replies

To Being lied to by local dealers

Old 07-25-2019, 02:49 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
But my small local dealership (Hurd Chevrolet, GMC). Pulled the classic bait-and-switch. Advertising their only C7 on AUTOTRADER.com
at a $3,000 discount for a number of weeks. I go in to look at the car and..."sorry, that was a mistake".

Up here the large GM corvette dealer has a corvette I called about, sorry was sold, bs the car has been listed at least 2 weeks that I know of, how long does it take to delete the ad?
Old 07-25-2019, 07:32 AM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by phalse
quite a thread necro, but hey, these are crazy times.
It just goes to show that people still want to buy a new C7
Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,741 Likes on 3,019 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This is a 5 year old thread...just sayin

Quick Reply: Being lied to by local dealers