Sponsored by:

So apparently I am blacklisted by GM from buying a C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 82CFI
Most here are not understanding how the OP got on the list ... it's just a list like any other list ... I could make a list and put your name on it so now you're on the list ... nobody can tell me not to put your name on the list.

Now back to this list that GM uses: you don't need to do anything illegal to get on the list. I'm making an educated guess that there are company(s) compiling these "exporter" lists and the data comes from data mining of public records. The OP is on the list because he shipped a Hummer overseas and didn't return it. The companies who compile the list don't care that it was a used vehicle OR a 5 year old vehicle OR not a GM vehicle OR whatever else criteria you want to insert here BECAUSE their automated web-crawler data mining (AWDM) software got his name from the shipping company's publicly accessible database.

The OP followed Dave@Kerbeck's suggestion to call GM and that failed so I have 2 suggestions for the OP if he truly wants off the list:
1) Call both shipping firms for the Hummer & Bimmer and ask them to remove his Bill of Ladings from their database or at least from their Internet facing database. THEN confirm it several days or weeks later that they were removed. THEN...
2) Call the list company (that's if GM gives him their name) and get them to delete his name from their exporter database. This way their AWDM software won't pop it back in there on the next scheduled pass.

What would be interesting since the OP knows he's on a list:
1) Go back to McMulkin and try to purchase a new Cruze. See if they refuse him. If they allow the sale then GM is using the list to only prevent sales of C7s or other high-end marque vehicles. The kind of vehicles the Chinese are crazy over right now.
2) Go to a BMW or Benz dealer and try to purchase a new vehicle and see if he is refused. If refused then this "may" show that BMWUSA and/or MBUSA use the same list as GM. Don't know what it says if he's not refused but it would make GM look bad.

Anyway, that's my .02
You make that sound very simple. The OP does nothing wrong according to all that is posted here and GM is effectively treating him like a criminal. If it was me and someone said "just contact them and tell them to fix it because it's wrong" I'd be filing a complaint with the Attorney General office and I'd do everything in my power to show people how GM thumps their chest at people who's tax dollars just bailed their *** out of bankruptcy.

I get that there are things we may not know, but based upon what we are being told that is my feeling.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,222 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by laborsmith
My late father had a car built in Michigan and with less than a month on the road shipped overseas. Nearly three years later it was shipped back to the US. He was a career Army officer and likely met the same standards as your late brother. Has your post induced my anger: Yes, because it is not related to reality and is political in nature. And dumb.

If I mistook your post as anti US military, I apologize. But I reread it several times, and your reported respect for your late brother notwithstanding, I still read it as anti US military and this attitude upsets me.

You know your brother was not a criminal because he had the rank and years in service to have his personal car shipped to his overseas assignment yet you make fun of the program that allows this to happen?

Laborsmith

really? Look up sarcasm and get back with me.

I understand my brother wasn't a criminal. I was reflecting how idiotic it would be to assume the Marine in this thread was a criminal. GM is just being retarded as they tend to be fairly often.

Please tune that gauge up a little. Its the gauge just under OIL PRESSURE.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-16-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 PM
82CFI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
You make that sound very simple. The OP does nothing wrong according to all that is posted here and GM is effectively treating him like a criminal. If it was me and someone said "just contact them and tell them to fix it because it's wrong" I'd be filing a complaint with the Attorney General office and I'd do everything in my power to show people how GM thumps their chest at people who's tax dollars just bailed their *** out of bankruptcy.

I get that there are things we may not know, but based upon what we are being told that is my feeling.
A feeling that most of us would share BUT with this specific incident, it's an emotional one. Same as what the OP is feeling but it's emotional and therefore difficult to step away and look at what is happening with "the other side of this story."

"Things we may not know" is explained in a link http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/...ype=blogs&_r=1 (page 9, half way down) provided by poster, Big Lebowski, to a recent New York Times article reporting on mass exports and exporters illegal activities. The article states that both the US Justice Dept and the states' AGs are going after the exporters on behalf and at the behest of the auto manufacturers. So, contacting the AG with your complaint would fall on deaf ears as they are doing the exact opposite.

The OP is on a list along with many other individuals and companies. GM chooses to protect their corporate interests by using the provided list. It's their policy and the AGs are agreeing with that policy when they agreed to pursue the "illegal" export traffickers.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:33 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 82CFI
A feeling that most of us would share BUT with this specific incident, it's an emotional one. Same as what the OP is feeling but it's emotional and therefore difficult to step away and look at what is happening with "the other side of this story."

"Things we may not know" is explained in a link http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/...ype=blogs&_r=1 (page 9, half way down) provided by poster, Big Lebowski, to a recent New York Times article reporting on mass exports and exporters illegal activities. The article states that both the US Justice Dept and the states' AGs are going after the exporters on behalf and at the behest of the auto manufacturers. So, contacting the AG with your complaint would fall on deaf ears as they are doing the exact opposite.

The OP is on a list along with many other individuals and companies. GM chooses to protect their corporate interests by using the provided list. It's their policy and the AGs are agreeing with that policy when they agreed to pursue the "illegal" export traffickers.
Okay, so we are back to the issue of legality again. If the OP did something illegal he should be arrested. If not, why is he on the list? These are simple questions that don't seem to bed getting an answer.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Okay, so we are back to the issue of legality again. If the OP did something illegal he should be arrested. If not, why is he on the list? These are simple questions that don't seem to bed getting an answer.
Maybe it is just cheaper/easier to put him on a list than to press charges?

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-17-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I didn't know GM did this.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerdj
I didn't know GM did this.
What? Protect their interests?
If this is true, do you think they would do this just for fun? I'm quite sure GM (or their dealer) is loathe to eliminate anyone as a paying customer unless there is a worthwhile reason.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 PM
impala
Instructor

If only GM was this proactive about all of the other BS some of there Dealers do to there customers!!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,222 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by impala
If only GM was this proactive about all of the other BS some of there Dealers do to there customers!!
exactly.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Has anyone asked this question yet: if "badwhite.." knows of the company underlined below, why is he pursuing his argument with A) CorvetteForum and B) GM?

Isn't his beef, if there is a legitimate one* with this company? Why isn't there a lawsuit, a complaint to a local Attorney General or some kind of cease and desist order being pursued by "badwhite..."?

* I am not passing judgment since no one from "the other side" has posted

Originally Posted by badwhitecorvette
In my case I have done nothing illegal. I have not violated any GM or any other company policy. I never crossed any gray area at all. The cars were out of warranty and over 5 years old.

There is a company the collects and mines the 17 million U.S. bills of ladings each year and sells the data to anyone that wants it.

It's simple if you ship a car in or out of this country you are on the list period. It is that easy to be put on the "list".
Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 PM
badwhitecorvette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you to all for your support in this.
And thank you everyone else for getting out your pitch forks and lanterns and joining a non existent which hunt. You guys serve a purpose in this world too.

I just posted this thread to see if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a solution, not to bash anyone. I don't have time for lawsuits. Buying a new corvette is not a life necessity to me.

I'm not bashing GM or mackulikin chevrolet. I know all manufactures don't want their new cars exported. GM included. I feel Mackulkin just took it to the next level by using a broad brush and labeling anyone who sent a car in or out of the country as an exporter. They named the time when I brought a car back into the country as an export.

This "export list" being used is sooooo silly. It's equivalent to someone who gets injured and takes a proscription narcotic for 30 days and not being able to buy a gun because now they are on a narcotic user list for the next 10 years.

That being said my only dilemma now is do I want to spend $1400 for a GM extended warranty. Everything worked out thank God. I even got $4000 off MSRP on a New C7.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

"That being said my only dilemma now is do I want to spend $1400 for a GM extended warranty." Depends, are you going to export it? J/K
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM
badwhitecorvette
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for your support. I finally picked up my new Stingray. I told my salesmen Gino about what happened with Macmulkin and I asked him about the GM exporter list. He said that he had checked my name out in the system and my name did not come up.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your support. I finally picked up my new Stingray. I told my salesmen Gino about what happened with Macmulkin and I asked him about the GM exporter list. He said that he had checked my name out in the system and my name did not come up.

Congrats...now go out and enjoy it!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Love the color! I have one of those in the system too!

Elmer
Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM
J18369
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09, '14

Curious why everyone has such a hard-on for MacMulkin? I got a quote for an order through them and they're $1000 more expensive than any other dealership. I guess that's the dealer fees they lie and say they don't have.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like GM and NSA got ya!

Get notified of new replies

To So apparently I am blacklisted by GM from buying a C7

Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Nitehawke53
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to see you pick up your new C7, Congrats!!

Semper Fi!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,043 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your support. I finally picked up my new Stingray.

Congrats man. Sincerely, enjoy it!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:27 PM
badwhitecorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by J18369
Curious why everyone has such a hard-on for MacMulkin? I got a quote for an order through them and they're $1000 more expensive than any other dealership. I guess that's the dealer fees they lie and say they don't have.
I was not bashing MacMulkin here, I was just stating my experience. I went with another dealer. They gave me the best price in the country and only charged me a $160 Doc fee. I did not have to negotiate. They were upfront with me. I sent in a deposit after the first phone call. It took a few weeks for my car to come in, I was kept updated of the status. I paid for my Stingray 3 weeks ago and it just sat in their showroom until I had time to pick it up.

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Sounds like GM and NSA got ya!
I know right :-) ...... GM doesn't have a problem as I was checked on a GM export list by the dealer I bought from.

Originally Posted by nh_mark
Congrats...now go out and enjoy it!
Originally Posted by Nitehawke53
Glad to see you pick up your new C7, Congrats!!

Semper Fi!
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Congrats man. Sincerely, enjoy it!
Thanks for the kind words and support from all of you guys....Semper Fi

Quick Reply: So apparently I am blacklisted by GM from buying a C7