Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Pics?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I would not volunteer that you drove the car after you knew there was a major oil leak if I were you............
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM
birdflu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOLD72
If memory serves me, the engine is programmed to shut down on really low oil pressure so I am thinking there was still enough oil in the sump to get you home without oil pressure getting too low.
If there weren't any lights or buzzers going off, I wouldn't worry too much about damage from lack of oil. I blew a filter gasket 1 mile from my house once. As you said, oil was EVERYWHERE. I drained it to see how much oils was actually lost, and it wasn't even a full quart low. It doesn't take much out, to look like a lot. As much as I cleaned an scrubbed, that car still dripped oil for 2 weeks.
I bet the fix in your case will be easy, but make sure the dealer cleans every nook and cranny of oil, that alone should be a 3 or 4 hour job.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
If memory serves me, the engine is programmed to shut down on really low oil pressure so I am thinking there was still enough oil in the sump to get you home without oil pressure getting too low.
It did turn off, then I rolled it off the freeway in neutral, started it up, engine started as if nothing happened, I Babied it firm the street to my house, and shut it down.

No oil lights, CEL, nothing.

Just waiting for the dealership service center to call and advise me on what's going on.

Obviously, the high pressure side of the oil system went poop somewhere.

The engine is completely fine.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

All the cars have oil coolers standard. The C7's cooler is a liquid/liquid cooler by the oil pan. I'll bet one of the lines came loose.

There's nothing in a C5/C6 that will auto shut down the car due to low oil pressure. It'll start chimeing at you and flash LOW OIL PRESSURE on the DIC, but it won't turn off until the car runs dry and seizes.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

AFM plumbing maybe?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:17 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
AFM plumbing maybe?
AFM is just a special type of lifter... it's not an external line or fitting.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by travisnd
AFM is just a special type of lifter... it's not an external line or fitting.
Was thinking maybe a crack in this.

Lifter Oil Manifold
Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM
red guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that, please keep us updated.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM
nailyo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but pics or it didint happen.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

What a bummer, GM QC strikes again! Whatever you find out it is I'd tell them to give you a new car, 11 miles and losing something that catastrophic is complete and utter BS.

You're lucky it didn't light up, if the car was real hot and all that oil got onto the exhaust it would have.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Without going into the gory details, my son's Grand Prix with 190K miles had an oil sensor "blow out" and the oil level went to completely empty. The engine ran for a little while after the disaster. Bottom line, after the incident which did absolutely no damage to the engine his oil pressure went back to exactly where it was before the blow out after the sensor(and oil) were replaced. He's now at 199K.
He had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge installed - the sensor got damaged when the front wheel drive differential exploded as he was accelerating on ice/dry pavement/ice/dry pavement. Today's engines (and oils) can withstand a lot of disasters.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
What a bummer, GM QC strikes again! Whatever you find out it is I'd tell them to give you a new car, 11 miles and losing something that catastrophic is complete and utter BS.

You're lucky it didn't light up, if the car was real hot and all that oil got onto the exhaust it would have.
Because a major problem has NEVER happened to a new car from any manufacturer other than GM before It's not like the car caught on fire on the road... hmmm... where did I read about that happening?

I've seen a similar issue with a BMW when a tech didn't tighten the oil cap properly and the hot oil poured out... not suggesting that is the issue but who knows what happened at this point.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What a bummer, GM QC strikes again!
Just don't build them like those Acura you sell, huh?

Last edited by ATX-C7; 03-10-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

I would be out of my mind. The oil is going to be everywhere on the underside of the car. Probably in places that you can't see or get to without disassembling to get cleaned. I would not want dirt and road grime clinging to that oil everywhere and be there forever. At minimum I would demand that they get the car on a lift and do a low pressure power wash everywhere and let you see it while up there before you agree to take it back. The possible engine wear and damage is a whole nother story. Whether accurate or not, they will tell you all will be fine and say not to worry about anything. They won't want to eat your car and get you a new one. Demand a manufacturer rep get involved right off the bat. Good luck, hopefully all goes well.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gthal
Because a major problem has NEVER happened to a new car from any manufacturer other than GM before It's not like the car caught on fire on the road... hmmm... where did I read about that happening?

I've seen a similar issue with a BMW when a tech didn't tighten the oil cap properly and the hot oil poured out... not suggesting that is the issue but who knows what happened at this point.
It's an 11 mile car Heath, and had it got up to temp. it would have caught fire.

And of course it happens to all manufacturers but I have to tell you, IMO the amount of continual problems with this car are beyond excessive and anyone who says differently is in denial.

I for one would not want that car anymore, it probably reeks of oil.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Just don't build them like those Acura you sell, huh?
That's the first thing you've said that makes sense, glad to see you're making progress!

Get notified of new replies

To Extreme Oil Leak!!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

IMO the amount of continual problems with this car are beyond excessive
Define 'continual' and please give examples and number of instances of each.

So what are you suggesting, everyone stop buying them?

And those that do take them the scrap pile?

That's the first thing you've said that makes sense, glad to see you're making progress!
The pride of selling Japanese cars
Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

IMO the amount of continual problems with this car are beyond excessive and anyone who says differently is in denial. .
You have ABSOLUTELY NO credible basis on which to base such a claim.

There have been what, over 12K C7 manufactured? And what percentage of those cars have reported problems? 1%? 10% 13.2%? Face it, you don't really know (unless you've seen some documented evidence somewhere)?

That's why anecdotal evidence is never used in scientific circles......
Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

It's an 11 mile car Heath, and had it got up to temp. it would have caught fire.
No doubt it is a serious issue.

And of course it happens to all manufacturers but I have to tell you, IMO the amount of continual problems with this car are beyond excessive and anyone who says differently is in denial.
I'm not sure how you are defining "excessive" and where you are getting your data from.

At this point, it is your subjective view, based on anecdotal evidence, only and part of that view is based on your personal perspective and bias. You might be right, you might not be too. With over 18,000 cars on the road now, I'm not sure how what we hear on this forum could be considered "beyond excessive" in any sense of the phrase. There have, without a doubt, been some teething problems... the question I would ask is whether this any more "excessive" than any other new car? My subjective and biased view is it is no different than most any other car... maybe I'm in denial, maybe I'm not.

I'd love to see data on this but we know it doesn't exist and this is speculation on your part at this point mixed with a little bit of bias against the C7. You show any of us how the problems to date have been "beyond excessive" for a first year, re-designed car and I will admit to being completely "in denial" and happily eat crow

I for one would not want that car anymore, it probably reeks of oil.
Here we may agree depending on the severity of the damage... again, speculation until we know more.

Last edited by gthal; 03-10-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Extreme Oil Leak!!