Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Default Extreme Oil Leak!!

My baby (with only 11 miles on it) literally puked almost all of the oil out.

It puddled everywhere underneath the hood, sprayed the hood liner on the driver side, coated the entire undercarriage, and even coated the entire back of the car in oil. I was getting on the freeway, and at 70 mph, a massive cloud of white smoke shot out the back of the car. It didn't make a noise like a pop, crack, or anything that I could hear.

The car still will run perfectly. (I rolled it off the freeway with the engine off) and turned it on and drove it home about 1.5 miles away. Engine did not blow, ran very smooth.

The huge cloud of smoke, I assume, came from oil being sprayed all over the exhaust manifolds.

I checked the oil level and it is basically bone dry.

I had it put on a tow truck to the local dealership.


Never heard of such a catastrophic oil leak. It literally emptied all of it.

Every hear of something like this?
C7pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Default

That sounds truly disastrous! I've never heard of such a discharge of oil from the engine.

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
KenHorse
Obama is a dangerous Putz
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
KenHorse's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui..... The Obama Regime is The Most Dishonest, Corrupt And Criminal In US History©
Default

Sounds like maybe the oil filter gasket failed? I had that happen to me many many years ago on a Honda

Wouldn't be unusual if it was overtightened....
KenHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
My baby (with only 11 miles on it) literally puked almost all of the oil out.

It puddled everywhere underneath the hood, sprayed the hood liner on the driver side, coated the entire undercarriage, and even coated the entire back of the car in oil. I was getting on the freeway, and at 70 mph, a massive cloud of white smoke shot out the back of the car. It didn't make a noise like a pop, crack, or anything that I could hear.

The car still will run perfectly. (I rolled it off the freeway with the engine off) and turned it on and drove it home about 1.5 miles away. Engine did not blow, ran very smooth.

The huge cloud of smoke, I assume, came from oil being sprayed all over the exhaust manifolds.

I checked the oil level and it is basically bone dry.

I had it put on a tow truck to the local dealership.


Never heard of such a catastrophic oil leak. It literally emptied all of it.

Every hear of something like this?
Is your car a Z51?
JoesC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
FLYNLO
CF Senior Member
 
FLYNLO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: Kemah Tx
Send a message via AIM to FLYNLO
Default

...and just because it didn't register on the dipstick does not mean it was "bone dry". And be careful about how you express yourself reference "driving 1.5 miles" after saying it was bone dry. There could be warranty implications for continuing to drive it after you already knew something was very wrong.
FLYNLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
mjw930
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Default

What did the oil pressure gauge show and did any service engine or oil warning lights come on?

From a previous post I'm assuming this is not a Z51.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Woodson
CF Senior Member
 
Woodson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary Alberta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
drove it home about 1.5 miles away.

I checked the oil level and it is basically bone dry.
Uhhh. Just sayin'
Woodson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Crossed Flags Fan
CF Senior Member
 
Crossed Flags Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Cut Throat, New York
Default

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!
Crossed Flags Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
SRQStingray
CF Senior Member
 
SRQStingray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Sarasota Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
Uhhh. Just sayin'
Why in the hell would you drive it home? To make sure it was completely destroyed?
SRQStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
FLYNLO
CF Senior Member
 
FLYNLO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: Kemah Tx
Send a message via AIM to FLYNLO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
Uhhh. Just sayin'
Which was my point ref the warranty implications.
FLYNLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
What did the oil pressure gauge show and did any service engine or oil warning lights come on?

From a previous post I'm assuming this is not a Z51.
Correct, it is a Non-Z51.

The check engine light did NOT come on.
C7pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQStingray View Post
Why in the hell would you drive it home? To make sure it was completely destroyed?


I was so close to home, all I could think of was to just limp it home and check it out. When it drove just fine, I guess I was a bit confused, in that weird mental state, and just drove it home.

Stupid, thinking back on it. Sometimes you just get into a mind set and go with it.

No flames, no smell, no CEL, temp gauge read normal, car drove fine, I zoned in to getting it home. Had oil not smoked off the exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't have had a clue anything was wrong.
C7pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Default

And my driveway has the most horrible oil stain I've ever seen. It dripped off from all over the underside of the car, not just the engine bay area.

Gonna have to clean that up!
C7pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
ATX-C7
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ATX-C7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
And my driveway has the most horrible oil stain I've ever seen. It dripped off from all over the underside of the car, not just the engine bay area.

Gonna have to clean that up!
Plug still on? Filter in place? Any pics?
ATX-C7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
mjw930
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
I was so close to home, all I could think of was to just limp it home and check it out. When it drove just fine, I guess I was a bit confused, in that weird mental state, and just drove it home.

Stupid, thinking back on it. Sometimes you just get into a mind set and go with it.

No flames, no smell, no CEL, temp gauge read normal, car drove fine, I zoned in to getting it home. Had oil not smoked off the exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't have had a clue anything was wrong.
You didn't mention it but did your OIL GAUGE show pressure at all times?

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX-C7 View Post
Plug still on? Filter in place? Any pics?
No pics. Filter was there.

Hard to see under such a low car.
C7pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
KenHorse
Obama is a dangerous Putz
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
KenHorse's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui..... The Obama Regime is The Most Dishonest, Corrupt And Criminal In US History©
Default

My money is still on the filter gasket.....
KenHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
jsiddall
CF Senior Member
 
jsiddall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Kanata ON
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
You didn't mention it but did your OIL GAUGE show pressure at all times?

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.


If the leak was on the way back to the pan and it never went dry then the oil pressure never dropped an no harm was done to the internals.
jsiddall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
GOLD72
CF Senior Member
 
GOLD72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Missouri City, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
You didn't mention it but did your OIL GAUGE show pressure at all times?

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.
If memory serves me, the engine is programmed to shut down on really low oil pressure so I am thinking there was still enough oil in the sump to get you home without oil pressure getting too low.
__________________
GOLD72

1972 WB Coupe L48/TH400 - Sold
2001 QS Z06 - Sold
2006 VY Z06 - NCM Delivery - Sold
2007 MR Vert - NCM Delivery & Wife's Garage Queen
2010 Vanilla Latte CTS 3.6L Sport Wagon - Wife's DD
2011 AW ZR1 - NCM Delivery & Daily Beater
GOLD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
You didn't mention it but did your OIL GAUGE show pressure at all times?

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.
The oil light never came on, and the gauge, honestly, I didn't check while the car was still on because I just drove it home real quick, parked it, and pushed it when I had to move it. (Electronic parking brake is annoying as hell btw, lol)
C7pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page Extreme Oil Leak!!
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Symptoms of New Catalytic Converter or other problem? twentyeggs C4 General Discussion 1 11-15-2012 10:19 PM
Gas in oil pan again!!! Ricky 91 vette C4 Tech/Performance 31 08-10-2011 03:15 AM
Oil leak around dipstick tube surfer93 C4 Tech/Performance 8 07-16-2011 04:54 AM
Smoking ZZ383 65 fi C1 & C2 Corvettes 17 01-15-2010 02:07 AM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Emails & Password Backup