Sponsored by:

Unlock auto transmission with dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:11 AM
williammease
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Unlock auto transmission with dead battery

I have a 2015 Z06 with the 8 speed auto transmission. My battery is dead so the trans is locked up and it can't be towed. How do I unlock the trans into neutral?
Old 09-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I'm sure there's a way, but I can't find it in the OM. All it says that if all else fails, call the dealer. If possible get a set of long jumpers cables, and jump that baby off. It will be much easier.

After that, buy yourself a good a battery maintainer to keep the battery charged. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:24 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

When my motor blew it took out the 350 amp fuse and the front fuse box ... no one knows why but .... I was in the same boat , could not power up anything so the flat bed driver had to "drag " it up on the bed .

But if your battery is just dead .... go by a cheap jump box

Dave
Old 09-07-2019, 08:30 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

A battery tender (if you don't have a charger) will give it enough juice in an hour or so of charging (mine has a higher amp setting as on option).
Old 09-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

I think a few options. Can you get to the trunk?
Option 1: Invest. I finally bought one of those portable jumper batteries. Has easily paid for itself with my vehicles, jumping neighbors, co-workers and may have charged a few electronics during power outages.
Option 2: Try to charge the battery to get enough juice to get the transmission in neutral as someone has mentioned.
Option 3: Jumper cables as someone has mentioned.
Option 4: Drag it up the flatbed. Already mentioned and not recommended if possible.

Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:06 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I always carry a jumper battery in my Corvette. When the battery dies, the car seems possessed.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:15 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rckt
I always carry a jumper battery in my Corvette. When the battery dies, the car seems possessed.

Possessed? Such a kind word for demonic paganisticly horrible!

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-07-2019 at 09:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
Rebel Yell (09-08-2019), yellow2007 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Asleep@thewheel
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 42 Posts

I found this from another thread (no clue if it works, or not):

Well for everyone wondering, I have finally found override button by the shifter. It's on the left side and it's the middle hole. You just need the right tool to squeeze in there

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

If your battery isn't completely dead and can power up the dash, you can just press and hold the start button for 10 seconds putting it into accessory mode and the shifter will unlock. Or you could add a starter pack and do the same thing if it's completely dead.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:46 AM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,080 Likes on 634 Posts

avoid this at all costs.........it's not pretty...
Old 09-07-2019, 11:54 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

What everyone else here says and read this recent thread: Battery Jump Starters. Simple: buy one, charge it up, throw it in the rear hatch, forget about it until you need it. I learned my lesson.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:13 PM
0Antigravity
Former Vendor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi All we are a Vendor on the site named Antigravity Batteries. We have a few products that fit your needs.

We make the MICRO-START mini Jump Starters. Ours was rated Consumer Reports #1 rated Jump Starter. You can see them here. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro.../micro-starts/

We also make an Amazing Lithium-Ion Starter Battery that would NEVER allow you to have a dead Battery Emergency like those described above because it has WIRELESS Built-In Jump Starting.... so you will never be stranded with a Dead Battery again, or locked out of the Car. WE call it our RE-START feature. Our Antigravity Battery RE-START Automotive batteries intelligently monitor their voltages and if they sense they are getting over-discharged they will put themselves to sleep with just enough capacity to start the car about 5 times, or just to energize the car. All you do is simply press the provided WIRELESS Keyfob to awaken the battery , start you car and drive away. You don't even have to access the battery at all.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...es/automotive/

Old 09-07-2019, 03:10 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hi All we are a Vendor on the site named Antigravity Batteries. We have a few products that fit your needs.

We make the MICRO-START mini Jump Starters. Ours was rated Consumer Reports #1 rated Jump Starter. You can see them here. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro.../micro-starts/

We also make an Amazing Lithium-Ion Starter Battery that would NEVER allow you to have a dead Battery Emergency like those described above because it has WIRELESS Built-In Jump Starting.... so you will never be stranded with a Dead Battery again, or locked out of the Car. WE call it our RE-START feature. Our Antigravity Battery RE-START Automotive batteries intelligently monitor their voltages and if they sense they are getting over-discharged they will put themselves to sleep with just enough capacity to start the car about 5 times, or just to energize the car. All you do is simply press the provided WIRELESS Keyfob to awaken the battery , start you car and drive away. You don't even have to access the battery at all.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...es/automotive/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zZ0ZAIRkc
Waiting for reviews for anyone who has used this battery which is not cheap.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2007

avoid this at all costs.........it's not pretty...
WTF - I would send home any tow truck that did that. Most "professionals" carry those tire dolly gadgets, I forget the name of them - they slip on under the tire, and they jack up the tires on little wheels and you can easily roll the car around in any direction. They use them to get cars out of light spots too.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

^^^
Exactly.
But I see something small and red by the left rear wheel, perhaps a similar item?
Old 09-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Flame Red
WTF - I would send home any tow truck that did that. Most "professionals" carry those tire dolly gadgets, I forget the name of them - they slip on under the tire, and they jack up the tires on little wheels and you can easily roll the car around in any direction. They use them to get cars out of light spots too.
Most professionals in my area DONOT carry wheel dollies.... and we have some big companies out here.
Everybody .. uses wheel lift trucks
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-07-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
^^^
Exactly.
But I see something small and red by the left rear wheel, perhaps a similar item?
Jim he is using the wheel lift on the truck , hard pressed to find the old style tow truck that used a cable and straps . They slide the wheel lift under the car and a second brace wraps around the front of the wheel when the back is in place (the red you see in the picture ) . Then they just lift and strap the wheel to the tow bar
That's why nobody carrys dollies anymore .. they can send that thing in on an angle and pull a car right out of a parking space
In this picture I am sure he is going to lift the back wheels up and then push the car on to the flatbed where the tires will slide easily

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-07-2019 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gearhead Jim (09-07-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Unlock auto transmission with dead battery

Old 09-07-2019, 05:04 PM
0Antigravity
Former Vendor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rckt
Waiting for reviews for anyone who has used this battery which is not cheap.
Hey rckt,

We are new to the Vette side of things... but we are quite big on the Porsche side of things. And there are a ton of posts about our stuff on the RENNLIST Forum which is the biggest Porsche Forum in the World. If you aware of Porsche owners they are about the most difficult to please Automotive Customers around. I'm a Porsche owner myself, I know this crowd well, if you product suck they will demolish you. But scan around there a bit and do some searches regarding Antigravity Batteries... you will find the a ton of stuff, and also if your interested in this technology we have answered every possible question in the universe over there....

Here's some links...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...riences-2.html This one is a guy recently who wanted to get some review on our product like yourself....

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-model-2.html General Forum post when we introduced the LATEST model with the WIRELESS BUILT-IN JUMP STARTING.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...install-5.html This is a great infomation thread. I explain alot about Lithium Batteries if you ever want to understand alot about them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-2-gt3-2.html This is the mother of all Lithium Battery threads... but 28 pages of stuff.
The following users liked this post:
rckt (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 05:59 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Funny story about the tow trucks: I had an alignment and while driving home, 3 lug nuts fell off and my RR wheel and it started to wobble (they forgot to tighten and bought me new lugs all the way around). I pulled over and called OnStar. An hour later (no OnStar provided tow yet), an old *** jalopy 1TN home-made tow truck (late 90s) came up and offered me a tow. I looked it. I looked at him. I laughed. He didn't.

Long story short: he had a piece of steel thing that went under the car from Drivers side to Passenger side. He then secured the wheels to this thing. He lifted the car from this metal thing. I have a very low front splitter, he never even came close. I'd prefer this way now -- rather than a roll back. I called OnStar and cancelled their 1.5hr later tow solution. That tow truck driver is now on speed dial. (Tow truck drivers: I am so sorry I butchered that tool named as "thing")
Old 09-13-2019, 11:23 AM
williammease
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys, thanks for all your input! Once I replaced a 350 fuse everything returned to normal. No tow, no transmission stuck in gear.

Quick Reply: Unlock auto transmission with dead battery