Sponsored by:

Question concerning Houston area sales.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:19 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tdhood
I was talking to the GM at Lone Star yesterday & he says that they're now honoring GSU discounts, since the supply into Houston has eased substantially.
Do tell I bought my (used) C6Z06 from them and am in the market for a shark grey 2015. If they are accepting supplier that would be a lot closer than some other dealers I was considering ordering from.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Here is the link to Classic's 2014 discounts-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stingrays.html
Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM
tdhood
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Do tell I bought my (used) C6Z06 from them and am in the market for a shark grey 2015. If they are accepting supplier that would be a lot closer than some other dealers I was considering ordering from.
I've been working with Craig Kabzinski (New Vehicle Sales Manager) over the phone to arrange courtesy delivery - which is a new thing for Lone Star. He told me last week (Thursday, Friday?) they're honoring GSU on 15's now. I stopped by Saturday to meet him in person, but talked to Johnnie Smith (GM) instead - who confirmed what Craig told me.

Good luck,

Troy Hood
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

I've been working with Craig Kabzinski (New Vehicle Sales Manager) over the phone to arrange courtesy delivery - which is a new thing for Lone Star. He told me last week (Thursday, Friday?) they're honoring GSU on 15's now. I stopped by Saturday to meet him in person, but talked to Johnnie Smith (GM) instead - who confirmed what Craig told me.

Good luck,

Troy Hood
Thank you. I sent Johnnie an email directly so hopefully I will have an answer soon. What color/options did you go with??
Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 PM
tdhood
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Thank you. I sent Johnnie an email directly so hopefully I will have an answer soon. What color/options did you go with??
I went for the 3LT Z51 Coupe, white with red interior & calipers. It's finished with black ears, tail, logos & sneakers. I had to get the magnetic suspension, but bypassed most of the cosmetic touches in favor of the monochrome look.

(Not my car, but it's a close match)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

I went for the 3LT Z51 Coupe, white with red interior & calipers. It's finished with black ears, tail, logos & sneakers. I had to get the magnetic suspension, but bypassed most of the cosmetic touches in favor of the monochrome look.
Very cool!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

I drove a couple of c7s in March at the dealer in Pearland. They had $$$$ of markup on all the c7s there. No way!

I ordered mine from a forum dealer, then found another dealer closer who honored the supplier (and employee) discounts and bought there instead.

A dealer in the DFW area had the exact car I wanted but refused to budge off MSRP. This was all in March.

At this time of year, I can't believe any of them are still trying to pull that on the 14s.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston C7
We could be twins. Munday did the exact same thing to me. They claimed a new GM was responsible. I guess they thought I would just roll over. I will say I had no problem getting my deposit back.

I have now ordered from MacMulkin as well, and am using Strickland for courtesy delivery also.

I thought about taking my written documentation and giving it to the local TV consumer reporters, and letting them have a field day. Now that it sounds like that is Munday's way of doing business, I may revive that idea.
I too thought I was getting a C7 at Employee pricing from Munday. When it arrived they cleverly declined to make the sale at the discount, but they said I could have done it at MSRP. Unfortunately, I did not have it in writing because I did not think it was necessary. My bad!

I got my deposit back and will never darken the doors of Munday again even though I drive by there every day. And I'm also in the market for another Chevrolet as well, but it won't come from Munday. I'll drive much farther, do two deals, and be much happier.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried unsuccessfully for months to work out anything with any Houston dealers, and also had no luck with a few DFW dealers. Ended up buying mine in Mexia, of all places. Check them out.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 AM
wv8090
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck,

Troy Hood
Hey for what its worth Craig is a cool guy, I bought my C7 from him too.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 AM
bjhayes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston C7
We could be twins. Munday did the exact same thing to me. They claimed a new GM was responsible. I guess they thought I would just roll over. I will say I had no problem getting my deposit back.

I have now ordered from MacMulkin as well, and am using Strickland for courtesy delivery also.

I thought about taking my written documentation and giving it to the local TV consumer reporters, and letting them have a field day. Now that it sounds like that is Munday's way of doing business, I may revive that idea.
Same thing they did with me... New GM excuse.... I tried several times to reach their GM but he would never respond so I finally filed a complaint with BBB and input my experience to dealerrater.com with cut & paste of all emails with them that clearly showed they promised (multiple times) to honor the supplier pricing program.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 AM
bjhayes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracla
I too thought I was getting a C7 at Employee pricing from Munday. When it arrived they cleverly declined to make the sale at the discount, but they said I could have done it at MSRP. Unfortunately, I did not have it in writing because I did not think it was necessary. My bad!

I got my deposit back and will never darken the doors of Munday again even though I drive by there every day. And I'm also in the market for another Chevrolet as well, but it won't come from Munday. I'll drive much farther, do two deals, and be much happier.
Don't think having it in writing would have helped much. I had it in writing from them multiple times but after I ordered they called to say they would no longer honor it but would do MSRP pricing (new GM excuse). I cancelled right then. At least with me they called before the car was actually delivered.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm in Houston & when I was getting ready to order my '15 in July, all the dealers I talked to (Knapp, Parkway, Lone Star, Munday) were asking MSRP for ordered cars.

Further, none where willing to honor GSU (supplier) discounts at that time, which amounts to roughly 10% of MSRP. I ordered from Hendrick in Kansas City & I'm having the car courtesy delivered to Lone Star just down the street from me. Lone Star is charging $300-ish for PDI & make-ready, so it's a decent deal.

I was talking to the GM at Lone Star yesterday & he says that they're now honoring GSU discounts, since the supply into Houston has eased substantially.

This is something that (I believe) anyone can get, just by being a member of a qualifying credit union.

Head over to https://www.mygmdiscount.com/ and create an account. From there, you can get a list of participating credit unions.
Have you looked into a GSU discount via credit union membership at http://mygmdiscount.com?

My '15 3LT Z51 stickered at $72,530 & I paid $65,916 using the GSU discount.
Would this (http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/Home-119.html) be where I would join the credit union?

Originally Posted by jschindler
NEVER believe when a dealer tells you that. Negotiate, but don't threaten. I'd bet lots of money that a good negotiator could get at least a $2000 discount in Houston. You just have to learn the skills of negotiating and dealing with them in general. No question they are better at it than most buyers are.
I'm not this close to buying a car that I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and do battle with the Chevy people.

One thing I did learn through this thread is how easy it seems to have a local dealer do the prep and stuff when buying out of state. No arguing and wheeling and dealing. Just pay them $300 and take delivery.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 09-23-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 AM
tdhood
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
Would this (http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/Home-119.html) be where I would join the credit union?
I don't think so - that appears to be a credit union promotion site. You probably can get signed up to a credit union there, but there's no guarantee that the credit union you choose is currently participating in the GM discount program.

I'd recommend first going to the site I mentioned earlier (mygmdiscount.com) & starting the signup process. During the signup process, you get a list of participating institutions. Once you get the list, you can abandon the signup process for now.

(For what it's worth, I've used San Antonio Federal Credit Union in the past & they're easy enough to work with.)

Once you pick a likely candidate for your credit union, work with them separately to open an account and get their GM discount program member number. After you get this number, you can finish your mygmdiscount.com signup.

After signup, you can apply for a discount authorization code. I was allowed 2 codes per year & each code was valid for 6 months after its issue date. You can configure your car just as you want & see the price complete with GSU discount.

Hope this helps...

tdh
Old 09-26-2014, 01:07 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

I've learned a whole lot and appreciate all of the replies.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

I've learned a whole lot and appreciate all of the replies.
The dealer I used is doing employee and supplier price on the 2015 and isn't nearly as far as some of the others mentioned here. I personally like picking up and driving home.

Will PM you their info.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:21 AM
wan65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scnhra
Do yourself a favor. Order out of State and have it shipped. If you have a trade have that worked in. I live in Pearland and all the stuff you said, I ran into. I was told those online dealers will not sale for what they say, there will be fees that will make the deals all the same. BS! I got a great deal traded a 2010 Camaro SS. Corvette was shipped to me from MI, my trade was shipped when I received the Vette. The only downside was I had to wait.

If you just want to spend your money Autonation on 45 will do MSRP. They will start at more but will come down. Norman Friede will as well according to a friend.

We are about to get into the time that no one up north sales Vettes due to weather or at least slows down, so shop and find a deal you like, and see if a dealer here will match. In the long run just take your time if money is a concern.
Sounds like you been to Strickland Chevy in Pearland, I was very disappointed on there prices and line of BS, I ordered mind through Robbins chevy in Humble tx, paid MSRP and didn't take too long to get it.

Last edited by wan65; 09-26-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question concerning Houston area sales.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

I've been away for awhile, but looking at maybe getting another Vette.

I haven't really been paying attention to the Vette's for awhile. I was thinking about trying to get a great buy on a 2013 C6, but my primary thoughts never came about.

Today, I was lucky enough to take a test drive in a new 2015 auto coupe. The car was unreal! The salesman told me they were still getting MSRP plus for the cars in the Houston area. He also told me that they were getting more money over MSRP for the 2014, versus the 2015 which made no sense at all.

Basically are the Houston area cars really demanding MSRP plus, or was this just him telling me that? I did tell him that there was no way in hell I would ever pay even a nickel over MSRP, then he seemed to lighten up a bit.

Still, since he let me take a test drive, I will cut him a bit of slack. He could've gave me the old "most Corvette buyers don't want any miles on their cars, so we don't allow test drives" which I've heard before.

Also, are there any 'go to' places in Houston to get the best deal?

Thanks in advance.
He was just telling you that, Knapp Chevy Downtown might shoot you straight.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:12 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Yesterday I did some out of the box thinking.

To explain why..........a couple of months ago my wife decided she wanted a 4 door car for around town stuff. Even though there isn't any kids or grandkids just her and I, she always wants a 4 door car. We couldn't decide between a Chevy SS or a Dodge Charger SRT, however the deciding factor was that the Chevy SS looked like any other Impala/Malibu, but the Charger SRT stood out. I did a bit of searching and since she really wanted the Plum Crazy model, this was extra hard to find as only the very top of the line version or the Super Bee came in that color. I found a 2014 Super Bee in Plum Crazy at Texas Direct Auto that was totally loaded out with everything but navigation, and it had the window sticker in the car. The window sticker was $48,000, however we bought the car for $38,300.......and the car had <2,000 miles on it and still had the new car smell. I felt this was a great buy.

So, having made a great buy at TDA for the Charger SRT, I thought maybe I could find a very low mileage C7 for a steal. This was not to be. While the Dodge was greatly marked down, the price of the C7 Vettes were very close to buying a brand new one at MSRP.

Now before anybody slaps my hand and tells me a C7 isn't a Dodge, we don't need to dumb it down to that level. My thought was that I had one great buy on an almost brand new car, so the 50 mile round trip to TDA to hear the negative news was OK. It wasn't a great loss. However we did get to take our time and check out all the bells and whistles in the car and check it out from top to bottom. I guess I always feel rushed or intimidated at a new car dealer unless I'm at least 90% sure I'm buying or ordering a car from them.

Tomorrow we're going by to talk to JoeClassic about his pricing and see what he has to offer. Here is his ad, and even if we don't make a deal, there is a good chance he can be my Houston area 'go to' guy. I do know a few years back both Classic in Sugarland and Landmark in North Houston closed down and had terrible reputations, however I haven't seen any negativity against the new ownership, so I'll forgive and forget the bad news from a few years ago and see what they have to offer.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stingrays.html

Somebody mentioned Robbins up in Humble, however last Saturday when I went by there, I was treated in a very rude manner. Also, this is something that may not concern others, they only had two handicapped parking spots, and they were using them for new car/truck delivery. Something about that (lack of respect or compassion for those who need those parking spots) plus the rude manner in which I was treated..........I won't go back.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:20 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Have you considered the Dodge Challenger with the Hellcat V8 that produces 707 hp? It might be a nice change from the same Corvette deal this time around? They're only $59K new.

Quick Reply: Question concerning Houston area sales.