Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question concerning Houston area sales.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:29 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Question concerning Houston area sales.

I've been away for awhile, but looking at maybe getting another Vette.

I haven't really been paying attention to the Vette's for awhile. I was thinking about trying to get a great buy on a 2013 C6, but my primary thoughts never came about.

Today, I was lucky enough to take a test drive in a new 2015 auto coupe. The car was unreal! The salesman told me they were still getting MSRP plus for the cars in the Houston area. He also told me that they were getting more money over MSRP for the 2014, versus the 2015 which made no sense at all.

Basically are the Houston area cars really demanding MSRP plus, or was this just him telling me that? I did tell him that there was no way in hell I would ever pay even a nickel over MSRP, then he seemed to lighten up a bit.

Still, since he let me take a test drive, I will cut him a bit of slack. He could've gave me the old "most Corvette buyers don't want any miles on their cars, so we don't allow test drives" which I've heard before.

Also, are there any 'go to' places in Houston to get the best deal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:35 AM
IceMezzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order out of state and have it shipped.. places like www.kerbeck.com are giving $4,000 to $7,000 off sticker price.. Small corvette dealers don't get many allocations so they try to maximize the profit from each sale. Dealers like kerbeck sell 100's of corvettes a month... I just ordered my coupe, MSRP was 72k, I paid 65k. Even if shipping costs you $1000 you still way ahead of the game.

If your gonna call them, send me a PM and will give you my salesman's info..
Old 09-21-2014, 03:19 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Cars.com is showing there are still over two thousand unsold 2014s at the dealers. I just don't understand a dealer asking MSRP (sometimes several thousand over MSRP) for a 2014 C7 that's been sitting on their lot for five months, but it's happening.

That's the first I've heard of any 2015s being on a dealer's lot. Cars.com doesn't show any at all anywhere. I figured they were only building cars that people had ordered, not ones for dealer stock.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:49 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 387 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

While I currently have mine on order here in Dallas there are plenty of 2015's arriving that were not pre-ordered and the dealerships are not asking above MSRP. I would guess it to be the same in Houston and they guy was just feeling you out. You could make the three hour drive to Dallas and almost have your choice of 2015's at MSRP.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston, is selling 2015 Corvette's at MSRP.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 AM
scnhra
Instructor

Do yourself a favor. Order out of State and have it shipped. If you have a trade have that worked in. I live in Pearland and all the stuff you said, I ran into. I was told those online dealers will not sale for what they say, there will be fees that will make the deals all the same. BS! I got a great deal traded a 2010 Camaro SS. Corvette was shipped to me from MI, my trade was shipped when I received the Vette. The only downside was I had to wait.

If you just want to spend your money Autonation on 45 will do MSRP. They will start at more but will come down. Norman Friede will as well according to a friend.

We are about to get into the time that no one up north sales Vettes due to weather or at least slows down, so shop and find a deal you like, and see if a dealer here will match. In the long run just take your time if money is a concern.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:27 AM
bjhayes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Several in Houston area are saling at MSRP.... Lone Star and Classic Chevrolet both sale at MSRPa as do many others. I had an order in with Munday Chevrolet at supplier pricing but they 'backed out' of their written agreement after I placed my order and tried to get me to agree to MSRP. I cancelled and ordered out of state from MacMulkin at supplier pricing. It's being courtesy delivered to Strickland Chevrolet, who ironically is one of the dealers still saling at MSRP +.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

call one of our big forum dealers and get exactly what you want.
I'd suggest Mike Furman @ Criswell. He knows Corvettes as well as anyone and can get the car of your dreams.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 AM
tdhood
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Houston & when I was getting ready to order my '15 in July, all the dealers I talked to (Knapp, Parkway, Lone Star, Munday) were asking MSRP for ordered cars.

Further, none where willing to honor GSU (supplier) discounts at that time, which amounts to roughly 10% of MSRP. I ordered from Hendrick in Kansas City & I'm having the car courtesy delivered to Lone Star just down the street from me. Lone Star is charging $300-ish for PDI & make-ready, so it's a decent deal.

I was talking to the GM at Lone Star yesterday & he says that they're now honoring GSU discounts, since the supply into Houston has eased substantially.

This is something that (I believe) anyone can get, just by being a member of a qualifying credit union.

Head over to https://www.mygmdiscount.com/ and create an account. From there, you can get a list of participating credit unions.

Last edited by tdhood; 09-21-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 AM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
call one of our big forum dealers and get exactly what you want.
I'd suggest Mike Furman @ Criswell. He knows Corvettes as well as anyone and can get the car of your dreams.
Second that. Mike has 600 allocations which almost guarantees an order as long as you don't want 0% constraint items. He had my order for a Z51 coupe with standard roof up the same day I gave a deposit, GM accepted the following week and a TPW set the following week. I'm having it courtesy delivered.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
I've been away for awhile, but looking at maybe getting another Vette.

I haven't really been paying attention to the Vette's for awhile. I was thinking about trying to get a great buy on a 2013 C6, but my primary thoughts never came about.

Today, I was lucky enough to take a test drive in a new 2015 auto coupe. The car was unreal! The salesman told me they were still getting MSRP plus for the cars in the Houston area. He also told me that they were getting more money over MSRP for the 2014, versus the 2015 which made no sense at all.

Basically are the Houston area cars really demanding MSRP plus, or was this just him telling me that? I did tell him that there was no way in hell I would ever pay even a nickel over MSRP, then he seemed to lighten up a bit.

Still, since he let me take a test drive, I will cut him a bit of slack. He could've gave me the old "most Corvette buyers don't want any miles on their cars, so we don't allow test drives" which I've heard before.

Also, are there any 'go to' places in Houston to get the best deal?

Thanks in advance.
Give Wes Milby at Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield, MO a call. He is a forum sponsor and discounts(and he knows Corvettes). Not that long a drive(or flight) to Springfield from Houston and enjoy the drive back home to Houston. There are a couple of nice motels just south of Reliable and a Texas Roadhouse between them.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:21 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Forget Houston dealers. No one in Houston came close to MacMulkin's price when I ordered my C6 in August 2012 - NCM delivery. I tried negotiating with the largest Chevy dealer in Spring and they finally agreed to match Tommy Jr.'s price, but would not commit in writing to giving me the $1,500 dealer cash that Tommy would. Forum dealers have the best prices IMHO and one of them will get my order next spring.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Slo Z-06
Cruising

Think Rode Trip. I enjoyed driving from N.H. to Houston. Best buy I could have done.
That place in Pasadena wanted over MSRP.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 PM
max pl
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IceMezzer
Order out of state and have it shipped.. places like www.kerbeck.com are giving $4,000 to $7,000 off sticker price.. Small corvette dealers don't get many allocations so they try to maximize the profit from each sale. Dealers like kerbeck sell 100's of corvettes a month... I just ordered my coupe, MSRP was 72k, I paid 65k. Even if shipping costs you $1000 you still way ahead of the game.

If your gonna call them, send me a PM and will give you my salesman's info..
Wow those are some awesome discounts. I saw they're doing $2500 on their site, but obviously theres a ton more room to negotiate.

You got $7k off an ordered car. I wonder if they do more off from their inventory.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:31 PM
JDLR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom/99
Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston, is selling 2015 Corvette's at MSRP.
Last week I went into Lone Star Chevrolet for my first oil change on my 2014 Stingray. They had a 2015 white Stingray sitting in the showroom available at MSRP. Sid is the guy to talk to, he is an honest and up front salesman. He said they were expecting another shipment.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:01 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks for all the help so far. Please keep those ideas coming in as I'm trying to get some sort of possible game plan together.

Tonight I found out (https://www.gmcard.com/grid-data?reg...hcentral<br />) (zip code 77505) that it appears that the >$3,000 on my GM card can't be applied to a Corvette Coupe. I was hoping to knock off another $2,000 or so. Is there any chance I'm missing something?

Even though I still getting together a game plan, I'm really not in any hurry to pull the strings and make a purchase.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 09-22-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for all the help so far. Please keep those ideas coming in as I'm trying to get some sort of possible game plan together.

Tonight I found out (https://www.gmcard.com/grid-data?reg...hcentral<br />) (zip code 77505) that it appears that the >$3,000 on my GM card can't be applied to a Corvette Coupe. I was hoping to knock off another $2,000 or so. Is there any chance I'm missing something?

Even though I still getting together a game plan, I'm really not in any hurry to pull the strings and make a purchase.
NEVER believe when a dealer tells you that. Negotiate, but don't threaten. I'd bet lots of money that a good negotiator could get at least a $2000 discount in Houston. You just have to learn the skills of negotiating and dealing with them in general. No question they are better at it than most buyers are.

Get notified of new replies

To Question concerning Houston area sales.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 AM
tdhood
Intermediate

I was hoping to knock off another $2,000 or so. Is there any chance I'm missing something?
Have you looked into a GSU discount via credit union membership at http://mygmdiscount.com?

My '15 3LT Z51 stickered at $72,530 & I paid $65,916 using the GSU discount.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Houston C7
Intermediate

We could be twins. Munday did the exact same thing to me. They claimed a new GM was responsible. I guess they thought I would just roll over. I will say I had no problem getting my deposit back.

I have now ordered from MacMulkin as well, and am using Strickland for courtesy delivery also.

I thought about taking my written documentation and giving it to the local TV consumer reporters, and letting them have a field day. Now that it sounds like that is Munday's way of doing business, I may revive that idea.

Originally Posted by bjhayes
Several in Houston area are saling at MSRP.... Lone Star and Classic Chevrolet both sale at MSRPa as do many others. I had an order in with Munday Chevrolet at supplier pricing but they 'backed out' of their written agreement after I placed my order and tried to get me to agree to MSRP. I cancelled and ordered out of state from MacMulkin at supplier pricing. It's being courtesy delivered to Strickland Chevrolet, who ironically is one of the dealers still saling at MSRP +.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

While the pickin's are slim, Classic is offering discounts off their remaining 2014 supply. I'll try and find the link.

Quick Reply: Question concerning Houston area sales.