Sponsored by:

If you have PDR, it's illegal to use it in Valet Mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FCCCVPMan
I will be telling My dealer I do not want the update.
I wouldn't be nonchalant about it. I don't know the law in your state, but illegal wiretapping is often a felony.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:52 PM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Pdr

it is illegal to drive my car without my permission. I don't have a PDR but do have a GO-Pro. I don't let valet park my car which means if someone else is driving it, they don't have my permission. The Go-Pro is very capable in recording who ever is driving. My car! my law!!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Since '05 I've valeted w/o much in the way of worry, but I do have an index card (which I tape to the steering wheel) that says "LOW FRONT-END CLEARANCE! BACK IN ONLY", I might want to add "THIS VEHICLE IS BEING RECORDED", or some-such. Even though it isn't.

I've never had any evidence of any abuse by valets, except a pen left in the cup holder, which may, or may not, have been left by a valet listening to the radio in the wee hours of the morning, but it might be enough to deter some young buck from temptation.

After all, how are they to know it's not really recording?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:49 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope the update plasters a warning on the dash displays saying that the recording is occurring. That done, there will be less chance of running afoul of privacy laws but more importantly less chance someone will be abusing the car.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If they are telling you not to use the PDR in valet mode, then they need to have some warning display.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:19 AM
richelu
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Why couldn't the update include a message on the screen with an acknowledgement button (on the touch screen) that would be required to be pushed before the car could be started?

Then, the valet or whoever, would have offered consent to being recorded. Just a thought...
Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
Our laws are so screwed up......... It's illegal to record someone in your car while they are sneaking it out for a quick drive without your permission!

From GM:

Attention:
General Manager, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Parts and

Service Director, Parts Manager, New Vehicle Sales Manager,

and Warranty Administrator

This notice is being sent to you regarding 2015 model year Corvettes equipped with the Performance Data Recorder (UQT).

The Performance Data Recorder (UQT) in these vehicles, when used in Valet Mode, allows a customer to record the driving of their Corvette when the vehicle is not in their control. In Valet Mode, the PDR will also record activity and conversations that take place in the vehicle.

To help our customers use the Performance Data Recorder (UQT) consistent with legal requirements that pertain to audio recording devices, we will be requiring a very important update to the system of each affected vehicle in the near future. We expect that the update will be available early next month. At that time, we will provide details about the update and let you know what steps you need to take, if any, to complete the update for vehicles in your inventory.

In the meantime, you must advise any customers who take delivery of an impacted vehicle that they should refrain from using the Valet Mode until the update takes place. If they do use the Valet Mode, they should (i) notify any occupants of the vehicle that they will be recorded while in the vehicle, and (ii) obtain their consent to this recording. It is very important that you explain this to each customer at the time of delivery.

Attached is a copy of a written communication for you to provide to customers to accomplish this notice. We are sending the same communication to customers who have already taken delivery of a Corvette vehicle equipped with PDR.

We greatly appreciate your cooperation in conveying this important information to your customers.

so do you carry those consent forms with you everywhere
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Another example of too much energy being expended protecting THE WRONG PEOPLE!
The following users liked this post:
17gs (11-29-2016)
Old 09-23-2014, 07:05 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Last edited by lastcowboy; 09-23-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
It seems odd that this wasn't considered during development of the system.
Maybe GM's lawyers were busy with the iginition switch issue........

Tom
Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

If I understand this correctly, the issue is not with the camera or recording of vehicle data. The issue is with voice recording only. That's the least valuable part of the PDR in valet mode, so it doesn't seem worth all the anguish.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Sounds reasonable to me and I really hope you’re right.

As others have said, if GM wanted a “real” valet mode, there would be a key option that reduced the available power to say 200 HP and say 4000 rpm so some ******** valet clown couldn’t horsewhip your car.

Valid fear of abuse is why I will never put the car in the hands of a valet driver, plus I feel no need to pay absurd prices and tip some high school dropout when I can park a little farther out for free. Call me cheap if you wish, it won’t hurt my feelings. Don
OK, you're cheap!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Here are the states where it is illegal to record without both parties granting permission, likewise all of Canada is the same...it opens you to criminal charges under state law as well as civil suits. So a valet could be looking for some easy money in these states, no one needs the hassle.

Twelve states-California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington-require the consent of all parties for you to record a conversation.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Here are the states where it is illegal to record without both parties granting permission, likewise all of Canada is the same...it opens you to criminal charges under state law as well as civil suits. So a valet could be looking for some easy money in these states, no one needs the hassle.

Twelve states-California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington-require the consent of all parties for you to record a conversation.
unless you are in the car with the valet (or otherwise have obtained consent from at least one person in the car) - you do not have the consent of any party to the conversation.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:36 PM
VettNoob
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Throw this on your front seat, LOL

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
Another example of too much energy being expended protecting THE WRONG PEOPLE!

protect the guilty (so they can continue to vote - multiple times - in the next election)
Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

protect the guilty (so they can continue to vote - multiple times - in the next election)
what do you propose? Every state re-write its wiretapping law to make an exception for taping valets?

Get notified of new replies

To If you have PDR, it's illegal to use it in Valet Mode

Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow very dumb to have to do this update
Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
From what I heard, that's for Canada only. Recording laws in the US vary state-to-state so it gets messy.
This is exactly the kind of post that brings out the hysterics in our group, of which we have more than our share. I'm sure the OPs intentions are honorable but I have no idea if the OP's post is urban legend or authentic. I googled the post and it only appears in Corvette forums. Nothing comes up from GM or any news site. To me this is no different than getting news and information from email forwards: They are seldom accurate and almost always misleading.

I do know in the US the voice recording of people without their permission does very by state.

In MO, you don't need the permission of the other person to record them. It used to be in IL the law said you did need the others permission but the courts said you didn't. That was 20 years ago. It might have changed.

As for video, we live in a age where video camera are everywhere and there are seldom signs warning that we are being recorded. I live in highrise and we have video everywhere. I really don't see how this is any different. If this is an issue, why can't it be solved by a waring on the screen that advises the driver that the video valet mode is engaged and they are being recorded as they drive the car. This will actually solve all the problems the valet mode was intended to solve.

If this is legit we will know soon enough by GM's actions.

Last edited by dwward; 09-23-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
I wouldn't be nonchalant about it. I don't know the law in your state, but illegal wiretapping is often a felony.
This is not part of the wire tapping laws.

In almost all states in the us, your car is an extension of your home, recording there is perfectly legal.

Quick Reply: If you have PDR, it's illegal to use it in Valet Mode