Sponsored by:

Question about non-Z51 tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Default Question about non-Z51 tires

Now, I know the Z-51 equipped cars come with summer tires, but how about the Non-Z51s? Are they summer or all weather tires?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:05 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

They are summer tires and carry the same temp warnings as the Z51 tires though the compound is a bit less aggressive so it's not as quick of a drop off under 40 degrees.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 AM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Default I had the same question

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
Now, I know the Z-51 equipped cars come with summer tires, but how about the Non-Z51s? Are they summer or all weather tires?
I had the same question. I have an appointment in Columbia on Tuesday to get some work done on my new C7 and I am wondering if I can safely drive my car or not. They are forecasting temperatures in the high 20 degree to low 30 degree range??
Old 11-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pkadams
I had the same question. I have an appointment in Columbia on Tuesday to get some work done on my new C7 and I am wondering if I can safely drive my car or not. They are forecasting temperatures in the high 20 degree to low 30 degree range??
Recently had mine out in 29 degrees and found caution to be the word. This combo of tire and torque is the worst I have driven compared to all three C6's previously owned. Can't imagine adding rain or snow to the equation as bad as it is in the dry! Tire pressure was at 30 psi, higher would help a little I think.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,144 Posts

After last winter............ I'm talking driving in temps in the 30s and 40s.... I got all season tires this year. Not preparing for snow driving per say but the car is dangerous sub 50 and tires can crack sub 20s.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Driven my base at 32 degrees, no problems. Did drive it like a Buick. C6 was real bad with GY F1s, got my attention more than once! Here we do not get sustained temperatures below freezing. I think below freezing I am going to use the weather mode, so far I have only used this mode in the rain. We will see.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Take these posts as warning and be very careful out there. We don't want to "read" about you, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

My 2014 C7 is my daily driver. I recently changed out my OEM base tires/wheels to OEM Z51 tires/wheels.

The last few days the temperature has been in the 30's and 40's in Austin. I haven't noticed a lack of traction just more tire hop/chatter on turns (that aren't that tight).

When the ground is colder for longer I may be more cautious but in Austin that won't be for a while so I'm still enjoying normal driving for now.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:12 AM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Concerned about tire damage

I am more concerned about tire damage than driveability issues. I have read that driving on these tires below a certain temperature (I think 20 degrees) can cause damage to the tire. Although I can not confirm that at the Michelin web site. I can drive slowly if neccesary but I don't want to damage brand new tires.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pkadams
I am more concerned about tire damage than driveability issues. I have read that driving on these tires below a certain temperature (I think 20 degrees) can cause damage to the tire. Although I can not confirm that at the Michelin web site. I can drive slowly if neccesary but I don't want to damage brand new tires.
Like any other summer tire they are not meant to be used in cold temps or snow. I have not seen or read any cracking/damage with the base size C7 tires in colder temps but several people here have had problems with the Z51 compound tires (cracking) in cold temps. Since the cars are delivered in the winter and it was pretty cold last year most likely some cars seen below zero temps on transporters.

I've had my base car out in 15 degree sunny weather last year, it by no means turned into a death machine and they performed fine all summer. It was 23 this morning when I drove it and I dont even give it much thought to be honest.. I wont drive the car in snow/sleet/salt so I cant comment on that.

Now the '13 GT500 Goodyears I had previously were flat out dangerous under 40 degrees and they were also prone to cracking in cold temps.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Page 10-50 from my 2015 manual.

The Tire Floor Mats should keep the tires comfortable this winter

Last edited by clegg; 11-15-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:20 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Like any other summer tire they are not meant to be used in cold temps or snow. I have not seen or read any cracking/damage with the base size C7 tires in colder temps but several people here have had problems with the Z51 compound tires (cracking) in cold temps. Since the cars are delivered in the winter and it was pretty cold last year most likely some cars seen below zero temps on transporters.

I've had my base car out in 15 degree sunny weather last year, it by no means turned into a death machine and they performed fine all summer. It was 23 this morning when I drove it and I dont even give it much thought to be honest.. I wont drive the car in snow/sleet/salt so I cant comment on that.

Now the '13 GT500 Goodyears I had previously were flat out dangerous under 40 degrees and they were also prone to cracking in cold temps.
The original bulletin only addressed the Z51 tires, but was revised to include the base tires also. IMHO Chevy was just covering their butt. My wife drives her C7 every day that it's not raining, icy, or snowing, in temps down to the teens. While there is a noticeable drop in traction, grip, and braking as temps drop, there has been no noticeable damage in just over 12k miles of use. In fact, on the day we took Museum delivery, it was 18 F when we arrived at the Museum and was about 30 F when we drove off.

BTW - there have indeed been pictures of cracked tires on newly delivered Z51s, but if I remember correctly, they were in Calgary in Canada and Minnesota.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Would be great if Chevy would start offering the option of having all-season tires on the car right from the factory. Hate to buy the car and then have to purchase another set of tires to drive in the colder temps if you live in an area where that occurs.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:25 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Would be great if Chevy would start offering the option of having all-season tires on the car right from the factory. Hate to buy the car and then have to purchase another set of tires to drive in the colder temps if you live in an area where that occurs.
This.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:28 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
They are summer tires and carry the same temp warnings as the Z51 tires though the compound is a bit less aggressive so it's not as quick of a drop off under 40 degrees.
The Pilot Super Sports on both the Z51 and Base car are identical in tread specs. You can verify this at TireRack when you check out specs on both. The only difference is that the Base car comes with 18" fronts and 19" rears. Z51 has 19" fronts and 20" rears. Since the tires are the same diameter for both cars, the Z51 has shorter sidewalls and hence a lower aspect ratio tire.

I have 3 other cars with Pilot Super Sports that are non-run flats, but have same tire compound. They are the greatest Summer tire in both wet and dry conditions, even when they get close to the wear bars.

Definitely wouldn't drive them when it is below freezing as they get hard and don't bite like an A/S tire. I even noticed it at the strip when the temp was in the high 30's. Got some hop, which meant they weren't hooking up like when it's 70+.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

[QUOTE=EcoBrick Bob;1588270830]The Pilot Super Sports on both the Z51 and Base car are identical in tread specs. You can verify this at TireRack when you check out specs on both. The only difference is that the Base car comes with 18" fronts and 19" rears. Z51 has 19" fronts and 20" rears. Since the tires are the same diameter for both cars, the Z51 has shorter sidewalls and hence a lower aspect ratio tire.

I once thought that too! However, if you read more you will find that the Z51 tires are of a different compound.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

From another thread:

Originally Posted by -CM-
No, the compounds are not the same. The below excerpt is from this page on the Michelin site.

Unlike the MICHELIN tire fitted to the standard 2014 Corvette Stingray, the Z51 tire features a custom dual-tread compound and pattern that achieves near-racing-slick grip and handling levels, while providing longer tread life and wet handling capabilities.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:20 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

I left Mars Hill, North Carolina this AM, it was 25F (was in my C5 with Michelin Pilot R/F tires), it did not get over 45F for most of the trip back to Atlanta, had no issues at all. You just have to drive carefully in those temps.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:28 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

Geez!
Are you suggesting these tires could be damaged if transported in winter at temps lower than 20 degrees? Easily gets that cold in Toledo & other places en route.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about non-Z51 tires

Quick Reply: Question about non-Z51 tires