C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Kracka
32 (31 when ordered/purchased) and this is my first American car. Never before the C7 did I even consider the Corvette. I was previously a turbocharged AWD import guy.
Ha. that sounds exactly like me, except that I have had American cars in the past.. but the three cars I miss and wish I would have kept to build my collection were my 2011 Mustang GT Track Pack, 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR, and my 2000 Acura Integra GS-R. Oh and (I am also 32 and was 31 when I bought my C7
Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by CVG993
C7 is the first Corvette I have also considered. Previous cars being AWD Audi's, Porsche, Subaru, & VW.
Until I actually walked into a dealer about a month ago, I didn't really consider one. Saw it in white, drove one. Have to have it.

I was exactly the same way as you.....

Originally Posted by 08Vert
I am kind of opposite the C7 is a Little too radical styling for me..I love the C6. C7 felt a lot smaller inside as well..I will be looking hard at the Lexus RCF Sport next. 467hp @ 7,100 Got a chance to see the RC350 today at Lexus. Looks better in person. It exudes quality and fit and finish.

For many The Lexus is radical But I think its more subdued than a C7 and won't attract a whole lot of unwanted attention. Not to mention the reliability and superb service experience. There is something to be said about a dealership that doesn't sell and service Aveos and Malibu's next to $75,000 cars.

The RC-F is good looking, but can't agree with you about the C6 versus the C7. It doesn't matter one single bit that my dealership services Aveo's and Malibu's.....ZERO.

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Finding a good service dept. for a Lexus/BMW/Audi is still a crapshoot.

"Unwanted attention"? I'm not buying that theory.

You can spin it however you want, but it's a POSITIVE thing that the looks of the C7 generates all the attention it does. That means a lot of people like it. Let's be honest, the C6 never got this much attention, because to the vast majority, it just doesn't look as good. It's a simple as that.

Totally agree here......the C6 was OK looking, but didn't do enough to make me pull the trigger to buy one. The nose was boring and the bubble dome in back was sure to heat up the cockpit. Then you hear about the complaints on the seats and the plastic interior.....no thanks.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Age 62....1st time Corvette owner. Loved the new style and appearence.

Adding Corvette C7 to my stable of premium cars:

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition

2014 Porsche Cayman
Attached Images    
Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 AM
macdaddy548
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience is similar to others posted above. I became a Porsche guy over 40 years ago when I bought my first 914 because I could not afford the insurance on a preowned Vette. (This was in the early 70's)

I have owned a succession of Porsches, additional 914's an '84 911 which I still own and a Boxster S. I never really considered a Corvette.

Now it was time to buy my retirement car (I'm 66). And I paused and surveyed the field - with a clear preference to get yet another Porsche.

What I found was that beyond the striking appearance of the C7, it brought unexpected levels of creature features (3LT) and incredible performance and supporting technology. Many features can not be replicated in any Porsche (at any price I could afford).

I could no longer justify the price differential between the Vette and nearly any new Porsche. I could have gotten into a reasonably well equipped Boxster S or Cayman S for about the same price. But it would have lacked the performance and technology of the Vette. And a 911 (would have had to go with an S to approach Vette performance) was simply financiallly out of reach.

This car is putting a smile on my face every day!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 AM
commander112
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The fact that the Vette has a rep as an old man's car with gold chains necklaces and the desire to plow woman is certainly there. It was the single largest thing holding me back from buying one. For the last decade I have been buying CTs_V's for this reason alone. Even with that perception out there the C7 has overcome the stigma to some extent. This car is universally attractive. I drive by kids playing and they just stop and give me a thumbs up. Adults of all ages stop and talk with me about this car. I think woman will be the slowest to accept the car as for what it is and not what it was although my youngest girlfriends in their 20's and 30's simply love it while the woman that I know in their 40's and 50's look at the car more as a statement about who they think I may be (the stereotypical Vette guy). I owned C4's in my 20's and moved to Caddy in my 30's and 40's. At 49 and four years after a divorce I am back to the Vette. Probably not forever but this was a compelling value. I see more Caddy's in my futute as I get older.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by commander112
The fact that the Vette has a rep as an old man's car with gold chains necklaces and the desire to plow woman is certainly there. It was the single largest thing holding me back from buying one. For the last decade I have been buying CTs_V's for this reason alone.
It's a shame that other people prevented you from driving something you potentially would have enjoyed owning...I buy my cars for my enjoyment. I could care less what others think.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 AM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I match two on the list. I'm a college graduate and I'm fulfilling a dream.
The C7 is my second Corvette. I traded a 2008 C6 for it. I never considered any foreign sports cars.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The C7 is the first Corvette I liked enough to buy. I was fascinated by the car, but didn't like the entire package enough to spend the money it cost to buy one.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:11 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Not sure what a stereotypical Corvette buyer was (compared to any other car buyer).

The design change of the C7 certainly motivated me to get back into a Corvette after a 20 year + hiatus.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:31 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
This is a Edmunds article dated August 2013 about how Chevrolet is trying with the new C7 to attract new buyers and change the image. Now that the C7 has been out a year how do you feel it has done? In the article it states the average buyer is over 60. Here is the article below

Just the Facts:
The advertising for the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray will target wives of prospective owners and Porsche enthusiasts, Chevrolet said.
The upcoming Corvette advertising will take an unusual twist, with luxury highlighted as much as performance.
The advertising will attempt to shift what Chevrolet says is a negative perception of the man's car in the eyes of women.

MONTEREY, California — Chevrolet is taking a bold step and aiming the redesigned 2014 Corvette Stingray primarily at enthusiasts who prefer German brands.

"We really want to go after the people who buy Porsches, Jaguars, Audis and BMWs and try and get them to look at our car and think a little bit differently about it," said John Fitzpatrick, Chevrolet's marketing manager for the redesigned Corvette. "We will try to convince them that we are a worthy competitor."

The advertising push will try to win over buyers who would never consider a Corvette.

The average Corvette buyer is a man who is over 60.

I think GM has made good strides. I fit in this demographic... a younger (much younger than 60) buyer and a fan of European marques as well as American muscle cars. I had a Camaro SS and have a Boss 302 prior to the C7 but also had a M3 and an AMG before that. Grew up with my dad driving Porsches so I always liked P-cars. I always liked Corvettes too but not highly enough to buy the newer models (C5-C6) until the C7 was revealed on 1/13/13... game changer.

1st time C7 owner here and yes... Corvette lovers and Porsche lovers can exist in the same household.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:31 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Bought my first Corvette when I was 28, paid $3,300.00. It was a used '69. Im on my 6th Corvette now. Torch Red C7. I still have my '08 Z06 too.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?
Yes.

Next question.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Yes.

Next question.
Yes isn't an answer for "How" Just sayin'
Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Yes isn't an answer for "How" Just sayin'
How about NO then. The car is simply the next gen vette. If GM lost its loyal customers the sales would be horrendous.

A few new buyers popped out of the woodwork to replace a few that were getting old to drive. GM is hoping the new will outnumber the old and maintain their typical sales numbers.

More of the same with some modern technology catching up to the GM process.

Need to ask this question to those who decided to go with another car for a true poll.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan12
How about NO then. The car is simply the next gen vette. If GM lost its loyal customers the sales would be horrendous.

A few new buyers popped out of the woodwork to replace a few that were getting old to drive. GM is hoping the new will outnumber the old and maintain their typical sales numbers.

More of the same with some modern technology catching up to the GM process.

Need to ask this question to those who decided to go with another car for a true poll.
I've never been a Corvette "guy" so I'm one that popped out of the woodwork. As I understand it, they sold 36,000 Corvettes last year compared to a normal year with 12,000 sales. That's a big increase, I wonder what sales will be like this year.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I've never been a Corvette "guy" so I'm one that popped out of the woodwork. As I understand it, they sold 36,000 Corvettes last year compared to a normal year with 12,000 sales. That's a big increase, I wonder what sales will be like this year.

Sure, but you are comparing a last year production run with a first year. Like I said this is just a new gen vette. Sales hit mid to high 30's at first and then taper off. Nothing has changed except a few improvements and a few new guys getting in while old guys die off. It’s been happening for 30 years.

2005 C6 first year sales were 37,372 units. Looks like GM is right on track, nothing magical here.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:46 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Current Sales data......
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:54 PM
VmaxFlyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally US automakers are getting woke up like Harley did when Victory came on the scene. And like Harley . will outprice themselves from the crowd that kept them on the map.

Last edited by VmaxFlyer; 11-25-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:36 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 63 knocking on the door of 64. Grew up with Corvettes in my face on TV - Route 66. When I started working I bought a dark green 71 LT1 coupe - loved it. Fast forward to right after first marriage separation - bought a 65 327 roadster - what a disappointment over the 71 LT1. By then it was 1982. The C3s were becoming more and more "plastic" what with the endura fronts and rears. The C4 was, at best evolutionary, not revolutionary. The C5s and C6s were just plain expensive - too expensive for the ride and so-so quality.

I spent the next couple of decades in rice burners or Jeeps. Ho-hum.

Saw my first C7 live and in colour in May of this year. The next week I put down a deposit on my 2015 Z51 coupe. A dream fulfilled "again" but this time it is brand new. I do hope the C7 will not disappoint.

Never been an import fan for sports cars - well Aston-Martin would be the exception. Benz is just old and boring. BMWs are everyday - bought mainly by young people because that is what they were told to buy. Porsche is just an expensive VW to me and a pretentious display of wealth. Audis - not sure about the quality there. Every Audi car I see seems to have a mechanical problem - Audis seem to have a nut behind the wheel that needs adjusting - an attitude adjustment. They seem to have something to prove. They don't. Lexus, Infiniti and Acura - I just don't get why - maybe the drivers want anyone who will pay attention that they can have serious debt or a big lease.

Suffice it to say, the C7 is different.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:49 PM
VmaxFlyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by commander112
The fact that the Vette has a rep as an old man's car with gold chains necklaces and the desire to plow woman is certainly there. It was the single largest thing holding me back from buying one. For the last decade I have been buying CTs_V's for this reason alone. Even with that perception out there the C7 has overcome the stigma to some extent. This car is universally attractive. I drive by kids playing and they just stop and give me a thumbs up. Adults of all ages stop and talk with me about this car. I think woman will be the slowest to accept the car as for what it is and not what it was although my youngest girlfriends in their 20's and 30's simply love it while the woman that I know in their 40's and 50's look at the car more as a statement about who they think I may be (the stereotypical Vette guy). I owned C4's in my 20's and moved to Caddy in my 30's and 40's. At 49 and four years after a divorce I am back to the Vette. Probably not forever but this was a compelling value. I see more Caddy's in my futute as I get older.
XLR for me.

Can one still plow women these days of " big rims" lol??
I've been plowing the "back 40" ...lol...

Last edited by VmaxFlyer; 11-25-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?