Sponsored by:

C7 enthusiast son dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:35 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Default C7 enthusiast son dies

No matter what your politics are...hang in there Joe. Joe is a huge C7 enthusiast.

Story highlights
Beau Biden battled brain cancer
He is the second child of Vice President Joe Biden to die
Beau Biden was 46

Washington (CNN)Joseph "Beau" Biden III, an Iraq War veteran who served as the attorney general of Delaware and was a son of Vice President Joe Biden, died Saturday at age 46, the White House said in a statement.

He died after battling brain cancer, according to the vice president's office.

"Beau Biden was, quite simply, the finest man any of us have ever known," his father wrote in a statement.

Biden had suffered known health problems dating back to 2010, when he experienced a stroke that did not affect his motor skills or speech.

In 2013, Beau Biden was treated at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston after he became disoriented and weak while on vacation. He was diagnosed with brain cancer, and after undergoing surgery was given a clean bill of health.

The cancer returned this spring and Biden pursued aggressive treatment at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, the vice president's office said. He died Saturday evening, surrounded by his extended family.

Aside from Vice President and Dr. Jill Biden, Beau Biden is survived by his wife, Hallie; two children, Natalie and Hunter; a brother, also named Hunter; and a half-sister, Ashley.

He survived wreck that claimed mother, sister
Throughout his 2010 and 2013 health episodes, Beau Biden continued serving as Delaware's attorney general, a position to which he was first elected in 2006. A Democrat like his father, he served for two terms, and announced in 2014 he wouldn't seek another four years in office as he prepared a run for governor.

Beau Biden is the second of Joe Biden's children to precede their father in death; the vice president's 1-year-old daughter Naomi was killed in a Christmastime car accident in 1972. The crash also took the life of Joe Biden's first wife, Neilia, who was Beau's mother.

Beau Biden was 2 years old when his mother was killed in the crash. He and his younger brother Hunter were injured but survived the accident, which occurred when a truck careened into the car the family was riding in.

Joe Biden was sworn in as senator at his sons' hospital bedside a few weeks later, and according to the 1988 political biography "What It Takes," by Richard Ben Cramer, the first-term lawmaker threw himself headlong into single parenthood.

"Joe was the parent. Period. No confusion," Cramer wrote. "Joe didn't want anybody else raising his kids, thanks. He was there every night, every weekend. They had stories at bedtime, games of catch on the lawn, outings, trips, places to go."

Beau and Hunter encouraged their father to remarry, and in 1977 Jill Jacobs, now Jill Biden, wife of the vice president, became their stepmother.

"My mom came along -- I have two moms now -- who came along in 1977 and rebuilt our family, and helped my dad rebuild our family," Beau Biden told CNN in 2012. "She's an incredible mother."

Beau Biden grew up in Delaware and graduated from the same Catholic high school as his father. He received his undergraduate degree at the University of Pennsylvania and attended law school at Syracuse University.

A prosecutor and a politician
After serving as a prosecutor in the U.S. attorney's office in Philadelphia for nine years, and briefly working in private practice, Biden won his first election for attorney general in 2006 by 13,000 votes. When he was re-elected in 2010, Beau Biden increased his winning margin to 149,000 votes over his Republican competitor.

During his time in office, Biden took aggressive tactics to tamp down on child sex crimes perpetrators, netting 180 convictions. He also went after banks and mortgage lenders for their roles in perpetrating crooked loans.

A captain in the Delaware Army National Guard, Beau Biden was deployed to Iraq for a year in 2008, serving in an administrative post with the 261st Signal Brigade.

As a campaign surrogate when Joe Biden was selected as Barack Obama's running mate, Beau Biden acted as a fierce partisan, criticizing Republican opponents for lacking what he said was his father's tell-it-like-it-is honesty. His 2012 speech at the Democratic National Convention brought his father to tears.

And while Beau Biden chose to pursue the same field as his father -- from whom he inherited a square jaw and folksy patter -- he claimed in 2010 the pair didn't regularly talk politics.

"Most of the drama doesn't come to our dinner table. We talk about what my kids are doing -- his grandkids -- my brother's three kids, my sister, we talk about the family," he told CNN. "Most of the time it's not about politics."

Beau Biden is the first child of a sitting president or vice president to die since Patrick Bouvier Kennedy passed away two days after his birth in 1963.

On Saturday, Vice President Biden said in his statement, "More than his professional accomplishments, Beau measured himself as a husband, father, son and brother. His absolute honor made him a role model for our family. Beau embodied my father's saying that a parent knows success when his child turns out better than he did."

President Obama, writing in a statement, quoted Irish poet William Butler Yeats -- a favorite of the vice president's -- in honoring Beau Biden's life.

Yeats wrote, "I have believed the best of every man. And find that to believe it is enough to make a bad man show him at his best or even a good man swing his lantern higher."

"Beau Biden believed the best of us all," Obama said. "For him, and for his family, we swing our lanterns higher."

Last edited by millpond; 05-30-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:48 PM
TorqueDriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-30-2015, 11:53 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Not my favorite politician, but definitely a car guy. Sorry to hear this. No parent should have to bury their child.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zbrett
Sorry to hear this. No parent should have to bury their child.
I agree...can't imagine the pain.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

VP Joe has had a lot of tragedy and hurt in his life..... I'm not a fan of his politics by any stretch of the imagination.....but he's a Husband and Dad, first and foremost....he has to be devastated. My heart goes out to him. I can't imagine losing my son....it would kill me.

God Bless his son and everyone in their families......
Old 05-31-2015, 12:10 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Off Topic?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:14 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Off Topic?
Go away.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:15 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by millpond
Go away.

OK. Bed time.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 AM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by WesC7
VP Joe has had a lot of tragedy and hurt in his life..... I'm not a fan of his politics by any stretch of the imagination.....but he's a Husband and Dad, first and foremost....he has to be devastated. My heart goes out to him. I can't imagine losing my son....it would kill me.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 AM
Bmbl-Bee
Burning Brakes

Received 355 Likes on 187 Posts

R.I.P. Can't imagine loosing a son or daughter--my thoughts go out to the Biden family.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:05 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 05-31-2015, 09:43 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Tough story, losing a child has got to be a formidable obstacle in life. Prayers to the Biden family.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:27 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Prayers to the Biden family. I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 592 Posts

I probably dis agreed with Joe Biden on all most every political issue but I did agree that he was a father , a husband and a fellow American. I pray for him & his family thru their time of need.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:07 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Old 05-31-2015, 02:21 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 05-31-2015, 04:16 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Again. No parent should have to bury a Child, let alone two.
My prayers to the Biden family and for his Son.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:24 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Tough story, losing a child has got to be a formidable obstacle in life. Prayers to the Biden family.
Absolutely! Condolences to the Biden family and friends. Tragic.

Not the first tragic event for Joe Biden.

A week before Christmas in 1972, Biden's wife and three children were involved in a terrible car accident while out shopping for a Christmas tree. The accident killed his wife and daughter, and severely injured both of his sons. Biden was inconsolable and even considered suicide. He recalls, "I began to understand how despair led people to just cash in; how suicide wasn't just an option but a rational option ... I felt God had played a horrible trick on me, and I was angry."

Nevertheless, at the encouragement of his family, Biden decided to honor his commitment to represent the people of Delaware in the Senate. He skipped the swearing-in ceremony for new senators in Washington and instead took the oath of office from his sons' hospital room. In order to spend as much time as possible with his sons, Biden decided to continue to live in Wilmington, commuting to and from Washington each day by Amtrak train, a practice he maintained through his entire long tenure in the Senate.
http://www.biography.com/people/joe-...family-tragedy

Last edited by rkhegler; 06-01-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 enthusiast son dies

Quick Reply: C7 enthusiast son dies