Sponsored by:

Classic Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 PM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Classic Cars

I love my new Stingray. But I must admit, I think my next car to add to the collection is one of the kit cars like a Porsche Speedster, Spyder, or Superformance Cobras.

There is something about the classic 50s Porsches and AC Cobras I love. They just have the timeless look. They are sexy @$$ cars.

Does anyone else feel this way about classic Porsche or Cobra?

Will the Stingray be there in 40 years too or will it not age well like, some may argue, a C4, C5, or C6?

Don't kill me. I'm not saying the C4, C5, or C6 are bad looking, but will the Vettes of the past 25 years hold up in another 20-30? What about the C7, arguably the best looking Vette yet.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by OrioleFan
I love my new Stingray. But I must admit, I think my next car to add to the collection is one of the kit cars like a Porsche Speedster, Spyder, or Superformance Cobras.

There is something about the classic 50s Porsches and AC Cobras I love. They just have the timeless look. They are sexy @$$ cars.

Will the Stingray be there in 40 years too or will it not age well like, some may argue, a C4, C5, or C6?

Don't kill me. I'm not saying the C4, C5, or C6 are bad looking, but will the Vettes of the past 25 years hold up in another 20-30? What about the C7, arguably the best looking Vette yet.

I understand what you're saying....

In '62 I bought a new Vette, drove it for a while then I drove Porsches before they were popular - loved those cars.

Went back into Corvettes in 1990 and have been driving them as daily drivers ever since - short intermission with a CTS-V Cadillac - but went back to Corvettes, buying a C7, a few months back....

With all that said my stablemate for the C7 is an '88 328 GTB Ferrari.... as much as I love my C7 - and I do - if I had to choose between the two cars I'd choose the F-car. Fortunately, I don't have to choose...

Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I do agree with you that the Cobra and 50s era Porsche are good looking cars but I think my next collector car will be a C2 or early model chrome bumper C3. Give the other generation Corvettes time to age and they will come into their own like the C1, C2, and C3 have. All of which are desirable cars..
Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If anyone could accurately predict what mass produced car will be a valuable Classic in the future they would be rich. No way right now to say how the C7 will fare in 20+ years.

55-57 Chevrolets were made in huge numbers and were nothing special at the time. Look what they're worth now.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:51 AM
Blufury
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could match a classic with my c7, first choice would be without a doubt a 63 split window stringray with side pipes in Daytona blue!! Followed by a '66 GTO with three deuces in blue and finally a '70 AAR Cuda in B5 blue! Ok I'm done lol
Old 06-23-2015, 06:39 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Have owned 64, 77, and 84 Corvettes. Liked the 64 and 77 but the 84 was a total disaster. I love the C7 but if money were no object I would call Shelby American and order a 427 SC Cobra Continuation Car.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:48 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I dig the classics too. I just don't have the funds or the space to explore them as an option.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by OrioleFan

Nope! Give me a 1955-58 Chevy anytime over a kit car.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
No way right now to say how the C7 will fare in 20+ years.
I hate to break this to you, but a very modern car like a C7 won't last 30 years - the electronic and computer based systems will fail over time (those neat touch screens and all of the computers and sensors that run everything) and there will be no available replacements.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

No desire for a kit car. The so called classics are nice to look at when attending any car shows but I have no desire to own one.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm itching to build a Cobra or Type 65 Coupe. That'll probably be my first retirement project. Factory 5 has a nice Cobra kit for about $12K and you need a late 80s or early 90s donor Mustang or you can buy the complete kit for $18K sans motor.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I love the old classics (until I drive one). Then all their old tech and shortcomings become evident.

I grew up in the late 50's and 60's a fell in love with the Corvettes, E-Types and others of that era. I wax nostalgic for those old cars until I ride in one. Then I realize we are driving the best cars on the road today.

I would love to have a Resto E Type, but factoring in the donor and then the resto, I'll stay with the new stuff being sold and keep those fond memories of the cars I loved growing up as "fond" memories.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:34 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I don't have the money for the classics, and in the past have owned several C2, C3 Corvettes and a '67 Cobra. They were great fun in their time but I have gotten use to the creature comforts and ease of maintenance of the new cars.
The old Porsche Speedster was one that I always wanted and the kit car of it is appealing, but as a usable car it is pretty much worthless.
I'll stick with my C7, best sports/GT car I have ever owned.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I admire the classics too. The things I really like about them about them the best is no friggin computers with no software bugs, lots of room to work on them. and no friggin metric tools!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:13 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

This is JUST MY OPINION, but I always thought pretty much all American manufactured 80's and early 90's cars were destined for the scrap heap. I don't like the C4's at all. GM, Ford, Chrysler, they were way behind the times in styling, HP, and build quality during those years (you can throw in the late 70's too, but the Vettes of those years still looked nice).

I'd still have a '69 Mach 1 or Boss 302 as long as it had air conditioning. They were extremely easy to work on, but nowadays, you'd spend more time working on them than you would driving them, and I'm not into garage queens. Any car I have is going to get driven daily otherwise there's no joy in it for me.

And I think the C5 outward styling is still relevant today. I might change a few things such as the lower front fascia to update it, and redo the interior. But the design itself has stood the test of time, IMHO. The C3's were great to look at too, IMO, but everyone I knew who had one said they were great when they ran, which was about 50% of the time. They were cars that needed to be worked on frequently and had all kinds of electrical issues. When I was looking into them I ran across a restorer and that's the first thing he did to them, ripped out every piece of wiring and rewired the entire car for more reliability.

The '67 Goat and the '70 Cuda would be cars I would consider as well if I had time and money to throw away.

And I love the interior of the Pagani Huarya (SP? however the hell its spelled). The completely exposed gear shift and all its mechanical bits polished to a high sheen is pretty awesome. The rest of the car, I'm not as impressed with. -- The interior of this one reminds me of a perfect blend between very old school cars and very advanced comfort and technology. Unfortunately one of these cars would rattle apart and be scraped to hell on our potholed roads within weeks of coming to these shores.

I won't buy a car with a nav unit for the very reason another poster mentioned. That kind of technology has a definite lifespan, and it won't last forever and will be expensive to replace. That's what a smart phone is for, and in my case, Sync Services (kind of like Onstar, but for Ford, though not as intrusive). If I am in an accident the car uses my phone to dial 911, and it provides navigation to wherever I want to go for $60.00 a year (first three years are free).

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 06-23-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I hate to break this to you, but a very modern car like a C7 won't last 30 years - the electronic and computer based systems will fail over time (those neat touch screens and all of the computers and sensors that run everything) and there will be no available replacements.
Having just traded in my 2001 C5 in April, I was surprised to see this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ket-parts.html

To summarize, certain C5 parts "specifically the EBCTM(Brake Control Module) and the Steering Wheel Position Sensor" are no longer available and its unlikely anyone will be able to make any. With the pace of change as it is, anything like a computer chip that fails and is past GM's 10 year planning horizon - you may be screwed. For the C5, these parts are already unavailable for 97 - 2000 models - so its possible to have a car that's only 15 years old that has a part that can't be replaced unless you are lucky enough to find a wreck in a junk yard somewhere.

Speaking of which, it might be a good time to be in the junk yard business with more and more cars that have parts where new replacements are not available at any price.

The other side of the coin is that if you have a C7 that's still running 30 years from now, maybe it will be valuable because there will be so few of them.

EDIT: I don't particularly care. In 30 years I'd be 84 and no male in my family that we know of has ever lived past 70.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Mark_Sheehy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a C4 convertible for 18 years prior to getting my 2015 Z51 Convertible, and while the C4 was fun (and much cheaper) the C7 puts a WAY bigger smile on my face. I also own a cherry 1956 Bel Air and while that car is way cool, the C7 put a much bigger smile on my face last Sunday. And my project car is a 1966 Pontiac Tempest that I call "My 10 year project", that one when it drives by I want it to scare people with and will be a pro-street type build. When I want to drive a classic I will, no comparison with the C7.

The old ones have lots of parts available and I had issues with the C4 where I had to find parts, but I could because they are out there. I sure hope parts are available for the C7 for a long time as I will have it the rest of my life. Although I am considering purchasing a set of of magnetic ride control shocks and just put them on the shelf for the inevitable day I will need them.

Get notified of new replies

To Classic Cars

Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

My next purchase will be a Nash Metropolitan
Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My wife drove a '97 F150 pick up for 15 years. The ABS module went out at 12 years and it was not available in the Ford supply system. We finally found one on the shelf at a Ford dealer in Atlanta and had it shipped to Texas. Discontinued parts aren't a new phenomenon for the auto manufacturers.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts
Default History tells us...

Originally Posted by Steve_R
If anyone could accurately predict what mass produced car will be a valuable Classic in the future they would be rich. No way right now to say how the C7 will fare in 20+ years.

55-57 Chevrolets were made in huge numbers and were nothing special at the time. Look what they're worth now.
that virtually ALL vehicles will be worth much more than their orig selling price if held approx 40-50 years and fairly well maintained in reasonable near original condition. Very common 60's-70's Volkswagons, Camaros, Mustangs, Novas all worth routinely 5-10 times orig price, let alone Corvettes. You would be very hard-pressed to find ANY 50 year old car or truck in decent shape that's not worth more today than when it was originally sold. We may not live long enough to enjoy the appreciation, but today's C7 should surely increase in value as the years go by.

Quick Reply: Classic Cars