Sponsored by:

Help me become a better houligan

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

You need to turn off the traction control.

Switch to track mode.

Press the center button on the mode dial twice. You should then go all the way over to the right selection - it will display in you DIC (center of gauge cluster); that will bring down the nannies to the minimalist setting allowing for hooligan fun to commence.

You don't 'slip the clutch' to smoke the tires; you'll smoke your clutch not the tires. Never, ever, ever.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
You need to turn off the traction control.

Switch to track mode.

Press the center button on the mode dial twice. You should then go all the way over to the right selection - it will display in you DIC (center of gauge cluster); that will bring down the nannies to the minimalist setting allowing for hooligan fun to commence.

You don't 'slip the clutch' to smoke the tires; you'll smoke your clutch not the tires. Never, ever, ever.
Wrong again. The clutch is a precision tool just like the brakes and the throttle. Use it, it can take it. It's finesse not just dump the clutch and mash the throttle especially if you' moving.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:57 AM
tflndav
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback, well most of the feedback. Doesnt everyone hot rod their vette at least a little? On a side note, i am not fooling around on public streets, so no haters please.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

To clarify my point...

Hooligan, High School Hero, Burning Money, Donuts, Pennys, general mayhem~

You need to get out of the stabilitrack and traction control modes that control the wheel spin and body slide. Feathering the clutch WILL NOT over come the computer controls in place on the car. If you are in Eco, Weather, or Tour the controls are too high for this level of tire smoking mayhem.

Drag race starts~

You can use the Stingray's Launch Control feature to assist in the consistency of your launches through Track mode and the Competitive sub selections.

Feathering the clutch

The Stingray has enough horsepower to break the tire free at launch at will with the stock tires. The weight transfer from 50/50 to rear basis at launch is not enough to stop you from spinning the tires. The stabilitrack and traction control features which operate in miliseconds do have the ability to stop you from spinning the tires.

If you want hooligan tire spinning - you MUST turn down the traction control function through the Track and competitive mode selections.

If you want to get a good drag race start - where you want limited to no tire spin, you can use launch control or turn down traction control (as outlined above) and manage yourself through RPM, tires, track conditions, and clutch feathering.

A driver is not going to outwit traction control by feathering the clutch while traction control is active - this will not give the desired outcome.

Trying to smoke the tires - full hooligan mode - by feathering or riding the clutch is not the preferred method. This is high stress / slippage / heat / wear activity to the clutch, causes faster wear to the clutch, and in over use and extreme RPM conditions glazes the clutch and sometimes even the fly wheel resulting in a fried clutch that needs to be replaced and sometimes a new flywheel.

IMHO.

Once the clutch starts to lose grip from glazing or too much feathering at high RPM....

Last edited by Jack Be Quick Racing; 07-04-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Like most everything, some common sense is assumed and that video is excessive. Here it is done properly. At around 1:10 to 1:20 is proper clutch feathering to initiate a burn out.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:53 AM
nsxpilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
First step would be to spell "Hooligan" correctly. Or maybe not, now that I think about it.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 AM
nsxpilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
Good, because you're wrong.
Hope you are kidding.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:19 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Get a slightly wet parking lot and go to town
we got to do something like this at Spring mountain.

If you really hate your tires..
Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 AM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
Wrong again. The clutch is a precision tool just like the brakes and the throttle. Use it, it can take it. It's finesse not just dump the clutch and mash the throttle especially if you' moving.
I don't want to be argumentative here, but I am a pro road racer,have also done some drag racing and stunt driving..and motorcycling too...there is NO scenario on 4 wheels where "feathering" the clutch like a bike is a good idea. Certainly not in a car with more than 400HP to the wheels. It might be needed on some rice rocket with 90 hp to get it to the power band, or on a dirt bike climbing a steep trail, but on a car like the Corvette you are just wasting friction material. If you persist in this technique you will quickly wear out of damage your clutch components. Most new corvettes will roast the rear tires without playing any games with the clutch..just turn off the traction control, hold the wheel straight, raise the revs over 4,000 get your eyes looking down the road and dump the clutch all at once. You dont even need full throttle. My C6 Z07 will burn its Pilot sport cup 2s through 2nd gear or more with no effort once you get them spinning. The guy in he video is using his left foot on the brake pedal to maintain a slower speed during his burn out....also mechanically abusive, but brakes are cheaper than clutches,
Sorry Road Rogue someone has given you really bad advice at some point and we don't want to spread it here!!!

Last edited by apex97; 07-05-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:54 PM
nsxpilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by apex97
i don't want to be argumentative here, but i am a pro road racer,have also done some drag racing and stunt driving..and motorcycling too...there is no scenario on 4 wheels where "feathering" the clutch like a bike is a good idea. Certainly not in a car with more than 400hp to the wheels. It might be needed on some rice rocket with 90 hp to get it to the power band, or on a dirt bike climbing a steep trail, but on a car like the corvette you are just wasting friction material. If you persist in this technique you will quickly wear out of damage your clutch components. Most new corvettes will roast the rear tires without playing any games with the clutch..just turn off the traction control, hold the wheel straight, raise the revs over 4,000 get your eyes looking down the road and dump the clutch all at once. You dont even need full throttle. My c6 z07 will burn its pilot sport cup 2s through 2nd gear or more with no effort once you get them spinning. The guy in he video is using his left foot on the brake pedal to maintain a slower speed during his burn out....also mechanically abusive, but brakes are cheaper than clutches, sorry road rogue someone has given you really bad advice at some point and we don't want to spread it here!!!
fact
Old 07-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you're done being a houligan (sic) don't forget to replace your clutch fluid. Probably the coolant, brake fluid, trans and diff lube, engine oil, and maybe the windshield washer fluid too. No telling where that "clutch dust" will end up! You can prolly skip replacing the battery electrolyte.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 PM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apex97
I don't want to be argumentative here, but I am a pro road racer,have also done some drag racing and stunt driving..and motorcycling too...there is NO scenario on 4 wheels where "feathering" the clutch like a bike is a good idea. Certainly not in a car with more than 400HP to the wheels. It might be needed on some rice rocket with 90 hp to get it to the power band, or on a dirt bike climbing a steep trail, but on a car like the Corvette you are just wasting friction material. If you persist in this technique you will quickly wear out of damage your clutch components. Most new corvettes will roast the rear tires without playing any games with the clutch..just turn off the traction control, hold the wheel straight, raise the revs over 4,000 get your eyes looking down the road and dump the clutch all at once. You dont even need full throttle. My C6 Z07 will burn its Pilot sport cup 2s through 2nd gear or more with no effort once you get them spinning. The guy in he video is using his left foot on the brake pedal to maintain a slower speed during his burn out....also mechanically abusive, but brakes are cheaper than clutches,
Sorry Road Rogue someone has given you really bad advice at some point and we don't want to spread it here!!!
Winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 PM
tflndav
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, i have read all the posts. Let me first state that I am not a kid, I have owned over 40 cars in my life time, many performance oriented. This car absolutely will not break loose. I have tried several times in track mode and "race" setting. Traction control off, active handling off, it feels like there is still some sort of traction control going on. I get a few, maybe 5 abrupt hops then hooks up, at one attempt, it felt like an rpm govener kicked in but I wasnt at redline.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Blizzerk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Houligan? LOL

Hoonigans - kill all tires.

Last edited by Blizzerk; 10-05-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

this is a stupid thread and should be closed
Old 10-06-2015, 09:27 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by tflndav
Okay, i have read all the posts. Let me first state that I am not a kid, I have owned over 40 cars in my life time, many performance oriented. This car absolutely will not break loose. I have tried several times in track mode and "race" setting. Traction control off, active handling off, it feels like there is still some sort of traction control going on. I get a few, maybe 5 abrupt hops then hooks up, at one attempt, it felt like an rpm govener kicked in but I wasnt at redline.
Something has to still be on. Try holding the button down for 5 seconds. I thought I read somewhere this kills off all the nannies. My dad was complaining of the same thing at the strip last week and I think he said that did the trick so he could heat the tires.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:35 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Is their a reason you would wander that? You must no grammer and spelling accept for that rule.

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Is it 'doughnuts' or 'donuts'?

Get notified of new replies

To Help me become a better houligan

Old 10-06-2015, 12:49 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

I just love watching guys wreck their cars on purpose for no reason.. like the guy in the 600hp cherry '69 Camaro showcar I saw burning out.. the tire blew and took off the back 1/2 of the car. Man that was cool.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
I just love watching guys wreck their cars on purpose for no reason.. like the guy in the 600hp cherry '69 Camaro showcar I saw burning out.. the tire blew and took off the back 1/2 of the car. Man that was cool.
The best post on this entire thread
Old 10-06-2015, 10:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Regardless of the reasons the OP has not succeeded in breaking the rear end loose, if he tries it in another two weeks to a month, the temps will have lowered enough to allow all kinds of havoc to ensue.

Quick Reply: Help me become a better houligan