C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does climate control turn off when remote start is complete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My climate control system is always in auto mode so that's how it is when I use remote start. There is absolutely no reason to shut it off before you turn the car off.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
When I turn off my AC I always rotate the fan speed to zero and then press the AC button to shut the system off.
I think you've found your problem. I never shut mine down.
I just love remote start. Its surprising how far away it will respond. As I walked up to my running car someone asked "Did your car just start by itself." I said "Yeah it did.... it saw me coming out of the store."
Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I think you've found your problem. I never shut mine down.
I just love remote start. Its surprising how far away it will respond. As I walked up to my running car someone asked "Did your car just start by itself." I said "Yeah it did.... it saw me coming out of the store."
Indeed.

This morning I turned off the car and left the climate control system running in manual mode with the temperature at 65 degrees and the fan at position 2. Later on in the day I remote started the car, got in and pressed the start button. The climate control system continued operating. I think the fan may run higher before I hit the start button than after but it's not a huge difference and feels seamless. Worlds different than before when the system essentially turned off after hitting start.

So my problem is solved. That said, it just felt plain wrong turning off the car while the AC was running. It's going to take me a while to get used to that.

Thanks to all that helped me figure this one out.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
So my problem is solved. That said, it just felt plain wrong turning off the car while the AC was running. It's going to take me a while to get used to that.

Thanks to all that helped me figure this one out.
The only reason I can offer towards wanting to turn the AC off before shutting down is to allow condensation in the evaporator and duct system to dry out, to avoid possible buildup of mildew over extended periods of disuse.

If it's not going into long term storage then it's not a big concern, since you're planning to start it back up again shortly.

Turning the AC compressor off briefly before shutting down to allow it to purge moisture, then putting it back into AC mode right before shutting down would do, but it'd be too much bother for most.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:48 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I'd love to have remote start, but not as much as I love driving a manual transmission.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The remote start will turn the climate control to the setting it was on when the car shut off. You can also select it to turn the ventilated seats on or the heated seats on, but make sure only one of those is selected in the settings or neither will turn on.

When you get in the car, and hit the start button, the seats will turn off, but the climate control should stay on whatever it was set to, just like getting in the car and starting it that way (which is why the seats turn off then, because they wouldn't be on upon start-up, anyway).

Quick Reply: Why does climate control turn off when remote start is complete?