Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I think CarPlay is not worth it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:58 PM
ladiver
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why I think CarPlay is not worth it.

I have created this new thread because it was starting to migrate way off topic from the original post.

Originally Posted by ladiver
Is it just me, or is CarPlay Apple's version of syncing a phone via Bluetooth?

I have an iPhone and have used CarPlay. It looks like I can send and receive calls, use my phone book and view text messages. I also have the option of using maps and listening to music.

My wife does not have an iphone, but does have Bluetooth on her phone. The Corvette connects to her phone, she can send and receive calls and use her phone book. She has to view her test messages on a smaller phone screen, but they are still available to her. The Corvette does navigation OK, but we use Waze already. Finally, she can listen to music from any source the car has or even play over Bluetooth from her non iPhone.

What am I missing? Don't get me wrong, Apple is a great company (for its investors) but they have not done anything too groundbreaking here.
Originally Posted by Daekwan06
You are missing:
  • This is version 1.0 of Carplay. There will be many.. many.. more features to come as the car is the next "digital battleground" between Apple and Google who have battled for years already for your connected digital needs. Think of this way.. CarPlay right now, is the equivalent of the first iPhone. Look at what the first iPhone was capable of and look at what the current iPhone is capable of. More importantly as developers update their apps to work with Carplay, expect the most popular apps on your smartphone to now work directly from your car's touchscreen with no additional software needed. Imagine being able to open your garage door or arm/disarm the alarm system in your home all from using your car's touchscreen.
  • Its also not just about apps, its about taking away the distraction of looking down at your phone while driving. Interacting with your smartphone apps on the vehicle's touchscreen instead.. makes the driver safer & more aware as the vehicle's screen is much bigger and easier to read & touch.. and more prominently positioned for driving. You can also interact using the car's buttons on the steering wheel or upper dash, meaning there is no need to take your eyes off the road when operating many of the functions.
  • Bluetooth was never intended to send large amounts of data back and forth. It was created to provide a low-powered wireless connection between simple input devices like a keyboard, mouse or sensors. Later versions of BT have been modified to provide voice communication for headsets and talk.. while also providing low-resolution audio playback.
  • CarPlay is intended to use a wired or wifi connection between the smartphone & touchscreen head-unit. Either of these connections are up to 100x faster than BT data transfer rates. All of this means that high definition audio & every type of video will travel much faster between the phone & car. This allows apps to run in full resolution and support much more on-screen activity and detail.
  • Speaking of connected. The connected car is now a reality. Expect to get even more software updates and added features thanks to the smartphone now providing a high speed internet connection to the car. Updates that used to be available only at the dealer, may now be available through your phone and its internet connection. Sure vehicles like the 2016 C7 are available with an option 4G/LTE connection.. but who wants to pay AT&T or Verizon for another connected device when their phone is already capable of providing that.
Thanks Daekwan06,

When the first iPhone came out, it WAS a game changer. There was no other phone like it. Even though it was new, Apple had most of it worked out and there were apps that were available immediately. Not many people outside of Apple knew about the iPhone before it was released but there were still apps ready to go.

CarPlay (IOS in the Car), on the other hand, was introduced in June 2013. In the 2 years since, I don't think they have added any features or done anything to it. There are still very few cars that are capable of CarPlay. If you want to compare it to the iPhone, let's see where CarPlay is in 6 more years.

I know you just gave a few examples, but let's look at them. Press a button on the screen to open your garage. Why? I already have a garage door opener on my key chain and when that is unavailable, I have the one built into the visor. Arm and disarm my home alarm, I can do that from my phone but why would I need to do that from the car's screen? They also make remotes (like garage door openers) that can be programmed to the visor! My stereo is not the place for my security system.

If it is not all about the apps, but less distracted driving, then why are they wasting time on the dashboard screen and having to push buttons? It should all be HUD and voice recognition. Even then, if you are talking or texting or thinking of something else, you are distracted. Even something as simple as music can distract a driver!

Your comment "every type of video will travel much faster between the phone & car. This allows apps to run in full resolution and support much more on-screen activity and detail." just screams that there will be MORE distracted driving. I could care less about the detail on my radio screen. Screen detail and video should not be a high priority since one should only be glancing at it.

CarPlay is a typical Apple product. There is no need for it, but they want to convince everyone that it is a MUST have feature. I know a few people who have gone out specifically to buy new 2016 GM vehicles so that they can have CarPlay. There is almost nothing that CarPlay will do that can't be done with every other technology that has been in most cars for years. I am not saying that in 6 years, CarPlay won't be better than a stereo with integrated Bluetooth. I am saying that right now, buying a car for CarPlay seems to be foolish.

I could be interested in CarPlay when it is independent of the iPhone. Build a full up head unit that runs IOS and can integrate with factory infotainment requirements. The internet connection can be tethered from the car or any phone. That is where CarPlay should be. Or, in Apple fashion, they could introduce a connector that plugs your iPad into the car and moves the cars screen to the iPad. That way all of the apps work properly and the display from the car is now controlled on the iPad's screen! They could sell you a nice mount that positions the iPad right in your field of view so you never even have to move your eyes.

Neither of these will ever happen with Apple. They just polish the previous turd and sell it as a new invention. Everything after the first iPhone has only been a remake of that first success. Every "s" version is really what the first one should have been. Every new version is just a refinement of the last.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>This could get interesting.</p>
Old 09-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Then don't base your buying decision on whether the car has CarPlay or not. Seems like most manufacturers will probably support both major platforms in CarPlay and Android Auto. If you don't like Apple products, don't buy them.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:53 PM
ladiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Then don't base your buying decision on whether the car has CarPlay or not. Seems like most manufacturers will probably support both major platforms in CarPlay and Android Auto. If you don't like Apple products, don't buy them.

I don't understand why people think CarPlay is the best thing since Al Gore invented the internet. CarPlay offers almost nothing that other currently used technology offers. My 2007 pickup truck had a Pioneer nav system in it and I was able to control an ipod and iphone on the screen without any problems. The only feature I did not have was text messaging from the car's display.

I hope someone can educate me in anything that CarPlay offers that I am missing. Right now, it is just another way to do what I have been doing for several years.

My boss has been bragging for a week or so about ordering a new 2016 GMC Denali so that he can have CarPlay. He heard that I had a 2016 Corvette and wanted to know all about CarPlay. I said it was Apple's way of syncing your phone to your car. There is really nothing new, other than a different screen on your dash. Oh, and unlike auto connecting with Bluetooth, you need to select the CarPlay icon to get to that screen.

Last edited by ladiver; 09-23-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:34 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Why is carplay great?

It's free on an iphone I already own, because i love apple products.
I didn't have to pay for an already outdated factory navigation.
It auto-updates, no paying for updates.

Being able to put directions into my phone before i even get in the car and they pop up on the screen is awesome.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:35 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

To me carplay is good because you dont have to buy a navigation system. Also anything that can do messages without you looking at phone causing wrecks is worth it. People safety is well worth it.
Also carplay is not an option its the future.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:36 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I like carplay for the following reasons:

1) When a text message comes in, Siri reads you the message and allows you to reply.
You don't need to look at your phone.

2) I use a virtual phone system for my business. When a call comes in, I need access to the phone keypad to press 1 to accept the call, 2 to send to voicemail and 3 to hear the caller id. Prior to carplay, I would have to interact with my phone to accomplish this, now I can take a call just by hitting a button on the infotainment screen.

Obviously, you can do everything from your phone but carplay makes it very convenient and safer.

I understand that not everyone has the same needs, but for me, carplay was the reason I waited for the 2016 vette.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 PM
John77777
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my current car I have CarPlay. I also have an IPhone, so it works out just fine. Anyway, it's free with the car, right? No one is twisting your arm to use it. And for those with Android phones, those will work, too, via Bluetooth? Why complain?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
I like carplay for the following reasons:

1) When a text message comes in, Siri reads you the message and allows you to reply.
You don't need to look at your phone.

2) I use a virtual phone system for my business. When a call comes in, I need access to the phone keypad to press 1 to accept the call, 2 to send to voicemail and 3 to hear the caller id. Prior to carplay, I would have to interact with my phone to accomplish this, now I can take a call just by hitting a button on the infotainment screen.

Obviously, you can do everything from your phone but carplay makes it very convenient and safer.

I understand that not everyone has the same needs, but for me, carplay was the reason I waited for the 2016 vette.
You don't need Carplay to do this.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

This stuff is way over my skill sets-I just use my car's navi for directions, Bluetooth for my phone, I don't text while driving, I use my I Pod and xm for music-I know you are never too old to learn new things but I am making an exception because I have a 2015 and don't feel I am missing anything worth feeling bad about not having.
The following users liked this post:
ladiver (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 06:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm not an iGuy and don't have an iPhone, in an android guy. I want android auto if for nothing else but Google now and Google's voice recognition. The c7s voice recognition stucks big time!

Also android auto will integrate my podcast player of choice BeyondPod. I listen to podcast twice as much as music and when I do listen to music it's usually Google music, also integrated..
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

ladiver,

I agree with a lot of what you say.

But there is a reason for this. Automotive has a VERY slow feedback loop. People do not realize this, it's not like a Phone which literally in 12 months can implement ground breaking new features, in a car you are lucky if you get a software update. EVER.

This is changing, but SLOWELY. Car makers are just now getting around to allowing updates (Ford SYNC 3 does over the air updates if you connect your car to a WiFi network or "hot spot") I assume everyone else is either working on this, or releasing it shortly (including GM).

The problem for Apple and Google is that they want to STOP the OEM's from implementing custom solutions, so they can control the interface. CarPlay and Android Auto are these products. There are good points, like a unified universal interface. However Apple won't be able to update CarPlay whenever, they are still a software "module" running on the OEM system, and if that system doesn't support updates or is updated infrequently, then well CarPlay and Android Auto are SOL.

Further as others have stated, most OEMs already provide 90% of the functionality needed, so most people won't use CarPlay. I'm intrigued to get it on my C7, but I don't think I'll actually use it that much.

The days of you moving all credit cards, car keys, and access cards to your phone are a pipe dream. It's possible, but is that what customers REALLY want? In developed markets where we are USED to all the separate stuff (and it gives us comfort) I say, NO. However in the undeveloped world, these things WILL BE IMPORTANT.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Automotive has a VERY slow feedback loop.
Ever ask why? There's no compelling reason that the feedback loop need be long or slow.

People do not realize this, it's not like a Phone which literally in 12 months can implement ground breaking new features, in a car you are lucky if you get a software update. EVER.
People don't realize this because they see little reason why it should be so.

The problem for Apple and Google is that they want to STOP the OEM's from implementing custom solutions, so they can control the interface.
How exactly did you divine the intent of Apple and Google? Why would they want to "STOP the OEM's from implementing custom solutions". More importantly how could they stop it? The answer is they can't. The OEMs can continue to develop and install their code into their products. It's not like a guy from Google comes over and says "Stop that!". It's amazing what people dream up.

No the auto companies are just not good at this though they can be or at least they could hire people who are good at this.

However Apple won't be able to update CarPlay whenever, they are still a software "module" running on the OEM system, and if that system doesn't support updates or is updated infrequently, then well CarPlay and Android Auto are SOL.
But that's the beauty of both CarPlay and Android Auto - Apple and Google don't need to update your head unit or the software module running on the OEM system. The "app" is running on the phone and we both know that both Apple and Google update apps on your phone all the time. The "module" you speak of merely displays things onto the screen and returns tap events. The app on the phone takes it from there. There's no need to update the software "module" running on the OEM system nor is there a need for that module to support updates. In geeky Linux terms it's like module is the X11 Windowing system and the apps are Xclients. you don't need to update your X server to get an Xclient update.

Further as others have stated, most OEMs already provide 90% of the functionality needed, so most people won't use CarPlay. I'm intrigued to get it on my C7, but I don't think I'll actually use it that much.
Then you lack vision. 90% of the functionality? I have one app. Count it one and that's Pandora (which requires an internet connection). I don't have Google Music (which can use an internet connection but also can use what you've downloaded). Similarly BeyondPod - not available on the MyLink unit. Audible for my audiobooks which I listen to on most long haul drives like down to SoCal or Vegas. Is there an app for MyLink? Nope. Stitcher? (Though Stitcher has always been hit and miss for me). I could go on to more things (Waze - though I prefer Google Maps, which Android Auto has). Indeed I'd say that 80-90% of the time I'm listening to a podcast or audio book.

The days of you moving all credit cards, car keys, and access cards to your phone are a pipe dream.
Then I'm living in a pipe dream because most of these are on my phone (car keys no but I believe OnStar's app can unlock the car. All my credit cards are in Android Pay and OnlyCoin.com. Access cards? I only have one for work and alas they don't have an app for that - but I'm sure soon those will also appear).

It's possible, but is that what customers REALLY want?
An unqualified hell yeah.

Just because you can't seem to envision such a world doesn't mean that others also can't.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:35 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Ever ask why? There's no compelling reason that the feedback loop need be long or slow.
So many things wrong in your post, I love it! I enjoy educated the ignorant masses on Automotive. Goodie!

The feedback loop is slow because cars are super complex devices. Your phone, is how shall I say this, rather juvinille and simple next to the complexity of an automobile. Both in the design and manufacturing. Further, one can't just send a car design to someone and tell them to "Build to Print" like a phone. Which BTW is exactly what the phone people do.

People don't realize this because they see little reason why it should be so.
People don't realize because they fundamentally don't understand the complexity of cars. This may be my inner engineer talking but frankly most people are ignorant to most things and therefore aren't equipped to understand why things are they way they are.

How exactly did you divine the intent of Apple and Google? Why would they want to "STOP the OEM's from implementing custom solutions". More importantly how could they stop it? The answer is they can't. The OEMs can continue to develop and install their code into their products. It's not like a guy from Google comes over and says "Stop that!". It's amazing what people dream up.
Apple and Google want to control the ecosystem, this is apparent by the closed "store" module you see on phones. Can you install whatever you want on your phone like you can on a PC? Can you write your own software and install it without Apple or Google's permission? No you can't unless you Jailbrake or Root the phone.

They most certainly DON'T want the OEM's developing features, if the customer can get everything they want from the OEM why would they use the Apple or Google solution? Answer, they wouldn't. Loss of control is a huge fear for these companies (as control and DATA are what they buy and sell).

No the auto companies are just not good at this though they can be or at least they could hire people who are good at this.
Auto companies are quite good at what they do, even in infotainment. The requirements, and complexity is astounding. Tesla in fact only can build a car because outside of the HMI interface (the screen) and the powertrain (Electric Motor + Battery) they are using off the shelf automotive parts. Even then look at how long it took the Model X to come to market! It's been 3 years since the initial launch plan, that's due to complexity that they didn't fully understand.

But that's the beauty of both CarPlay and Android Auto - Apple and Google don't need to update your head unit or the software module running on the OEM system. The "app" is running on the phone and we both know that both Apple and Google update apps on your phone all the time. The "module" you speak of merely displays things onto the screen and returns tap events. The app on the phone takes it from there. There's no need to update the software "module" running on the OEM system nor is there a need for that module to support updates. In geeky Linux terms it's like module is the X11 Windowing system and the apps are Xclients. you don't need to update your X server to get an Xclient update.
False the application does NOT run on the phone. The CarPlay interface runs on the OEM hardware, there is a corresponding app which allows the CarPlay module on the Phone and the car play module on the OEM radio to communicate. Think of it this way. The OS for CarPlay resides on the OEM interface. The apps reside on the phone, sometimes to get new functionality you need to update your OS. Like back in the day when I wanted to add wireless support to Linux I had to recompile the kernel. Because that made sense.

Then you lack vision. 90% of the functionality? I have one app. Count it one and that's Pandora (which requires an internet connection). I don't have Google Music (which can use an internet connection but also can use what you've downloaded). Similarly BeyondPod - not available on the MyLink unit. Audible for my audiobooks which I listen to on most long haul drives like down to SoCal or Vegas. Is there an app for MyLink? Nope. Stitcher? (Though Stitcher has always been hit and miss for me). I could go on to more things (Waze - though I prefer Google Maps, which Android Auto has). Indeed I'd say that 80-90% of the time I'm listening to a podcast or audio book.
Most of those things can be done with the existing interface. Navigation and Sirius Traffic link might not be AS GOOD as Google Maps and Waze, but they will suffice. The days of unlimited data will end (Sprint is already cracking down on people using excessive data on "unlimited" plants) so any app that requires and always on connection will have limited use. Add to the fact cell service is slow and not always there, and you've just eliminated most of what you brought up.

You might have a point about the Audiobooks, but as I said, 90% so there's your 10%

Then I'm living in a pipe dream because most of these are on my phone (car keys no but I believe OnStar's app can unlock the car. All my credit cards are in Android Pay and OnlyCoin.com. Access cards? I only have one for work and alas they don't have an app for that - but I'm sure soon those will also appear).
You are the first person I've met who says these things, most people I know (and these are 25-40 year old people) would not trust Apple Pay or Android Pay, hell most of them still carry a PHYSICAL KEY as a backup in case the power is out so they can get in their house without using the garage.

An unqualified hell yeah.

Just because you can't seem to envision such a world doesn't mean that others also can't.
I think people do envision it, I think the average customer will reject these things. That is to say in developed markets. In China, a developing market maybe, but not here in the US.
Steve_R (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 PM
ladiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
This stuff is way over my skill sets-I just use my car's navi for directions, Bluetooth for my phone, I don't text while driving, I use my I Pod and xm for music-I know you are never too old to learn new things but I am making an exception because I have a 2015 and don't feel I am missing anything worth feeling bad about not having.
Not missing a thing. You are able to do everything that CarPlay can.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:20 PM
F7addict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking forward to it on my 16. It is a complete disappointment.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:39 PM
ladiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by F7addict
I was looking forward to it on my 16. It is a complete disappointment.
As LS3 MN6 stated, it will be 5+ years before CarPlay is fully baked. Enjoy your 2016. There are enough other things that make it a great car.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I think CarPlay is not worth it.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

When the first iPhone came out, it WAS a game changer. There was no other phone like it. Even though it was new, Apple had most of it worked out and there were apps that were available immediately. Not many people outside of Apple knew about the iPhone before it was released but there were still apps ready to go.
Actually, the very first iPhone had no real apps. People forget, but Steve Jobs thought the only applications needed on the iPhone should be web apps, which were run online, over a 3G connection. That's all the original app store had. There were very, very few apps, they were very ,very slow, and very limited in functionality. The modern App store, and real downloadable apps, came later, but everyone forgets the how limited the first iPhone was. Like many other features, Apple had to swallow it's pride and copy other manufacturers, and then claim they invented what they actually copied (like the GUI and the mouse on personal computers, touch screen phones, a rectangular grid of icons on a phone screen, and two-finger swiping. All in production or development well before Apple used them).

It also wasn't the first smartphone. Google Handspring Treo, Palm Treo, and Hiptop. Even those weren't really the first, but they were the first with functionality similar to modern smartphones. When the iPhone came out, the Treo had thousands of native apps available already. But poor management by Palm, and great marketing by Apple, led people to forget all about the Treo, and Apple fanboys to believe Apple invented the smartphone.

Last edited by meyerweb; 09-23-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:34 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

this is one of those threads where half like it, say it's good and half don't, say it's useless.....very informative. I appreciate what OP is trying to do but once again this thread is full of subjective opinions, just like the best color.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:25 PM
ladiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by themonk
this is one of those threads where half like it, say it's good and half don't, say it's useless.....very informative. I appreciate what OP is trying to do but once again this thread is full of subjective opinions, just like the best color.
Well, we all know, for a fact, the best color is Laguna Blue. at least that debate can be put to bed quickly.
daleong (09-24-2015)

Quick Reply: Why I think CarPlay is not worth it.