Sponsored by:

Why I think CarPlay is not worth it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:43 PM
ladiver
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Actually, the very first iPhone had no real apps. People forget, but Steve Jobs thought the only applications needed on the iPhone should be web apps, which were run online, over a 3G connection. That's all the original app store had. There were very, very few apps, they were very ,very slow, and very limited in functionality. The modern App store, and real downloadable apps, came later, but everyone forgets the how limited the first iPhone was. Like many other features, Apple had to swallow it's pride and copy other manufacturers, and then claim they invented what they actually copied (like the GUI and the mouse on personal computers, touch screen phones, a rectangular grid of icons on a phone screen, and two-finger swiping. All in production or development well before Apple used them).

It also wasn't the first smartphone. Google Handspring Treo, Palm Treo, and Hiptop. Even those weren't really the first, but they were the first with functionality similar to modern smartphones. When the iPhone came out, the Treo had thousands of native apps available already. But poor management by Palm, and great marketing by Apple, led people to forget all about the Treo, and Apple fanboys to believe Apple invented the smartphone.
You are right, they were not apps, as much as they were just web shortcuts. I was a Blackberry user at that time, a Palm Pilot before that and even used a Windows CE based device.
Apple did a great job in marketing a phone with some of the better internet enabled features. It took them a while to fill the App Store and even compete for business users. Between the marketing hype and Apple fans, the demand was created. This is about where CarPlay is. There is a lot of marketing hype, the Apple fans will buy into it, then the developers will see $$ and create apps. The whole time, auto manufacturers will have to pay Apple for CarPlay because other manufacturers will have it too.
Apple could care less if it succeeds because they will get a few bucks per car sold by every manufacturer that wants to say CarPlay. This will go on few several years before it flourishes or flops.
CarPlay may be cool and unique right now, but it's current abilities are on par with every other technology available. It may actually sound better in the mid-engine C8 that we all know is just around the corner.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ladiver
CarPlay (IOS in the Car), on the other hand, was introduced in June 2013. In the 2 years since, I don't think they have added any features or done anything to it.
Ummm.. They did add features in iOS9.

Originally Posted by ladiver
I am saying that right now, buying a car for CarPlay seems to be foolish.
I am still glad that I have CarPlay in my 2016, but I wouldn't have waited for a 2017 just for CarPlay. It wasn't a purchase decision, it was a nice to have. I bought the Corvette because I wanted the Corvette. Does it work great, absolutely not. Does it add value for me, certainly.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

The iOS9 features are not all compatible with existing CarPlay systems. The Wireless Option for example.

Quick Reply: Why I think CarPlay is not worth it.