C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the metal bars under the front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 PM
efarley
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
Default What are the metal bars under the front bumper?

When I jacked up my c7 I noticed that under the front bumper there are two metal bars that come down through the plastic and then back up into the car. They are located on both sides of the car about a foot back. They're black and have a small hole drilled in them.

Does anyone know what these do? One of them is scraping on my driveway hard enough to gouge the metal and leaves visible scrape marks across the concrete so I'm worried they're a radiator support or something important but I'm hopping they're bumper savers doing exactly what they're intended to do.

Last edited by efarley; 11-23-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:00 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yup......core support. Don't hit them......they break.

If you want an idea, here's one example from C6 with pics:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-sound.html
Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 PM
efarley
Racer

Great... Why would GM leave these just hanging under the car unprotected?! It can't be uncommon that people scrape these considering how low they hang.

P.S. I'm talking about the core support the guy attaches the bumper savers too in the video C7Jake posted. I'm not totally sure how putting a wheel on it protects it from breaking as that support is still holding all the cars weight... It's just rolling instead of scraping and I'm sure it's the weight of the car breaking the support not scraping.

Last edited by efarley; 11-23-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:46 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/C7Fangs.html
Fangs work by allowing the skid bars to slide over parking blocks, etc., instead of the soft aluminum digging in and getting traction causing the skid bars/lower radiator support to break.

Last edited by C8Jake; 11-23-2015 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
efarley (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 PM
efarley
Racer

Originally Posted by C7Jake
Thanks Jake. The issue I see with both of these options are that all they do is protect the core support from being scraped up, which is purely a cosmetic fix. I couldn't care less about the support being scraped, what I don't want is it to break and need replacement. As I understand the reason the support breaks is because it's made of aluminum and not designed to support the weight of the car from below. Neither of those options distribute the weight of the car off from the support. I did see for the fangs they say that it prevents the supports from digging in and catching causing it to break, which makes sense if the supports are designed to hold the weight of the car, but I don't believe they are which makes me think that's just a sales pitch trying to sell me a product they know only provides cosmetic protection.

Just to be clear I am not hitting the support with any speed, I'm going about 1-2 mph turning at a near 90 degree angle to my driveway and the outside wheel nearly comes completely off the ground while the core support scrapes along the driveway.

Last edited by efarley; 11-23-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:09 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by efarley
Thanks Jake. The issue I see with both of these options are that all they do is protect the core support from being scraped up, which is purely a cosmetic fix. I couldn't care less about the support being scraped, what I don't want is it to break and need replacement. As I understand the reason the support breaks is because it's made of aluminum and not designed to support the weight of the car from below. Neither of those options distribute the weight of the car off from the support. I did see for the fangs they say that it prevents the supports from digging in and catching causing it to break, which makes sense if the supports are designed to hold the weight of the car, but I don't believe they are which makes me think that's just a sales pitch trying to sell me a product they know only provides cosmetic protection.

Just to be clear I am not hitting the support with any speed, I'm going about 1-2 mph turning at a near 90 degree angle to my driveway and the outside wheel nearly comes completely off the ground while the core support scrapes along the driveway.
Each scrape weakens the metal. Each impact only affects the hit section of the support. These covers distribute the impact over the entire support. Imagine a 100lbs poke in the forearm vs the same 100lbs distributed over your entire forearm. The poke is going to leave a bruise; the spread won't.

Trust me, they're more effective than you think.
efarley (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 01:28 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Hi efarley,
The Fangs are more than just cosmetic protection. By reducing the friction on the skid plate it takes a lot of the stress off of it that causes breakage. Kind of like a street tire spins easy (low friction) when doing a burn out, the stress on the drive train is low. But put a slick on and do a burn out there is much more fiction that can cause things to snap.
If your Vette is rubbing so hard that the wheel is almost off the ground that is a lot of pressure and the Fangs would definitely help keep from breaking the lower radiator support. But if rubbing like that day after day to get in and out of your driveway the Fang would eventually wear out.

Thanks
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
efarley (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 02:32 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Hi efarley,
The Fangs are more than just cosmetic protection. By reducing the friction on the skid plate it takes a lot of the stress off of it that causes breakage. Kind of like a street tire spins easy (low friction) when doing a burn out, the stress on the drive train is low. But put a slick on and do a burn out there is much more fiction that can cause things to snap.
If your Vette is rubbing so hard that the wheel is almost off the ground that is a lot of pressure and the Fangs would definitely help keep from breaking the lower radiator support. But if rubbing like that day after day to get in and out of your driveway the Fang would eventually wear out.

Thanks
Christian
In fact one of the other things they do is stop that terrible aluminum on pavement noise! After scraping my "radiator supports" as GM calls them or Skid Pads in my C6, I actually added a 3/16 inch piece of curved aluminum. Still made noise but when it lifted the front it was only beating up on the pieces I added!
As soon as FANGS were available for the C7 I bought them! Great product. Recently going into a mall with a raised area, faster that I wanted (car coming faster than expected) I did feel something hit. Hardly noticed any scraping when I looked and saw I slightly scraped one FANG! This is a pic of my C6 damaged and my FANG install about 2 years ago. With my C6 I was very careful but the times it happened wereI was pulling into a driveway and a car was coming that caused me to not do my usual stop and proceed very slowly. In one case there was an unexpected dip.

C6 Scrapped Skid Pad, Skid Pad Part, C7 Protector FANG Installed

Last edited by JerryU; 11-24-2015 at 02:39 PM.
efarley (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 PM
efarley
Racer

I think I'll order a set of the fangs, for 70 bucks it's worth it just to stop the support from digging in.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't think I've heard of a single instance of the supports breaking. I have seen reports of the Granatelli wheels breaking off.

FWIW, as far as I know I've only scraped the supports once, going over a higher than expected speed bump. After that I put the fangs on, and I don't believe I've scraped them at all since then.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
These are completely useless, they do not protect against cosmetic damage to the front clip.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM
efarley
Racer

Well I just ordered my set of Fangs, thanks to everyone who pointed me in their direction. I hope they work to save me having to replace the radiator support, time will tell.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
I don't think I've heard of a single instance of the supports breaking. I have seen reports of the Granatelli wheels breaking off.

FWIW, as far as I know I've only scraped the supports once, going over a higher than expected speed bump. After that I put the fangs on, and I don't believe I've scraped them at all since then.
The radiator support broke on one side on my wife's C6. The whole bracket was replaced, for about $600 with labor, IIRC.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:08 PM
efarley
Racer

From what I can see in photos of the support on the C6 vs C7 the C7 has a much more robust solid support than the C6 had.
Horsefly (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
These are completely useless, they do not protect against cosmetic damage to the front clip.
Your opinion. I had a set on my '02 C5 and they worked as designed. Nothing will help if you drive into something high enough to actually hit the front bumper.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:17 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
No, they just protect against structural damage to the rad support.

Yeah, useless.

Last edited by 4GS7; 11-24-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:25 PM
efarley
Racer

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
No, they just protect against structural damage to the rad support.

Yeah, useless.
I think the miss comunication comes from the fact that the wheel things Jake posted are marketed as "bumper savers" and in fact they are useless for protecting your bumper as they're more accurately "core support savers" in which regard they are useful.

I could be wrong as I'm not the one who called them useless, that's just how I interpreted their comment.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have a set of the Fangs on my C5 and they really do work well to protect that area. You'll like them on your C7.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the metal bars under the front bumper?

Quick Reply: What are the metal bars under the front bumper?