Sponsored by:

Safety advice for road racers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:45 PM
trinityprof
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Safety advice for road racers

My daughter and I entered our first open road race last week (BBORR) and have been bitten hard. We had the good fortune of placing second in our class and we want to do more. . .probably moving up in speed. We entered the target speed class of 95 and our top speed was 120. At the Bash today, I was talking to a HPDE instructor who tells me how I should reconsider road racing and stick to HPDE or at least get head/neck restraints. I don't plan on using a five point harness, so I need something that works with seat belts. He recommended Safety Solutions. Looks like that has been bought out by Simpson and product changed. I saw Hans devices on the racers running unlimited speeds, but I don't have aspirations to do that. Any thoughts/recommendations?
Old 04-30-2016, 12:41 AM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

If you're gonna race you really need HANS and a 5 or 6 pt harness. JMHO.

JV

Last edited by Jet Vet; 04-30-2016 at 12:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
trinityprof (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

In road racing, accidents do happen - would not road race without a 5 or 6 point harness and HANS.
I assume you are budgeting for the very real possibility whatever you race will be damaged or totaled. Competitive racing gets expensive.
trinityprof (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I have a bit of different perspective on HANS, when in a car with an equipped airbag. The HANS sled tests are for occupants secured in harnesses, etc. In those sled tests the body does not move, only the head moves forward. In a car with a shoulder belt and an airbag, at frontal impact the driver impacts the airbag and the entire body moves forward with the head, then the head impacts the airbag.

Point is, with safety, I see it as a "system" not as individual units. That said, if you use harnesses and a harness bar, your body WILL stay secure and all momentum will transfer to your head/neck...you need HANS.

If you only run shoulder belts and air bags though, I think buying the lightest helmet you can, and running a neck pad would be better. Keep in mind, this type of testing isn't done. You'd need the OEM car crash tested with occupants wearing helmets to really know, so the zone of helmet with airbag/shoulder belt really isn't known.

In my opinion though, with airbags on, shoulder belts on, a carbon helmet and neck pad is sufficient. The class you're in has risk, but not the same level of risk of an unlimited, so a reasonable amount of safety is good. I don't think you need to go full blown race-car driver though.

Last edited by RC000E; 04-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
trinityprof (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 11:16 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

R3 used to make a head and neck restraint that used a torso/shoulder strap setup so you could use it w/o 5-point belts. Great option for HPDE instructors who are jumping in the passenger seat of street cars often.
trinityprof (04-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Safety advice for road racers

Quick Reply: Safety advice for road racers