Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield stress crack (warrantied)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 01:51 PM
flibynyte
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First OEM replacement is going in today. This is the first one they have done. I just called to check up on it--and they said, "there was alot more to it than they thought." And, "we had to had GM fax us instructions on removing the rear view mirror." Then they told me I would have to check with GM to see if there is any calibration needs for the HUD and PDR. Anyone have experience with that? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by flibynyte
First OEM replacement is going in today. This is the first one they have done. I just called to check up on it--and they said, "there was alot more to it than they thought." And, "we had to had GM fax us instructions on removing the rear view mirror." Then they told me I would have to check with GM to see if there is any calibration needs for the HUD and PDR. Anyone have experience with that? Thanks in advance.
I had mine done a while back and there were no recalibrations required as far as I know. When he got everything back together everything was lined up as before. It was the first time for my repair guy and he did a great job after wrestling with all the electronics in the top of the windshield. Here are some pics which I think I posted in this thread earlier. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:18 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

When I had mine done the dealership had a auto glass shop do it and they just put everything back the way it was. Those items on the top middle of the windshield just go back together the way they took them off the service manager said.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:23 AM
flibynyte
Cruising

Thanks...I have similar pictures now! So far so good. The windshield guys said that they could see no cause for the fracture. No evidence of damage on the edges of glass that was originally installed. No welding bead or rough spot on the frame, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't repeat.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:35 AM
KuzVette
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the post... My question is how many have had this issue with a 2016?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Default Another cracked windshield

Another one for the "collection"

2014 Z51 M7, HUD, 17,000 miles, Passenger side of windshield. Discovered 2 days ago.

Interesting that the innermost crack starts about where the removable top bayonet goes into the windshield frame.

No 'big bumps' ever encountered. Top has been off maybe a dozen times and its never gone faster than 160.

I will be taking it to StingRay in Plant City which has been a great dealer to date and I'll let the forum know what they say about a GM replacement.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 11-16-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:10 PM
DwizC7
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stress Crack Stressful

My 2015 C7 windshield was just replaced under warranty. The service manager at first blamed a stone, but that stone would have had to come streaking into the garage at night, fly inside the car and smack the windshield from the inside, no external crack. The regional manager got involved and OK'd the repair, which was professionally done using the OEM part.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Another one for the "collection"
I will be taking it to StingRay in Plant City which has been a great dealer to date and I'll let the forum know what they say about a GM replacement.
StingRay Service Manager inspected the crack and confirmed it was not caused by a rock, etc. Warranty replacement ordered which will be installed by a local glass shop. FYI - according to the SM this takes some other GM special parts order form now that the car is out of the "free maintenance" portion of the 2014's warranty but still under the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

Service Manager says it is only the second one he has seen and Stingray sells a lot of Corvettes so maybe it has something to do with our fairly consistent Florida temperatures.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:32 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

My 2014 Z51 convertible windshield cracked along the drivers pillar, horizontal past the steering wheel. It appeared that I had a "strike" pinpoint right beside the moulding along the drivers pillar. I was going to have Safelight replace it until I asked them how many newer corvettes they had done. When I heard the answer was "zero" I cancelled them and called the chevy dealer to see who they used and had it replaced. I looked for any slag issues along the edges of the glass and found none. $1496 installed (insurance paid $1k of that).
Old 11-30-2016, 07:01 PM
flibynyte
Cruising

Mine was covered by warranty, but done at a local shop. Lots and lots of pictures. They invited me in and I did so. (Didn't stay the whole time) Kinda makes your gut hurt when you see the amount of deconstruction that has to transpire. However, again, they found no evidence of cause, which seems to be what everyone else is finding. There was a tiny chip on the back of the glass that I photographed... but could not determine if it was caused when removed. The removed glass was still completely intact... so IMHO the tiny chip is a likely culprit from the factory. While there was some machining in the track on the post...it was not coincidental to the chip. What do you guys see?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 PM
corvette-22
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Too bad that is happening, but at least it seems GM is covering it for the most part.
Its a defect either the glass or the frame is not stable enough and the glass is flexing to much.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:43 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette-22
Its a defect either the glass or the frame is not stable enough and the glass is flexing to much.
This is a known issue. Mine has been replaced twice all under warranty. Had to do with the locator tabs that locate the windshield when it is installed on the assembly line. Recommendation from GM was to cut off the tabs when installing by hand. It has nothing to do with temps, speed or loads of any kind.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:51 PM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same stress crack drivers side top corner in my 2015 Z51 at 13,000 miles. The dealer said no warranty on glass. Massachusetts insurance does cover windshields 100%. I took it to giant glass and requested a GM windshield. They charged the insurance company $901.00 complete and did an awesome job.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:53 PM
gamo
Advanced

Hey Andy, this is kinda funny!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:01 PM
WhiteRaven
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a big issue? I have heard of this before and as I drive my car I swear I hear creaking coming from the front windshield. At first I thought it was something hitting it but now I have pinpointed it as a creaking/cracking sound like the windshield is settling. Anyone else notice this? So far, my windshield isn't racked, but I am wondering if this is something I should worry about or have looked at?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My 16Z had the same stress crack like the others posted. Unfortunately my dealer has installed 2 replacement windshields with Both having various defects. They have had bubbles on the top and most annoying blurry/ distorted areas right in my line of sight above the HUD display. Oh...I forgot to mention another glass they ordered that the dealer damaged by improperly positioning on the floor in the parts dept. COMPLETE CLUSTER______.
How can GM not have any QA standards with the people who produce the windshields?
Car is hibernating for the winter. Dealer called and said they will get it replaced in the spring. They suggested I stop by the dealership and look through the glass in the Corvettes they have in stock. I told them I can look at every windshield at the dealership and it doesn't matter the one I have is blurry and unacceptable. What a stupid thing to say. Oh well I will just have to wait to spring. Anyone else having the same thing done should check the glass before they leave the dealership and look for distortion.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 PM
gamo
Advanced

White Raven, I also had the cracking sound and thought something hit the windshield. After a half a dozen times I thought it might break. It turned out to be a service bulletin and they changed the front roof mounting points under warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield stress crack (warrantied)

Old 11-30-2016, 09:20 PM
WhiteRaven
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a big issue? I have heard of this before and as I drive my car I swear I hear creaking coming from the front windshield. At first I thought it was something hitting it but now I have pinpointed it as a creaking/cracking sound like the windshield is settling. Anyone else notice this? So far, my windshield isn't racked, but I am wondering if this is something I should worry about or have looked at?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gamo
Hey Andy, this is kinda funny!
The cars are assembly line built so it's no surprise we have common issues and needs. Get that cooler in bro!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:19 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,457 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Interesting, I have that too, not a crack yet and it's been there since day one, perhaps I will get it checked out.

Quick Reply: Windshield stress crack (warrantied)