Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap front camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 PM
Cmud
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

Been building my order list from amazon to do this on my base 2016 stingray, thanks for the info. I am assuming everything still working good with this setup, no problems to report?

Also, did anyone ever try to set up a static ip adress for the camera? From what i was reading on the internet if you do this you should still be able to connect to the wifi camera and the phone will know to use celluar data for internet if you setup it up correctly.

Cmud
Old 01-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmud
Been building my order list from amazon to do this on my base 2016 stingray, thanks for the info. I am assuming everything still working good with this setup, no problems to report?

Also, did anyone ever try to set up a static ip adress for the camera? From what i was reading on the internet if you do this you should still be able to connect to the wifi camera and the phone will know to use celluar data for internet if you setup it up correctly.

Cmud
Since I use an Android Phone solely for the WiFi monitor. It sits that inside the dash cubby, so i have no need for the cellular portion of the phone.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Cmud
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
Since I use an Android Phone solely for the WiFi monitor. It sits that inside the dash cubby, so i have no need for the cellular portion of the phone.
The only reason I ask is because I plan on using my phone installed in a proclip for a monitor. No big deal if it won't work. Was just curious. Pretty detailed instructions on how to make it work on iOS, not so much android but I think it can be done. Worth a try when i get it all in.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:35 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Works fine with Android also
Old 01-20-2017, 05:18 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

pictures of where you tapped for the 12 volts
Old 01-20-2017, 06:17 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been reading all your messages and I just got my transmitter in from Hong Kong. I order the reverse camera from Amazon should be in Friday. I put a camera on my C6, but I know this one is going to be harder. I think I can do it by watching all of you and looks like you did a great job. Think I will put my camera on inside of the grill.
Thanks for all your work on this. I saved it so I can go back and see what I missed.
Thanks again syswayne
Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I installed an ESKY camera, but it doesn't reverse the image. Clicking the button only adds/removes the lines.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by syswayne
I have been reading all your messages and I just got my transmitter in from Hong Kong. I order the reverse camera from Amazon should be in Friday. I put a camera on my C6, but I know this one is going to be harder. I think I can do it by watching all of you and looks like you did a great job. Think I will put my camera on inside of the grill.
Thanks for all your work on this. I saved it so I can go back and see what I missed.
Thanks again syswayne
if you have any questions during your install you can PM me
Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by zbrett
No removal is necessary. Look straight down beneath the plate where the hood bumper sits over the engine bay, behind the wheel well on the passenger side. Right below the windshield. All kinds of nice, flat areas where the wi-fi unit can be mounted.
I have a dry sump there, no room to mount. Trying to locate another spot that won't be seen when hood is up.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp78
I installed an ESKY camera, but it doesn't reverse the image. Clicking the button only adds/removes the lines.
When you buy the camera you have to make sure it is actualy reversible.
I ran into the same thing and got a few more since they are so cheap.
They will have a wire with a loop on the harness sticking up that you just snip it in half to reverse the image from right to left.

Just make sure it says it's reversible or it's already set up for front view when you order it. I still can't believe this stuff is as cheap as it is.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rabbitman
When you buy the camera you have to make sure it is actualy reversible.
I ran into the same thing and got a few more since they are so cheap.
They will have a wire with a loop on the harness sticking up that you just snip it in half to reverse the image from right to left.

Just make sure it says it's reversible or it's already set up for front view when you order it. I still can't believe this stuff is as cheap as it is.
Where is this wire loop located?
I ordered the front/back camera on Amazon.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

This is the camera that I'm using. You'll notice that small black box in the background. That box has a control button on it, which lets you reverse the image, change to a different grid pattern, adjust the grid position and even lets you adjust the size of the grid.

Here is a link to the camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTZUHOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTZUHOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Bob Beroza; 02-15-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:43 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

This is the camera that I'm using. You'll notice that small black box in the background. That box has a control button on it, which lets you reverse the image, change to a different grid pattern, adjust the grid position and even lets you adjust the size of the grid.

Here is a link to the camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the camera I have. It just doesn't do all those things.
Meanwhile, the wifi crapped out and I'm just extremely frustrated with the whole thing!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I couldn't find the original thread.
I wish I knew how to post pictures but on the one I bought there was a wire sticking out of the cameras harness on the end that plugs into the long wire to the monitor right behind the plug. It's just a loop of wire about an inch and a half long and if the image is reversed from the way you want it to be all you do is snip that wire right in the middle of the loop and cover them with tape. This reverses the image.
Not all the cameras are reversable, some are setup already for front use but can be reversed for rear use and most are rear view which can be switched to front view by sniping the wire. But alot are just rearview and not reversible. Most are sold for rearview anyway so there is no need for it on them which is more likely what you have if there is not that little loop of wire on it. One of mine, the one I have on the front has 2 loops, the second one is if you don't want the guidelines then you just snip it too. I don't particularly like the side part of the guide lines as they are not anywhere close to the actual side of the car itself but the aproach lines are fine, you just have to experiment with the angle for that.
If you don't have a little loop of wire on the camera's actual harness somewhere you probably need a camera that deffinately states it is reversible, that's what I ended up doing. Amazon't got tons of these cameras. I have 2 Esky ones and 2 other types too but I like the little black ones about 3/4 in dia. and they have a great picture.
A hint, when you are installing these keep the monitor down on the floor with you while you are mounting the camera even if you have to run a separate temporary wire to the battery to be able to see where to aim the camera, it's enough to drive you crazy if the monitor is in the car first and have to climb in and out of the car 100 times to readjust them. I found that out the hard way on the first camera.
I had an extra monitor I used for the second camera and made it a hell of a lot easier.
All of those little Eskys with the small metal bracket are able to loosen the front lens cap enough to move the bracket or rotate the camera any angle you need to get the picture level and tightened back up. Most of the instructions don't amount to **** but if it has a little bracket behind the lens cap it is able to be rotated by loosining the lens cap. By all means make sure it has a fuse in the power line to all cameras plus the monitor. Of course they can all be separate fuses, you can get those inline fuses from Amazon too.
I also got a thing called Add a Fuse. you find an empty powered fuse slot in your fusebox and plug this in, it has legs on it like a fuse and a wire coming off it plus the fuse. You can even remove a fuse being used and replace it with this thing and both circuits will be protected with the single fuse you plug in to the unit.
You just lookup Add a Fuse and Inline fuses on Amazon and they have it all, very cheap, I got a bag of each very reasonable 4 for the price of 1 at Autozone. I love Amazon, use it about everyother day for something and usualy 2 day shipping with Prime depending on the actual manufacturer. Love it Again I wish I knew how to post links and pictures, it makes things a lot easier.

Last edited by Rabbitman; 02-16-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

That's the camera I have. It just doesn't do all those things.
Meanwhile, the wifi crapped out and I'm just extremely frustrated with the whole thing!
Did you get the little instruction manual with the camera? If your camera has that little black box attached to the wire you should be able to do all those modifications. It has a small raised black button on it.

As to the WiFi crapping out, one of the other guys had a similar problem. If it's not your ground wire then it might be the WiFi Unit. Contact the manufacturer and have them send you another one.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap front camera

Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Did you get the little instruction manual with the camera? If your camera has that little black box attached to the wire you should be able to do all those modifications. It has a small raised black button on it.

As to the WiFi crapping out, one of the other guys had a similar problem. If it's not your ground wire then it might be the WiFi Unit. Contact the manufacturer and have them send you another one.
Yes, my camera has the button, but cycling it only adds/removes the lines. Am in contact with the WiFi manufacturer but not encouraged with his help so far.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Front camera transfering

Originally Posted by red 1
Just bought this wifi wireless unit and camera that displays on my Iphone for $38.00, not 1080hd but good enough to not ruin front bumper and new splitter.

There is an engineer (my friend),working as we speak on how to transfer the front camera that transmits to the I phone over to the Corvette screen. He said it will take a little more time, but it can be done. I don't know yet if I have to purchase another transmitter or not, but maybe not. Keep you informed when he finishes.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 PM
alexsoo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a new phone and dont know what the wifi link password is.
Anyone have it handy?

Quick Reply: Cheap front camera