Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Spy Photos of GM's Mid-Engine Supercar - Sept 12, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:31 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I want to think the C8 mid-engine will be a car attainable by the upper middle class ($80K ish) but with $100K C7 GS's out there, I'm not so sure.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:58 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I want to think the C8 mid-engine will be a car attainable by the upper middle class ($80K ish) but with $100K C7 GS's out there, I'm not so sure.
Here is the almost guaranteed answer. If it really is a C8, meaning next generation Corvette, it will be priced within 5% of the current C7. If it's a separate model it will be priced at or above the C6 ZR1. I feel almost certain it will be the latter.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:05 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Well, if I lived in the snow belt, I wouldn't have a Corvette as my primary transportation. To expect ANY sports car to be able to deal with that is simply foolish. This notion that AWD makes the GTR/911 Turbo/Lambo into GOOD vehicles for snow is silly, for several reasons:
1. Ground clearance
2. AWD MAY get you moving forward, but how are you going to STOP?
3. Stopping....a necessary deal. I'm pretty certain one needs snow tires for that and I'm also pretty certain that the number of snow tires available for ultra high performance sports cars is VERY limited, because most people DON'T DRIVE SPORTS CARS IN THE SNOW, and therefore, the tire makers aren't going to make tires that don't sell.

I'll say it again. Expecting a Corvette to be a 365 day a year car if you live in Boston is just like expecting your Ford F150 to be track day monster. This is not the fault of GM, this is the fault of unrealistic expectations.
You can type those words till the cows come home, but I'll absolutely guarantee you that there are many Corvettes in the snow belt that are daily drivers. I've lived in the north. It's not really that often that in major cities you have to drive in deep snow.

Most major cities do a good job of plowing streets during major snowstorms, or people just stay home. Other option is that many owners are married and can work out something with their spouse to carpool during really bad weather. Point being thay many Corvette owners don't use it as a weekend car only.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:25 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
You can type those words till the cows come home, but I'll absolutely guarantee you that there are many Corvettes in the snow belt that are daily drivers. I've lived in the north. It's not really that often that in major cities you have to drive in deep snow.

Most major cities do a good job of plowing streets during major snowstorms, or people just stay home. Other option is that many owners are married and can work out something with their spouse to carpool during really bad weather. Point being thay many Corvette owners don't use it as a weekend car only.
How are you Jim?? I lived in the Princeton NJ area for 8 months starting the first week of January 1976 on a job assignment. Drove the 72 vette up there from Houston and drove that car 30 miles round trip every single day commuting to the office in Trenton. Never had a serious problem in the deep dark of winter there. The vette did just fine as US1 was generally kept plowed.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

I wouldn't even drive a Mustang here in Michigan in the winter for 5 reasons

1. Salt (we use about 10 times what we should)
2. Neighborhoods are not plowed regularly (therefore there is 2-4 inches of snow on them most of the Winter)
3. Other drivers (people don't know how to drive, and don't use snow tires so they crash. I've seen people driving on SUMMER tires in winter! Of course there are usually BMW drivers and probably don't know they have summer tires).
4. Lack of snow tires (since using snow tires on my 2006 GTO I refuse to drive in winter without them, it makes things so much nicer).
5. I drove a GTO in winter for 2 years, it was OK but getting in and out of my sub was a PITA. I never got stuck when we had less than 3 inches on the ground, but at 4-6 inches I wasn't a fan.

Hell at this point over 6 inches my Focus ST is useless here in Michigan. My next winter vehicle will be a Truck or a Crossover with Winter tires (and AWD only if it's a FWD based crossover) because I am sick of getting stuck in my subdivision (and in the summer I need to haul stuff home from Home Depot/Lowes).

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 09-28-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Back in the mid 1970s many of us learned how to drive in the winter snow months in rear wheel drive v8 pony cars with studded snow tires..

No abs, no active handling and we all managed to get out to see our girlfriends..

Where there is a will there is a way.

There were very few fwd cars, AWD cars or cuvs back in the sixties and seventies..

We all managed to get around in our rear wheel drive high performance pony cars from the sixties ....we were kids who just got our licenses and loved to drive...

We enjoyed our new found freedom....and none of us had cuv s...lol

There were k5 Blazers and ford broncos and none of us wanted them...

Low lean fast and mean...and come the winter months it was snow tires on the rear or studded snows...

We all managed...

I even had a mid engine turbocharged scorpion that was my daily driver a few years later ...I think I put a couple hundred thousand miles on that thing....

It was actually pretty good in the snow and that was without snow tires too..
Gonzo (10-01-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

True, and a lot of our friends died or were seriously injured cars of that era. But, you right that many of the survivors actually learned how to drive.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:54 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Back in the mid 1970s many of us learned how to drive in the winter snow months in rear wheel drive v8 pony cars with studded snow tires..

No abs, no active handling and we all managed to get out to see our girlfriends..

There were very few fwd cars, AWD cars or cuvs back in the sixties and seventies..

We all managed to get around in our rear wheel drive high performance pony cars from the sixties ....we were kids who just got our licenses and loved to drive...

Low lean fast and mean...and come the winter months it was snow tires on the rear or studded snows...

We all managed...

I even had a mid engine turbocharged scorpion that was my daily driver a few years later ...I think I put a couple hundred thousand miles on that thing....

You managed to survive! The statistic show that significantly more miles are driven a year now yet deaths are down significantly so I think you just prove the point for everybody else
Boiler_81 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 02:10 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Well, if I lived in the snow belt,
2. AWD MAY get you moving forward, but how are you going to STOP?
3. Stopping....a necessary deal. I'm pretty certain one needs snow tires for that and I'm also pretty certain that the number of snow tires available for ultra high performance sports cars is VERY limited, because most people DON'T DRIVE SPORTS CARS IN THE SNOW, and therefore, the tire makers aren't going to make tires that don't sell.
I live in the snow belt, and I had a Stealth TT AWD as a daily driver and I also had correct sized Goodyear M&S tires, and it went just fine in the snow, as long as it wasn't more than about 5 or 6 inches deep, as good as my 4x4 did.
Snow tires were mandatory, but they are mandatory in the snow belt AS tires get by, but when it's bad, they are junk.

It was actually quite fun, as you could slid it around in the snow, big long slow power drifts.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:37 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Dave
I was just going to post the same thing....I don't know why people think that this is a c8 corvette. I know there was concepts pictures out there in the past but that really doesn't mean a thing.

Ditto of a ditto. Personally, I think it's a mid engined Caddy. Another reason they recently added the caddy driver's school at Spring Mtn. Somewhere a bunch of people in the know are laughing at all the C8 conjecture.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Then there are people like me. We don't get much snow(more likely we get ice) so when I hear a forecast of snow on the TV, I run to the grocery store, get a weeks worth of food, etc and just hole up for awhile watching old westerns.

No point(doesn't matter what kind of car I drive, as I don't want to end up in a car wreck or in the hospital) in getting out and having to deal with the know it all's that are very likely to crash into me because they are driving on nearly bald summer tires in the snow or ice. We don't get enough bad winter weather for anyone to justify buying dedicated winter tires to use once a year for a couple of days.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-28-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
You managed to survive! The statistic show that significantly more miles are driven a year now yet deaths are down significantly so I think you just prove the point for everybody else
Sounds like an advertisement for CUV s....I have no friends that died in a snow accident. It's actually ridiculous to make such statements but if if it makes you feel better it's ok with me.

Sorry to go off topic.

Mid engine cars are actually pretty good in the snow. Traditionally the rear weight bias is helpful.

A c8 with mid rear engine would be cool in 2021 ..I would not hesitate to use it as a daily driver

The ultra exotic ZR1 /Zora Owners in 2019 I respect wont use it often...much less snow,
Old 09-28-2016, 05:17 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iver-fail.html
Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=JerriVette;1593148376]Sounds like an advertisement for CUV s....I have no friends that died in a snow accident. It's actually ridiculous to make such statements but if if it makes you feel better it's ok with me.

Sorry to go off topic.

Mid engine cars are actually pretty good in the snow. Traditionally the rear weight bias is helpful.

A c8 with mid rear engine would be cool in 2021 ..I would not hesitate to use it as a daily driver

The ultra exotic ZR1 /Zora Owners in 2019 I respect wont use it often...much less snow,[/QUOTE

Jerri I wasn't alive for the 70's so I didn't have any friends die but it sounds like others did. All I'm saying is statistically millions more people drive now yet we have fewer deaths. I'm going to guess safer cars and tech have guided that. Obviously awd is probably a small factor but for many it is helpful and most of all it helps BAD drivers, which helps you! I drive a RWD box truck in the snow no problem but that doesn't protect me from everyone else. I look forward to the ME car whether is awd or RWD, just as long as it can efficiently put power down.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerriVette

We all managed...

I don't want to sound accusatory but I think your post misses the point behind mine.

It's not that it can't be done. It can and has. It's what I WON'T do. This is an important distinction.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I can certainly respect your choice not to drive your car year round. Please consider respecting those who choose to.

It's so easy and enjoyable. I enjoy using my possessions and pride myself on not allowing them to possess me..

Different choices and different perspectives.

Both are correct.

I look forward to the new mid engine corvette ZR1.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

That post comes off super condescending. No one is saying you can't do any of those things (or not respecting their choices). I'm arguing a point here, a point I think just seems lost on a lot of folks. So I guess I'm going to have to stop because in reality at this point I'm having a conversation with the wall, and the wall doesn't care if there is a Mid-Engine Corvette, let alone if it's going to have AWD or be driven in the winter.

Sheesh....

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-02-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.

Get notified of new replies

To New Spy Photos of GM's Mid-Engine Supercar - Sept 12, 2016

Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Typing can come across incorrectly. Please accept my apology as condescending was not the intent.

Just conversational.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

May as well get to know a little about the man this car is being linked to...just ordered a copy of the following book:

Zora Arkus-Duntov -The Legend Behind Corvette (Chevrolet). Available on Amazon.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-02-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:06 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

I actually got to speak with someone who engineered a major part on the next Corvette. I couldn't get an answer on mid-engine or not but I was told the car would be released in 2019/2020.

Quick Reply: New Spy Photos of GM's Mid-Engine Supercar - Sept 12, 2016