Sponsored by:

Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by bikevette
Update. The entire differential has to be replaced. The diff. clutch has burn marks on it, and the diff. itself has excessive play I'm told. The dealer says they will send the bad parts into GM when the new parts arrive for determination on who/what is at fault, then decide if I'm going to be reimbursed.

Parts on backorder with no estimated delivery date.

What could a driver possibly do to affect rear diff. operation, it's all automatic.
Given the reported findings above, I'm nearly certain you're covered. I will be shocked if GM denies coverage. It's still a shame that a "rogue" GM field rep put you in this situation.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-29-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Personally, I'd sue 'em!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:45 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraboy
Show your dealer this quote from the "Ask Tadge" thread:
The OP should save that one. It is definitely relevant if GM decides not to pay. They can certainly refuse to pay if they can show definitive "abuse", but they can not claim that track use automatically == abuse...

Last edited by xwing; 09-29-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
OP, congratulations on keeping your cool, you seem to be the one least upset about the situation and I like your honesty is the best policy, so rare these days. Anyway hope it all works out in your favor and lesson to other HPDE drivers, clean the car well and put some new shoes on her for warranty work.
As an aside, A new set at Discount Tire out the door for 4 stock Pirelli Super Sports runs me $1708 and are replaced every 6-8 track days. I change pads about as often, and I have a new set of rotors and 10 quarts 15-50 on the garage floor along with two liters of Motul 600 ready for another flush. I have a shop do diff and clutch fluids. A well maintained HPDE vehicle probably gets better maintenance then the other 99%.

I've tracked a GSX- R600 seven times this summer and it's still on original tires and pads, and fluid changes are a piece of cake. Different worlds.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 PM
bikevette
Racer

GM customer service, if you are monitoring this could you please PM me? Thank you for your assistance.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:53 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

GM customer service, if you are monitoring this could you please PM me? Thank you for your assistance.
GM-

Do right by your loyal customers.
We are all watching.

Bikevette-

Good luck.
Keep us posted.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:58 AM
fastgts
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

bikevette, hopefully things will work out for you but if you don't get the resolution to this that you should you could try what I did with my 2006 C6 when I had a problem with my painted top separating. Without going into the boring details after close to a year (I had a clear top so wasn't in a hurry) of the dealership saying the painted tops were in short supply and he couldn't get one I gave up on him. I had documented every time I had talked to the dealership. I emailed copies of that documentation with a calm explanation of what was happening and what resolution I wanted to GM Customer Assistance. The next day I had a very helpful GM person call me and just over 2 weeks later I had my replacement painted top. One of the things that helped produce those results? When I sent that email to GM Customer Service I cc'ed top Chevrolet/GM people - Richard Wagoner, Bob Lutz, Gary Cowger and Tom Wallace. It took some digging to get some of those email addresses but in my case it was worth it.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:42 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Update. The entire differential has to be replaced. The diff. clutch has burn marks on it, and the diff. itself has excessive play I'm told. The dealer says they will send the bad parts into GM when the new parts arrive for determination on who/what is at fault, then decide if I'm going to be reimbursed.

Parts on backorder with no estimated delivery date.

What could a driver possibly do to affect rear diff. operation, it's all automatic.
You really, really, need to go back down to the dealership and get the warranty issue straightened out ASAP. Why? Because you may be in for a very long wait otherwise. GM has a protocol for assignment of parts. Cars on assembly line, warranty parts, then everybody else. Right now as far as GM is concerned, you get zero priority.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^ Not only for that good reason of availability, but for cost reasons (unless the cost is not a concern). I have no idea what a rear diff costs but I just had one replaced on an awd-suv under extended warranty. The cost that could have been on my dime was almost $3K. Granted, OP's will/should be less.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:32 AM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
^^ Not only for that good reason of availability, but for cost reasons (unless the cost is not a concern). I have no idea what a rear diff costs but I just had one replaced on an awd-suv under extended warranty. The cost that could have been on my dime was almost $3K. Granted, OP's will/should be less.
$5600 before tax = My payment if I don't get reimbursed. And that I'm told by the dealer that is their warranty rate, not walk-out rate. Entire diff has to be replaced according to dealer. No swap out of internal parts like the diff clutch, internal gears, etc.

If no parts by end of this week arr at dealer- to include reassy, will start email and phone calls up the GM chain. I have given the dealer every chance to behave professionally so far and will continue to do so.

Tag's philosophy on track usage needs to be recommunicated down to the Reg. Mngr level. There is a misconnect somewhere.

Last edited by bikevette; 10-03-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Holy mackerel! That's exotic-car territory as far as your price goes (and I do understand it goes up from there if it was regular retail). Keep us posted, and good luck.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:34 PM
bikevette
Racer

Update. The differential is expected to arrive at a (undisclosed) "shipping location" sometime next week.
The car's been in the shop for a month now.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:46 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Update. The differential is expected to arrive at a (undisclosed) "shipping location" sometime next week.
The car's been in the shop for a month now.
Has GM customer service contacted you privately? They typically been very responsive here on the forums and have been a great customer advocate.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:21 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by kevincol
Has GM customer service contacted you privately? They typically been very responsive here on the forums and have been a great customer advocate.
No they haven't, although I asked them to.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:50 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincol
Have they really? Has there been owners with issues that have said that? I am sorry to be a doubter but I have owned other cars where the customer service is a fixture on the boards just like here. They are always fast with the canned response and promise to follow up if PM'ed the details. Just seems like they never really add much value...well that's not true, sometimes they can assist in getting delivery dates and progress
Old 10-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

No they haven't, although I asked them to.
Pity, since so many of us are watching.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:36 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by falconhulk
They are always fast with the canned response and promise to follow up if PM'ed the details. Just seems like they never really add much value...well that's not true, sometimes they can assist in getting delivery dates and progress
I have seen little or no evidence that they have actually helped anyone beyond listening and making nice noises. If someone has had a positive experience following a forum contact from a customer service rep I would appreciate hearing about it.

Last edited by JimNeedsC7; 10-08-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Old 10-08-2016, 07:25 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
I have seen little or no evidence that they have actually helped anyone beyond listening and making nice noises. If someone has had a positive experience following a forum contact from a customer service rep I would appreciate hearing about it.
I wrote GM when my C7 was in the shop awaiting parts and I believe they did help expedite shipment of the parts to my dealer. Whether or not posting on this forum helped or not, I cannot confirm. I did get a call from GM but not until after I wrote my letter.
The following users liked this post:
Len44 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:51 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I got the impression everything the GM reps posted here was cleared by the lawyers first to keep them from obligating GM in any way. You'd see statements like "I'm glad you reached out proactively to your dealer...." Nobody but a lawyer talks like that.

Count me among the skeptics when it comes to the CS reps doing anything meaningful for the customer.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 PM
bikevette
Racer

Update. Still waiting on parts. 6 weeks in the shop up on a lift now. Parts "expected" to arrive Oct 27th.

Quick Reply: Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51