Sponsored by:

C7 electrical wiring question.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default C7 electrical wiring question.....

I am seeking to tie into a 12 v source (hopefully in the center console area near the shifter) for my LED cupholder lights.

I want something that ties into power that is powered WHEN THE CAR LIGHTS COME ON.....

Last install I did on our 2016 I tapped into the back side of the 12v power outlet in the center console, BUT that is always on, when the car is running, day, or night. I did put a on/off switch on it, but would rather just have something that is on anytime the car lights are on, eliminating the need for the switch.

I was hoping to use the light that is with the gear indicator on the Automatics (as I have)...... BUT that is always lit up, regardless of what the car lights are doing.

Any ideas of where I can tap into that would be HOT when the car lights are on ???

thanks

Richard

Last edited by Strake; 11-18-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:01 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have a wiring list for a 2015 and it says the headlight wire is the white/purple wire coming out of the bcm on the passenger side. It's the white 26 pin plug, pin 16 is the wire. I have no idea if this is still correct on a 2017, or how much you want to tear into things. I don't think the bcm is too hard to get to, just pull the kick panel.
The following users liked this post:
Strake (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Tom,

Thanks for the detailed info

Now for a REALLY basic question, what's a BCM? I guessing its' ? control module........ question is, what is it, and where is it located?

Any chance you have a diagram showing it's location?

You were the one who put me onto the AccentGlow LED's last Feb and I put them in our '16 Stingray in blue.... those I tapped into power at the center armrest accessory plug, on the back side. I did run a switch up under the dash near the drivers right knee.

This time, I want to eliminate the switch and have it run JUST when the lights are on.

Thanks again for the help !

Richard
Old 11-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Hey Richard, I'm glad you're still going to make use of them! Here are some instructions that show how to get to the bcm (body control module):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html

Hopefully this will work!
The following users liked this post:
Strake (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Hey Richard, I'm glad you're still going to make use of them! Here are some instructions that show how to get to the bcm (body control module):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html

Hopefully this will work!
Tom,

Thanks so much...... big help....

I'm getting RED LED cupholder lights this time. I did go out to the car and removed the kick panel so I could pull back the carpet enough to get a peek. Glad you sent me this, as I was thinking it was the huge interconnect to the right of the BCM that has a mess of wires in it. I'll hunt around, looking for a white 26 pin connector, wire #16 purple/white to see if I can locate it.

This was really a big help, THANK YOU !!!

Haven't ordered my RED Cupholder LED's yet, just getting my thoughts in order, and a plan on how best to proceed. Will be ordering in the next day or two.

Richard
Old 11-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Here's the wiring list I have, if that doesn't work maybe something else on it will spark your creativity:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2015 corvette.pdf (1.07 MB, 895 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Rooster OG:
Marc DeSatnik (03-28-2017), Strake (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Tom,

WOW !!!!!! Great stuff. It gives me the opportunity to look as see if I have a better choice of what to tap into.

Really appreciate the help

Thank you,

Richard
Old 03-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Marc DeSatnik
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Rooster OG - double thanks!

I've been searching everywhere for a parking light wire for my boost gauge (didn't want to have to run it to the parking light)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I saw this post last night, has a picture from someone that has clearly done it with blue lights. May be worth reaching out to them.

Then I looked more closely and saw it was RoosterOG, who is already providing you with information :-)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Here is a simple solution that first appears a bit crazy. But read to the end:

First the receptacle in the console does go off with the car. If you don't want to remove the console, tap into the power, add a fuse that will not be accessible unless you remove the console again:

DO WHAT MANY OF US DID TO POWER OUR RADAR DETECTORS BEFORE IT WAS DISCOVERED YOU COULD USE MIRROR POWER.

Thought it was crazy and tried other spots but when I used the approach others said worked great, it took 5 minutes! Use the fuse for that console receptacle, it's in the rear fuse panel, #37!

Now before you say crazy, the positive wire is connected to an Add-A-Circut that is fused the whole length with whatever fuse you'd like. The wire just fits under the molding along the floor carpet. Pull it away with you fingers. In less than 5 minutes you're back to fuse 37.

For the ground I used a bolt under the passenger dash. Worked for 3 1/2 years when I sold my September 2013 built C7. FWIW

Sounds crazy but works.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-28-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 electrical wiring question.....

Quick Reply: C7 electrical wiring question.....