C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove driver side muffler/catback on A8 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:07 AM
CedarZ4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you remove driver side muffler/catback on A8 cars?

Has anyone removed the stock muffler/cat-back system on an automatic by themselves? I'm trying to take off the stock system to put on a new exhaust but I'm having trouble getting the driver/left side off. The right one came right out after some wiggling, but I'm having some serious issues on the left. It's not clearing the shift linkage. I've watched the Corsa install video multiple times and I know I have put to put the car in neutral. It did give some room, but it's still half an inch from clearing the pipe. Thoughts? Tips? What am I doing wrong.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:04 AM
Deon Zhao
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine out by putting it in neutral and wiggling it out. Just got to try harder and find the right angle. Although I do have an A6, so it might be different...
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
CedarZ4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deon Zhao
I got mine out by putting it in neutral and wiggling it out. Just got to try harder and find the right angle. Although I do have an A6, so it might be different...
Did you put it in neutral and turn off the car or did you leave the engine running. Electronic parking brakes?

I noticed in the Corsa install videos the shift linkage is different color than mine, presumably because it was an earlier model A6. Anyone know if there was a part # change between the two?
Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CedarZ4
Has anyone removed the stock muffler/cat-back system on an automatic by themselves? I'm trying to take off the stock system to put on a new exhaust but I'm having trouble getting the driver/left side off. The right one came right out after some wiggling, but I'm having some serious issues on the left. It's not clearing the shift linkage. I've watched the Corsa install video multiple times and I know I have put to put the car in neutral. It did give some room, but it's still half an inch from clearing the pipe. Thoughts? Tips? What am I doing wrong.
I removed the nut holding the linkage to the trans and took the Linkage off the stud. Jacked the car up with a quick jack about a foot and a half in he air and it came out and went back on easy.
The following users liked this post:
CedarZ4 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by ap6954
I removed the nut holding the linkage to the trans and took the Linkage off the stud. Jacked the car up with a quick jack about a foot and a half in he air and it came out and went back on easy.
^^^^^^
This

Regards
Chip

Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 PM
CedarZ4
Advanced

Good info! I tried removing the linkage but was unsuccessful. Is the bolt circled in red the one I'm supposed to remove? I got it off but nothing budged.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:20 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Good info! I tried removing the linkage but was unsuccessful. Is the bolt circled in red the one I'm supposed to remove? I got it off but nothing budged.

yes that's the one. You have to remove the nut and then pry the lever off the stud.
CedarZ4 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 08:36 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

CedarZ4, let us know how the finish install goes. I am thinking about a new exhaust and I have the A8.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:50 PM
CedarZ4
Advanced

yes that's the one. You have to remove the nut and then pry the lever off the stud.
I removed the nut but wasn't able to remove the linkage as you suggested. I tried prying it very hard with a flat head with no luck.
Do you know what the proper torque is for the nut? I'm afraid I might have over-tightened it because shifting gears now feels rough, but then again I'm not even sure if that's possible from that one nut and it may just all be in my head.

With that said, I was able to get the pipes out by shifting the car into M mode. I had my phone recording under the car as I was shifting through the gears and noticed that in the M position the linkage moves into its farthest position (most towards the front of the car). This gives you just enough clearance to slip the pipes out.
The following 2 users liked this post by CedarZ4:
cam30era (12-09-2016), HAD2HAV2 (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:46 AM
ap6954
Instructor

I removed the nut but wasn't able to remove the linkage as you suggested. I tried prying it very hard with a flat head with no luck.
Do you know what the proper torque is for the nut? I'm afraid I might have over-tightened it because shifting gears now feels rough, but then again I'm not even sure if that's possible from that one nut and it may just all be in my head.

With that said, I was able to get the pipes out by shifting the car into M mode. I had my phone recording under the car as I was shifting through the gears and noticed that in the M position the linkage moves into its farthest position (most towards the front of the car). This gives you just enough clearance to slip the pipes out.
i don't know why you were having trouble getting the linkage off the shaft. It's just a squared off shaft with no splines. Mine pryed off easy and I did not torque the nut but it was not that tight.
cam30era (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:48 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

In a auto this is what you have to do are you may break it off are do something you didn't want to do... Robert
Old 12-09-2016, 07:12 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

CedarZ4, did you have to have help during the lower rear bumper panel and exhaust removal or did you do all the work yourself?
Great job. Show us a pic of your new pipes.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 12-09-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:02 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I can further confirm putting it in M works whereas N does not on my 2019
Old 06-20-2022, 01:51 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Hacksaw about 2-3" behind the muffler is what worked for me. Expand the remaining stub enough to slip the pipe back in the muffler and use a clamp to hold it in place.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove driver side muffler/catback on A8 cars?

Quick Reply: How do you remove driver side muffler/catback on A8 cars?