C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a big shout out to the C7 engineer who........

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson
In a city with a million people + or - one or two, he might be the only one from now till April
Nope. There are a few
Old 12-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

I'm very impressed with our two Calgary friends, who drive their cars in a harsh winter climate. I dealt with frigid temps during my years in Minneapolis, but my cars were always in heated garages both at home and work, which made it a lot easier.

However, I'm pretty sure you can retrofit a block heater . . . see link below:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...tte&vi=5223376

Last edited by Foosh; 12-10-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:04 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Maybe it was designed by an Englishman.....

.....who's father used to work for Lucas or Smith/MG/Austin.....remember the joy of driving a (friend's) 1960 MGA across the Golden Gate Bridge, car dies (of course) and I pull over and realize:

A. The batteries (yes, batteries) are behind the seat under a panel AND
they are two six volt batteries.......

IT COULD BE MUCH WORSE..............
Old 12-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Aflyer
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Back in the day, the C-2 battery was placed inside the front driver's side fender. If you were double jointed, and had fore arms the size of popeye, it was a easy removal.
But only after you took the straps off the expansion tank, and moved it out of the way, as I recall.
Aflyer
Old 12-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm very impressed with our two Calgary friends, who drive their cars in a harsh winter climate. I dealt with frigid temps during my years in Minneapolis, but my cars were always in heated garages both at home and work, which made it a lot easier.
Heated garages on both ends here as well.

Was out driving today and saw 3 or 4 911's. And a Bentley.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
.....who's father used to work for Lucas or Smith/MG/Austin.....remember the joy of driving a (friend's) 1960 MGA across the Golden Gate Bridge, car dies (of course) and I pull over and realize:

A. The batteries (yes, batteries) are behind the seat under a panel AND
they are two six volt batteries.......

IT COULD BE MUCH WORSE..............
Ha Ha. Boy does that bring back memories. Had the same set up in my 64 MGB. Plus the car was wired positive ground! My original radio was inop, and I never could find a replacement due to that.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:45 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I dunno...it seems ridiculous GM would make a battery or air cleaner replacement a Dealer affair.
I'm not surprised. The back room is what is keeping most dealerships afloat now days. Btw, how badly did you get weather slammed ?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Aflyer
But only after you took the straps off the expansion tank, and moved it out of the way, as I recall.
Aflyer
Damn, how do y'all remember all that ? 'Course, mine was totalled several months after I bought it. By that time the C3 was out so It was time to move on. Big mistake on my part.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
Even the Chevy Volt has a standard battery for starting / house duties.

At least the C7 isn't like BMW where you have to take the effing thing to the dealer to reprogram the car after installing a new battery. However what BMW does offer when 'registering' the new battery is the selection of battery type so the charging system tailors the charge appropriately. I know of at least one BMW owner that was cheap, did their own thing, and the car has overcharged and the cars caught fire.
That was not being cheap; he did not want to be raped by the stealership for what should be a $100 battery. There is a reason people like me crossed BMW off their shopping list. I can't stand being taken advantage of nor do I want to have poor long term reliability.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:16 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
was in charge of placing the battery where it's located. Thanks for not making it so easy to remove because of the hump where the hatch light is, thank you for not making the carpet covering the access panel pre-indented for easy folding and thank you for not using a battery with a built in handle to make it easier to lift out like the Interstate battery that I used to replace it. At -21 Celsius (-6 F) it was a joy replacing my battery that probably didn't have to be replaced had the LT1 in my C7 had a block heater, the funny thing is, it wasn't the cold that had me dropping the f and c word every 2 mins, not even close.
That engineer probably graduated at the bottom of his class!
Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,662 Likes on 6,657 Posts

[QUOTE=kp;1593629677
If it was regular carpet in the back of the C7 it wouldnt be too bad, but that cardboard/fiber backing is pretty silly - hard to take the battery out without cracking it.

As far as 'letting the dealer do it' when I bought my '14 new the battery stone was dead on the showroom floor so they replaced it. They ripped the carpet and broke the RH plastic panel in the trunk swapping the battery so thats not the answer all the time.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by corvette-22
The backing on my cargo carpet cracked trying to flip it open for the battery. Next spring I'm making GM pay for a new one.
Originally Posted by william43
Read Hisvett article, i have two of them straps. Mine hook up to the posts. Them lift it out.
Just posted this info below on another thread. I added comments (in RED) in this post to mention an issue with the "strap" I bought to remove the old battery as well as other comments and pics.

WORD OF CAUTION: Not as easy to change the battery as in the past. I had a low voltage in my C7 since new. The car is 39 months old so replaced it as a precaution before this winter with a DieHard AGM battery that was on sale. These are some of the issues:

First, a tow truck operator, even if just coming to jump start the car, has a good chance of ripping the carpet as it is pulled back to access the battry! A post mentioned a dealer did that. (See from this Thread there are others!) I suggest popping off the lower rear clip on the plastic wheel well cover before trying to pull out the carpet. The clip is ~3 inches from the floor and comes off easily, even with your fingers and goes back with the side of your hand.

The clip is ~3 inches from the carpet and you may be able to use your fingers to unclip. It snaps back with the side of our hand. Prevents ripping the carpet corner and allows enough to carpet to be removed to stop creasing etc.

Second, there is a large power board attached to the positive recessed terminal. The battery must have the OEM recessed top configuration to fit the board, an Optima, for example, will not fit the board. Also there are clips that hold the power board to the battery top that are not obvious as to where they are located!

Large PC Power Board Cover, yellow arrow. Note needs recessed terminals or PC board or foam cover over battery won't fit! Also note center hold-down.

Put screwdrive in openings to release power board clips.

Third, the battery is in a very tight recess. You need a tool to grab and remove it. There is no room for your hands. (I bought an inexpensive lift strap that connects to the two terminals. When lifting the first time it slipped! Fortunatly was only up a few inches. When I did position on the terminals I got it up and moved the battery to left and let it sit on the floor. No way would I use the starp to lift it over my spoiler! Even at 74 still stong enough to use my hands and lift it out! The Diehard AGM came with handles!)

if Interested, this is a picture PDF of my install: http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 12-11-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
I'm not surprised. The back room is what is keeping most dealerships afloat now days.
Good point.
Btw, how badly did you get weather slammed ?
Me not so much, being in the Willamette Valley and all.
However, take a look at the poor basterds trying to go to Central Oregon this morning:

Originally Posted by golden2husky
There is a reason people like me crossed BMW off their shopping list. I can't stand being taken advantage of nor do I want to have poor long term reliability.
Amen to that...I don't know why anyone who knows anything about cars would buy one of the things when MB makes a better product.

Quick Reply: Just a big shout out to the C7 engineer who........