C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I fit a baby seat in the passenger side?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:16 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by demasterz
Does anyone know where can I find the official number of maximum weight that can be put without turning on the airbag?
I don't think you'll find an actual weight. The sensors are designed to try to detect not just the weight, but if there is a child seat installed, or the type of person. For instance, in my GMC, as a test, I had one of the kids sit in the seat at about 60 pounds and the airbag was off. However, at times, I had a 1 liter water bottle, and two cell phones on the seat in a certain location, and the airbag was on (and the car was chiming since the seatbelt wasn't fasten). It is really supposed to check if a child or child seat is in there.

I'm glad this thread starting giving better information as it went along. I don't believe that there is any state where it is illegal to put the car seat in the front if there are no rear seats and the airbag is off. That said, I personally chose not to do it. The airbag is so dangerous to a rear facing car seat, that I did not want to put the child's life in the hands of those seat sensors. Of course, logically, the child's life is in hands of the car's brakes, steering, and other systems, so there is no reason to think the seat airbag sensors are any worse than any other part of the car, but I didn't find that risk worthwhile.

On a side note, I'm glad that some states are going to 2 years rear facing as well. It is so much safer at that age, and the number of people who turn their kid around on their first birthday drives me crazy. Wife and I had some "discussions" about it back in the day....
Old 12-11-2016, 11:20 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

After my son started sitting forward, we put the Recaro Performance SPORT in the Vette using the seat belt. It secures him and is permissible by PA law. He just loves his short rides with the top down....
Old 12-11-2016, 12:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Contact GM for the weight that turns on the front passenger air bag...then you'll have the answer as to whether you can strap a rearward facing car seat in your corvette..

My 3 year old son loved driving in my various corvettes over the years as it was my daily driver...

I bought my first in September 1999 and have been dallying corvettes ever since.

Even my wife became a corvette fan as soon as I started putting our son in the corvette early Sunday mornings so she could sleep in bed late...

Amazing how those Sunday morning father son bonding moments in the corvette became one of her favorite activities...

Always take care of the new momma and let her sleep late.....with your child and you going for nice slow safe drives up around mountain roads and lakes....for the scenic tours...

Best of luck with your incoming new baby....
The following users liked this post:
demasterz (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Contact GM for the weight that turns on the front passenger air bag...then you'll have the answer as to whether you can strap a rearward facing car seat in your corvette..
Weight isn't relevant. Rearward facing car seat cannot be in the front seat.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,166 Likes on 5,990 Posts

Bump... about to buy a C7 and trying to figure out how to let my 18 month daughter go for rides with daddy. She's too big for her rear facing seat so she's aready forward facing. Will have to see if her current seat fits in the car or if I need to get a slimmer one.

Are the Recaro baby seats compact?

I was very surprised to see the C7 doesn't have the latch system when my C5Z did. Is the chrome hook behind the seat for luggage or is it for latching to top tether of a car seat?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:15 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by smajicek
just get one of these?
Or a minivan...
Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Velox72
Other replies might be correct for their local situations. Child seat laws vary from state to state. In California, you can legally put a forward-facing seat in the front seat of a vehicle that doesn't have a back seat. The age for switching from rear-facing to forward-facing also depends on local laws. In CA, the minimum forward-facing age is changing from 1 year to 2 years on Jan 1, 2017.

The Corvette doesn't have the LATCH anchors that are the easiest way to install a car seat, but most, if not all, car seats can be secured using the car's seat belts. The C7 belts have a child seat mode that locks the retractor so you can tighten the belt, but it can't be extended. The passenger airbag deactivates if the car detects that there's not a full-sized adult in the passenger seat. This is based on weight on the seat (and possibly influenced by the retractor lock; I'm not sure).

Some child seats are bigger than others, so you'd want to find a smaller (narrower) one for best fit.

To sum up, you can put a child seat in a C7, and the car is designed to allow you to do so. The local laws where you live may or may not allow you to do so legally. Your specific child seat may or may not fit conveniently, depending on its size and shape. Whether or not you are comfortable putting a child in the Corvette is up to you, but it's pretty fun to hear a two year old yell "Bye, bye, cars! Vroom!"
Very enlightening post. TY.

"The C7 belts have a child seat mode that locks the retractor so you can tighten the belt". How can I activate the child seat mode?

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-20-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
"The C7 belts have a child seat mode that locks the retractor so you can tighten the belt". How can I activate the child seat mode?
If you pull the seatbelt all the way out, it will ratchet and not quit tightening until you completely retract it.

The OM has an entire section which covers all the questions asked so far, except the differing laws. It's very clear about what is recommended, and what is not.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (11-20-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:19 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Main reason I traded in my c7 was because we had a baby. Traded the c7 in for a hellcat charger. Still a ton of fun with plenty of room for the family. A child should always be kept in a rear facing car seat in THE BACK SEAT!!! Either lease a cheap car with a back seat or say goodbye to the corvette for a little while. It’s a sacrifice yes, but one that’s well worth it to keep the baby safe. Actually for me it wasn’t much of a sacrifice at all. Yea I miss
The handling of he c7 but the hellcat is a beast and when driving without the baby I certainly enjoy the 707 HP!

Last edited by brooklync5; 11-21-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Oh and congrats on the baby! Life may get a bit harder but certainly more rewarding once your a dad.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I was one of the first people to install the airbag turn off switch in my 1999 corvette c5.

The new cars don't need that switch installed. The airbags turn off automatically with a child in the front seat.

Go for it..

Just remember Sunday mornings to take the baby out and let the mommy sleep late on Sunday morning and you'll get her buy in...

It's no problem and corvettesa re among the safest cars on the road with a structurally strong chassis.

Congrats on the new baby on the way...

Getting a new corvette back in the day when my kid was young was the best thing I did for my marriage.

Lead by example was my motto...

Parenting doesn't mean you stop enjoying life.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:54 AM
M_G
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

When my 7 year old daughter is in the front seat in a booster the airbag is on sometimes and off at others. She is about 60 pounds.

When my 4 year old comes with me occasionally the airbag is always off.

I don't take my kids on long trips, but will take them out just around town sometimes because its exciting for them.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:37 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
If you pull the seatbelt all the way out, it will ratchet and not quit tightening until you completely retract it.

The OM has an entire section which covers all the questions asked so far, except the differing laws. It's very clear about what is recommended, and what is not.
This is also helpful on the track to keep you in the seat.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:09 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Bump... about to buy a C7 and trying to figure out how to let my 18 month daughter go for rides with daddy. She's too big for her rear facing seat so she's aready forward facing. Will have to see if her current seat fits in the car or if I need to get a slimmer one.

Are the Recaro baby seats compact?

I was very surprised to see the C7 doesn't have the latch system when my C5Z did. Is the chrome hook behind the seat for luggage or is it for latching to top tether of a car seat?
DO NOT top tether to the chrome hook in the cargo area! It isn't a load bearing attachment in any way, in fact it's main purpose in life is to give the bottom part of the cargo shade something to attach to.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:13 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

There is no LATCH system in the C7.

Meaning there is no upper tether point. The last Vette that had this was the C6 Z06/ZR1.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:38 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,166 Likes on 5,990 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
DO NOT top tether to the chrome hook in the cargo area! It isn't a load bearing attachment in any way, in fact it's main purpose in life is to give the bottom part of the cargo shade something to attach to.
Thats what I suspected... so how do you install a kids seat? Just the main belt? I just want to take my daughter to local shows and for ice cream etc... not as a primary mode of transportation.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:03 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

There were no tethers ..just use the seat belt with the child seat and take your kid.

Don't make a problem. Just enjoy.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I fit a baby seat in the passenger side?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:15 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

It's the same laws as a regular cab truck. If the airbag is disabled and it's a forward-facing car seat (normally a year or two old/by weight), you're fine. May get some dirty looks but absolutely safe and legal. By all means, look it up and don't take these randos' (myself included) word for it. Not the best vehicle for a newborn though..
Old 11-22-2017, 08:30 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

You guys are definitely over thinking this...nobody loves his kid more than me but the corvette is one of the safest vehicles on the road.

It literally has one of the strongest chassis's on the road and I'd put it up against a unitbody platform any day of the week.

The entire undercarriage is very much designed as a roll cage...

Structural rigidity is phenomenal.

Like I said I think your over thinking this...

Nobody ever gave me a dirty look as I pulled my kid out of my corvette from his car seat...

If your really hemming and hawing.,. Go to www.legendleasing.com and pick up a 189 dollar. A month lease for 36 months. No money down and call it a day...or swap a lease for a low mileage cheap lease as an extra vehicle...

Personally from experience..if you put your kid in a child seat in the corvette on Sunday mornings and take your kid for a long ride to let momma sleep late...you ll enjoy the relaxing ride, and your better half will wake up relaxed, refreshed and grateful for the noon wake up...

Your better half will quickly learn to love corvettes too...trust me it was a winning deal as a father...

Don't discuss it...just do it...when you come home she will greet you at the door with a big smile or an ax...(kidding)

At that point after you explain the safety structure of the corvette as compared to a unit bodied vehicle...and she gets to sleep late cause your out with the kid....your in like Flynn...and of course I do mean the structure and design of the corvette truly is superior to unit bodied platforms..
Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 AM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 602 Likes on 253 Posts

I have taken my now 2+ yr old several times in a forward facing seat. I actually bought a slimmer car seat/booster transition seat that fits the C7 passenger seat better. Agree that you should not place a rear facing infant seat as it really isn’t the safest place to be. With regards to the LATCH system, there was a huge push for it over the last 2 decades, but there is actually a trend away from it recently because of two reasons. 1) people (myself included) ignorantly would use just the LATCH system to secure the seat and not also use the safety belt. That combined with the fact that 2) Car seats have gotten progressively larger/heavier over the past decade led to incidences where in accidents the welds from the LATCH system would actually detach because they couldn’t handle the load. So the recommendation has been to favor harnessing with the safety belt (or safety belt combined with LATCH as was always recommended) and subsequently you now see new cars that don’t have the LATCH system at all.

Quick Reply: Can I fit a baby seat in the passenger side?