Sponsored by:

Share your road trip route with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:19 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunk
Anyone have Florida or Alaska roadtrip pictures and recommended routes?
A couple of years ago I was looking into a trip to Skagway, AK with my Z06. I was going to drive to Bellingham, WA and then take a ferry cruise to Skagway, and then ride the narrow gauge steam powered train. Then drive back to the lower 48 with a trip through the Canadian Rockies.

After investigating potential problems with getting on/off the ferry with my Corvette due to ramp angles because of tides, I decided not to do the trip.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:58 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunk
Anyone have Florida or Alaska roadtrip pictures and recommended routes?
My daughter lives in Central Florida so we visit often. Mostly flat, straight roads for miles on end. No elevation changes and no turns to break the monotony. Really not much to see there until you get to the Keys. A trip I have not done yet, but will soon.

Maybe a drive on the beach at Daytona but not too close to the salt water.

Or a track day at Daytona Speedway or Sebring. Both are moving toward the top of my bucket list.

Alaska has some of the most breathtaking scenery on the continent, but a far piece from the east coast and seems to me most of the roads are, of necessity, gravel due to the severe winter freeze/thaw cycles. Might be fun to take a Land Rover through the Denali NP, but i don't have one of those. Therefore no plans to take the Corvette there.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Just wanted to post on of my favorites from a 2010 trip in the C6. A great old iconic Route 66 motel in Lebanon, MO.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

I like the red convertible classic picture at an historic motel
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Bunk
Pro

Default Us 160 & 163

Drive the Monuments in Navajo Nation, the views are superb with great picture opportunities if you wait for the right lighting.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Bunk:
blueray16 (03-12-2017), Rebel Yell (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 11:53 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Old 03-12-2017, 09:17 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1594058775]
Originally Posted by blueray16
I have to add my thanks as well.

As I write this there is about 4" of new snow here in the Northeast. The Corvette has been in the garage since December

The travel stories and photos, make it so much easier to get through these long winter months.

In addition to the time spent enjoying these posts, I'm about to finalize the itinerary for my road trip to Badlands/Black Hills/Deadwood/Yellowstone/Teton/ Jackson Hole in early September. A far better way to spend winter afternoons, than shoveling snow.

Which is exactly what I will be doing as soon as I sign off.[/QUOTE

On the way out west on I-90, a great place to stay in Sioux Falls, SD is the Dakotah Lodge, just off I-90 on I-29.

Then it's a day's drive to Deadwood, stopping on the way to visit the Pioneer Museum in Murdo, SD and have lunch in their grill, or have lunch(the Indian taco salad is great at the restaurant in the Badlands) when you visit the Badlands. Then stop in Wall, SD to visit the Wall Drugstore and have an ice cream.

I recommend staying at the Springhill Suites by Marrott in Deadwood or the Lodge At Deadwood. If you're watching the money, the Super 8 in Deadwood is actually a great place to stay. Plan on at least a couple of days in the Black Hills so you can drive Hwy 16A, Needles highway and visit Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument. If you're into riding trains then the 1880 steam powered train between Hill City and Keystone(and return) is interesting. If you don't ride the train, then drive Hwy 323 from Hill City to Keystone and then drive Hwy 16A south, then north on Hwy 87(needles Highway). Be sure to stop off at the Peter Norbeck pull-off on Hwy 16A where you can see Mt Rushmore from high up(and at a distance). Lunch in Custer at several great places.

When you leave Deadwood, travel north on US85 towards Belle Fourche and take Hwy 34 west(turns in Hwy 24 in WY) to visit Devils Tower.

After Devil's Tower, I recommend taking I-90 west to Buffalo, WY and drive US16 west to Worland, then US 16/20 north to Greybull and then US310 north into MT to Silesia, MT.

West on US212 across Beartooth Pass, then south on Hwy 296 to Hwy 120 south to Cody, WY. then west on US20/14/16 to Yellowstone. It's a little out of the way but Beartooth Pass and Hwy 296 are worth the time.

Lots of places to stay in Yellowstone, but this late in the season you might have problem finding a place to stay in the Park. The last Time I was in Yellowstone, I stayed in a cabin at Old Faithfull Lodge(pay the extra to get a cabin with a bathroom and shower).

Short walking distance to view Old Faithfull and everything else to see there. Plenty of great places to eat. I really enjoyed the buffalo meatloaf in the Old Faithfull Lodge's dining room.

On an earlier trip to Yellowstone, we took the tour bus(Not the older yellow bus, but the tall more modern bus) that takes a day to do the 141 mile trip around the park. It lets the Corvette's driver also enjoy the scenery(instead of watching traffic) and at the various attractions, instead of driving in circles trying to find a parking spot, the bus drops you off then returns to pick you up. The bus driver is an encyclopedia of the park. With the modern tall bus, you are above the other cars/SUVs and easier to see the scenery around you. Well worth the money IMO. The bus can pick you up/drop you off at three different locations, depending on where you are staying.
http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...tone-in-a-day/

Then down to Jackson Hole/Tetons(again, motel rooms might be difficult to get this late in the season in Jackson Hole). After Jackson hole, US191 down to Rock Springs, WY and I-80 east.
I'm leaving fla on sep 4th, in route to rapid city ,SD where I will pick my wife up at the airport. I will be driving my van and towing my motorcycle. we will be camping every night. I plan on 2 nights in the bad lands after my wife arrives. then proceed towards Yellowstone,,,the Tetons. I'll fly her out of Bozeman , MT after her 10 days are up. then I will proceed south through Colorado, making my way to the Texas hill country. I hope to be back home by October

Last edited by kitesurfer; 03-12-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 AM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Montreal

This is from old town Montreal a few years ago. And yes I do like Orange Vettes!
Attached Images  

Last edited by gamo; 03-12-2017 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Great Thread with some really great pictures! Thanks all for sharing! My wife and I are planning some nice road trips this spring and will post when we do.

Anybody have any pictures of Niagara Falls? I plan to do that trip this year!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

I had tried to post this once before but was talk the link didn't work. I'm not saying this was me or even my car but looks like fun

Last edited by Davids65; 03-13-2017 at 08:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Davids65:
Bunk (12-12-2018), Rebel Yell (03-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Bunk
Pro

stone150, thank you for the gorgeous Z06 pictures from the Sierras to Big Sur.
I drive there often, my Corvette is based in San Diego

Quick Reply: Share your road trip route with pictures