Sponsored by:

How many people could have been fed for the money that Corvette cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
It's only political if you make it. Socio-economic opinions can be independent (and balanced) with other opinions one has including the above two topics. Putting a label on ones opinion (and thereby putting oneself into a box) is what makes things political.

But then again, I'm more of my own person when it comes to opinions so maybe this is just natural for me. YMMV.
I see what you're saying, but we'll just have to 'agree to disagree' on this.

I'm 99.9% sure that the OP's 'questioner' was NOT benignly wanting to start a socio-economic discussion, but rather was just snarking about OP's Corvette and trying to 'success-shame' the OP with a 'holier than thou' attitude, which is a hallmark tactic of a certain political persuasion.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
Well, as the old saying goes,

-Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime
-Give a man a fish and you'll have one less fish
-Teach the man to phish and he'll drain your bank account!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
every time we receive orders (like every 2 ,3 years ) the move usually costs us about three grand out of pour pocket!!
As a guy who has moved 23 times now - if you're spending 3 grand to move you're doing it wrong!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_K
I've received comments in parking lots getting in or out of the car. Each time, I've looked around and said, "I can pick out at least a half dozen cars that cost more than this one." They're usually dumbfounded by the remark.
Agreed, a lot of pickups cost more!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I see what you're saying, but we'll just have to 'agree to disagree' on this.

I'm 99.9% sure that the OP's 'questioner' was NOT benignly wanting to start a socio-economic discussion, but rather was just snarking about OP's Corvette and trying to 'success-shame' the OP with a 'holier than thou' attitude, which is a hallmark tactic of a certain political persuasion.
Well that may be true about the OP. But you can tailor your response to avoid the bait. I think we're in agreement there.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:14 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
As a guy who has moved 23 times now - if you're spending 3 grand to move you're doing it wrong!
Have you moved to South Korea, Three moves to Germany, Okinawa Japan, South West Asia? Lived in two countries at the same time, having to relocate spouse? Wait let me answer for you, NO!!!

Last edited by 360Lemans; 02-09-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:41 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Kent1999

Kent1999, you can safely be 100% sure of that.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
Have you moved to South Korea, Three moves to Germany, Okinawa Japan, South West Asia? Lived in two countries at the same time, having to relocate spouse? Wait let me answer for you, NO!!!
You're right! I would think that moving to different countries would increase the cost substantially. I was thinking within the US moves.
The following 2 users liked this post by defaria:
360Lemans (02-09-2017), SCB (02-12-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 02:40 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
While capitalism creates massive disparities in income, it is still better for 90% of people.
It's even better for the top 1%.

Just sayin.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad

Just sayin.
True, but what ISN'T better in the top 1%?
Thus the impetus to better our situation in life through our own efforts.

Are those efforts always fruitful for everyone?
No, but a person's chances of achieving success, however he measures it, are MUCH greater through his own efforts than if he sits around waiting for it to be handed to him, because 'fairness'.

The following users liked this post:
360Lemans (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:47 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

If you worked your life and found yourself in the top 1% or top 5%, who am I to take your money from you? Good for them...
defaria (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by patentcad

Just sayin.
Yes! Which is exactly why it works! The desire to raise oneself higher because of the likelihood of even greater returns is exactly what causes industrious and hardworking people to move up the economic ladder. Sure if you're gonna look specifically and the very biggest case, the 1%, you'll see the effect more profoundly. But the millionaire next door, who worked hard all his life to amass a small chain of stores did so precisely because he saw those above him lead the way to more prosperity. IOW if it wasn't better for the people above you then you'd have little incentive to work hard in an attempt to be like them. That's how it works!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:59 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Yes! Which is exactly why it works! The desire to raise oneself higher because of the likelihood of even greater returns is exactly what causes industrious and hardworking people to move up the economic ladder. Sure if you're gonna look specifically and the very biggest case, the 1%, you'll see the effect more profoundly. But the millionaire next door, who worked hard all his life to amass a small chain of stores did so precisely because he saw those above him lead the way to more prosperity. IOW if it wasn't better for the people above you then you'd have little incentive to work hard in an attempt to be like them. That's how it works!
Unless you were born with those advantages.

I come from an upper middle class background (my parents raised their standard of living significantly from when they got married until I graduated college) and some of my middle class and lower middle class acquaintances "cry foul" because they did not have the same advantages I had.

Granted that is a tangential argument here, but it should be noted money does not always come from your own hard work. I'd have none of the stuff I have if my parents didn't send me to good schools, pay for college, and help me get on my feet until I had a good paying job.

I think this usually gets lost when people pick sides, which is why I refuse to pick a side. Capitalism is great, but at a minimum opportunities need to exist so everyone has the best chance at succeeding (what those opportunities are is up for debate, naturally).

Ymmv.
golden2husky (03-23-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:40 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

You are describing a premise that is one of the root causes of disagreement. People who feel they have done little to deserve their current position in life, may tend to believe the less fortunate should have a share of their success. People who feel they have worked hard to build their own current position in life, may tend to believe that equal opportunity exists, but that equal opportunity does not guarantee equal results.

Last edited by drs; 02-09-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
I would of just had a simple answer to him...."don't know, don't care and by the way, you dropped your public transit pass". Ok, maybe I wouldn't of said that, probably would of just said....."Excuse me...and you are?" Ok, maybe I wouldn't of said that, maybe I would of just hacked up a loogie and flung it 6 inches from his feet as I rolled my eyes....ok, maybe not, maybe I would of pointed my finger at my crotch and............
Old 02-09-2017, 05:07 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

I was born as a white male to middle class professionals who valued education and hard work. I feel that a large portion of my success is related to the background I was born into, not because of my hard work. Of course, the OTHER portion of my "success" was due to my hard work and a degree of financial planning. I thank my parents for the traits they instilled in me.

I am always uncomfortable when I hear things like "Hey, man it must be nice to be rich, or must be nice to own a fancy car." I don't know how to respond, so I usually smile and just say, "Thanks, I really like the car..."
Old 02-09-2017, 05:12 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
Well, as the old saying goes,

-Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime
-Give a man a fish and you'll have one less fish

People who butt in and ask asinine questions like the OP mentioned make me wonder how they can go out into the rain and not drown because their months never shut.
Wrong.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat today
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
LT1 Z51 (02-09-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To How many people could have been fed for the money that Corvette cost

Old 02-09-2017, 05:29 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Wrong.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat today
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
Now that was funny
Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

When someone compliments or comments on the car I truthfully tell them I have wanted a Stingray since I was 12 years old so after raising my family and working 45 years in the same job I was able to buy one. I take no offense at whatever judgement they may pass and offer none of my own.

Now if someone were to quote to me the sappy remark the OP relayed, I might be inclined to point out that it has been around for a lot of years and previous versions have substituted other cars and motorcycles. Anyone who is pure enough of heart to genuinely care about alleviating hunger can find more constructive ways to do so than repeating some meme they saw on the internet so I would dismiss the comment as a feel-good gimmick or an attempt to incite political discord.

And...I do a lot of fishing but never drink beer on the boat until it is tied up to the dock!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:00 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Everytime that car is sold, the government gets sales tax on it ( at least here is Canada ) Every gallon of fuel i buy is chalk full of taxes, my insurance is taxed, i pay licensing fees...etc...

This car is feeding a lot of people already just because i bought it ! At least I am getting some enjoyment out of it. I i had not car, i would be feeding anyone ! Not only GM and its subsiduries!

WE end up paying more in sales tax eventually as that car trades hands that the bloody this is worth !

I am actually glad it's a Carbon dioxide generator ! I will soon be taxed for that... imagine, for contributing a vital gas into the atmosphere that not only improves our climate but makes vital plants grow faster, and these plants provide us with Oxygen! How amazing is that !

Quick Reply: How many people could have been fed for the money that Corvette cost