Sponsored by:

Speculation on used C7 prices this year

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by tom1fastcar
If you want to save big check out offleaseonly.com. They have a pretty good selection and most are automatics. You can usually find something with low mileage and a year or two newer for much less than comparable on the open market.
don't forget to do a carfax. offleaseonly is used car dealer, they buy at auctions.
The following 2 users liked this post by hope2:
batmitestar (02-15-2017), Snowwolfe (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM
batmitestar
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The location is more of a concern for me, as they're apparently in FLA.

I think I can find something within SoCal, AZ, Nevada area, and not have to fly.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by batmitestar
The location is more of a concern for me, as they're apparently in FLA.

I think I can find something within SoCal, AZ, Nevada area, and not have to fly.
Likely SoCal and AZ -- not NV. Nevada is a sports car desert -- few available and those that are here are typically much higher than average price.

I've almost always had to buy Corvettes and other sports/specialty cars from out of state.

The following users liked this post:
batmitestar (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM
batmitestar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Likely SoCal and AZ -- not NV. Nevada is a sports car desert -- few available and those that are here are typically much higher than average price.

I've almost always had to buy Corvettes and other sports/specialty cars from out of state.

Really, If'n I cannot find a suitable used Vette in LA area, I'll head to Phoenix (where we visit frequently anyway) and surely between those two areas, I'll find my ride.

What's the consensus on how many miles are "too many" miles? I plan to keep the car for 5+ years, FWIW, and I will put roughly 5k a year on it.

Are there any known trouble spots with "high" miles on the C7?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4_CE

One thing they clearly weren't thinking about is the demographic of their typical buyer!
I know I'm what you're talking about er I mean I don't know what you're talking about.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:31 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I know I'm what you're talking about er I mean I don't know what you're talking about.

I'm what I'm talking about too. . . or I think I am. What was I talking about?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:02 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by COvert-red
In my very unscientifically-derived opinion, I have a strong impression that the average "boomer" really doesn't negotiate aggressively enough when buying - particularly for an emotionally-driven purchase (Corvette). The main issue: they're in a hurry.
Yes, you might be right. I'm sure the folks at Kerbeck, Criswell, MacMulkin and other dealers that advertise the discount prices all lowered their prices years ago because they just want to be nice to the Baby Boomers. They realized that many boomers don't negotiate, they just shop for the dealer quoting the lowest price and avoid all the hassle, aggravation and just get the best price right from the get go.
Might also want to take into account, the advent of the big box stores came during the prime days of the boomers, not their parents who paid full price at the local little shop or tried to negotiate a lower price after beginning with an inflated price.
I've frequently saved thousands buying a car by shopping and starting with the dealer that BEGINS with the lowest price, saves a lot of time and if I can get another $1K off their low price, so much the better. When they yell Uncle, "if you can find it cheaper at another dealer, buy it" has been said many times. And they're right, I couldn't find it cheaper.
The best one was finding a two year old Toyota Highlander Limited with 42K miles at 50% MSRP. I didn't argue, but I did have to travel over 1000 miles to Detroit from NC.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:50 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I negotiate to a point, but I don't go for the jugular. I was in the car business 25 years ago and I kind of want them to make a LITTLE money. Works for me, I don't think I overpay much, even if I leave $500-$1000 on the table. Happy with the last couple of car deals I made (2007 C6 used two years ago, then the 2017 C7, same dealer). I kind of know what the numbers are when it comes to cars.

You know what? The last thing you will ever care about a year or five up the road is what you paid for the car or how good the deal was. It's more about how positive (or not) the ownership experience was.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
batmitestar (02-15-2017), Skid Row Joe (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

If people had to post a copy of their purchase invoice I think the purchase prices would go up
batmitestar (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 PM
batmitestar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
If people had to post a copy of their purchase invoice I think the purchase prices would go up

In God we trust . . . all others must provide objective evidence!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:45 AM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Yes, you might be right. I'm sure the folks at Kerbeck, Criswell, MacMulkin and other dealers that advertise the discount prices all lowered their prices years ago because they just want to be nice to the Baby Boomers. They realized that many boomers don't negotiate, they just shop for the dealer quoting the lowest price and avoid all the hassle, aggravation and just get the best price right from the get go.
Might also want to take into account, the advent of the big box stores came during the prime days of the boomers, not their parents who paid full price at the local little shop or tried to negotiate a lower price after beginning with an inflated price.
I've frequently saved thousands buying a car by shopping and starting with the dealer that BEGINS with the lowest price, saves a lot of time and if I can get another $1K off their low price, so much the better. When they yell Uncle, "if you can find it cheaper at another dealer, buy it" has been said many times. And they're right, I couldn't find it cheaper.
The best one was finding a two year old Toyota Highlander Limited with 42K miles at 50% MSRP. I didn't argue, but I did have to travel over 1000 miles to Detroit from NC.
I'm right there with you ('56).

The dealers that you mention probably wouldn't represent the average buying experience, nor would those who hawk the market be the average buyer (such as avid Corvette Forum members). The observations I related came from busy dealers who sell the cars in a more traditional retail setting, FWIW.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I hope the average age has dropped that much. I'll do a little research.
Doing my part - I'm 51 and just bought my first Vette, a C7!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

OP, no disrespect meant here. But, a sub $30's C7 in my area is called a C6. Also, in my casual searching I'm not seeing many high mileage C7's (more than 25K miles) around. You know how Corvette owners are, they just don't put a ton of miles on their car. Maybe wait a little longer for the C8 to hit the lots, and you may see a drop in price for the pre-owned C7's. Good luck on your search.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:13 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
OP, no disrespect meant here. But, a sub $30's C7 in my area is called a C6. Also, in my casual searching I'm not seeing many high mileage C7's (more than 25K miles) around. You know how Corvette owners are, they just don't put a ton of miles on their car. Maybe wait a little longer for the C8 to hit the lots, and you may see a drop in price for the pre-owned C7's. Good luck on your search.
The OP posted this over two years ago, I’m sure he’s bought or moved on...
Old 04-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The OP posted this over two years ago, I’m sure he’s bought or moved on...
Damn, I've gotta get new glasses. I looked at the update, and somewhere along the line I lost my old mind. Oh well, senior moment. I'll just enjoy it while I can.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-19-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Damn, I've gotta get new glasses. I looked at the update, and somewhere along the line I lost my old mind. Oh well, senior moment. I'll just enjoy it while I can.
I have found, while scrolling thru a thread. Some how I scroll past the last post of the thread I was reading and into the bottom of the page into "similar post" and end up in a differant 2 year old post.. And yes getting older is not for sissies ,
Rebel Yell (04-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Speculation on used C7 prices this year