Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:51 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default Competition Seats swap

Hey Guys,

I am currently looking for a used C7 and am finding a lot of C7s with Competition seats that also have the other options that I want. This car would be my daily driver and I remember thinking they were a little too snug for my comfort.

Is is possible to do a seat swap with regular seats? I didn't know if the comp. seats required anything special to install over the regular seats.

And is there anyone on here that would want to make that swap with me?

I haven't bought the car yet, but I want to know if I can keep this option open.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I love the comp seats and went out of my way to get them. You may find you grow to like them. On a used Vette, you are probably not paying a ton for them unless you are buying from a Stealership. Any yes, there are tons of people that want to buy/trade for them - just search the BST forum here. But shipping and swapping is a real PITA, not to mention getting the right colors. Finding someone local to you for the swap is a needle in the haystack.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Bolzen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very interested in a swap. I have black 1LZ seats. I'd even drive to Maryland =)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I have black base seats in my 2016 and I would be more than willing to trade and give you some cash to. The problem you will find tho is most of us guys with the base seats don't have heat or cooling.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Bolzen
I would be very interested in a swap. I have black 1LZ seats. I'd even drive to Maryland =)
Originally Posted by Bmwmike
I have black base seats in my 2016 and I would be more than willing to trade and give you some cash to. The problem you will find tho is most of us guys with the base seats don't have heat or cooling.
Oh ya, that would be a problem. I want the 2LT seats that have the adjustments and the cooling/heating.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 02-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I'd swap with you, as I have the heated/vented Napa leather 3LT GT seats... but alas, I'm in Las Vegas
Old 02-11-2017, 02:08 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

^^^ What color do you have?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-11-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

^^^ Jet black w/light gray stitching

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-11-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:18 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

^^^ I don't think I have seen that color combo before. Is it easy to see the stitching? I would have to find a pretty specific interior for that to match.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

^^^ It's a fairly common pattern...the good thing is that the light stitching can be colored easily to match whatever scheme is in place.

Likely won't matter, though, if you are indeed on the east coast... shipping seats is insanely expensive.

Here is a pic of my seat anyway, just for reference:

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2017, 04:51 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I live in Indianapolis, IN now. So not quite that far. If I did a swap, I would prefer a meetup and just swap in person. Is it difficult to remove the seats? I was thinking an hour could unbolt them and them bolt new ones in.

Did you black out the corvette emblems?

Last edited by ~Stingray; 02-11-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Other than the hole in the upper center of the seat back and the lack of holes out at the top of the shoulder locations is there any difference in this seat than the Competition Seat? We know there is no difference in the seat bottom and the few GT seats I have sat in feel the same as my Comp seats so the only difference I see is where the holes are located and seating other than maybe seat foam stiffness is identical in both. Just hoping into a couple of cars and saying one is too tight Vs one not being as tight could be just a difference in how much the side bladders were inflated on each seat.

I have looked at a number of seats and as I said sat in some GT seats and I am pretty sure my conclusion is correct. If either seat feels too tight or too loose on the Torso the first thing to do is to use the buttons on the side of the seat to adjust the bolsters. Even if the side bolsters on the comp seat are a little higher that doesn't make them fit any tighter. More depth doesn't decrease the amount of space between the two bolsters.

Bill
Old 02-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

As someone that is in the process of converting my standard seats over to the competition variety.... I would suggest you drive the car a few weeks with the Comp seats before arranging a swap.

There's a reason why sooooo many are eager to get their hands on your comp seats...
Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Other than the hole in the upper center of the seat back and the lack of holes out at the top of the shoulder locations is there any difference in this seat than the Competition Seat? We know there is no difference in the seat bottom and the few GT seats I have sat in feel the same as my Comp seats so the only difference I see is where the holes are located and seating other than maybe seat foam stiffness is identical in both. Just hoping into a couple of cars and saying one is too tight Vs one not being as tight could be just a difference in how much the side bladders were inflated on each seat.

I have looked at a number of seats and as I said sat in some GT seats and I am pretty sure my conclusion is correct. If either seat feels too tight or too loose on the Torso the first thing to do is to use the buttons on the side of the seat to adjust the bolsters. Even if the side bolsters on the comp seat are a little higher that doesn't make them fit any tighter. More depth doesn't decrease the amount of space between the two bolsters.

Bill
Comp Seat bottoms are different than Touring seats. The thigh bolsters sit slightly higher.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Elite '14
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You have a pm.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Hey Bill,

Since when can you adjust the bolsters? I didn't know that was possible. Is that on the back of the seat or bottom too? Is that a certain package like 3LT?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:42 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

1LT Comp (and GT seats) do not have adjustable side bolsters in the seatback.

Get notified of new replies

To Competition Seats swap

Old 02-12-2017, 03:14 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Just so happens...

......I bought a used '14 with Alcantara and Comp Seats, thought I would love the seats BUT (6'2", 215 lbs) the bolsters began digging into my ribs/lats. I then shopped around for someone who might be interested in a swap and found out:

a. It would work, base is the same and side airbags are in the same spot on the outside BUT

b. I was told by the dealership mechanic there would be liability concerns and would void the warranty

Now this is just one anecdote but it was enough to stop me; eventually sold it for another (and final) buy of my current and last Vette to buy (with standard seats)

Good luck, hope I'm wrong.

PS These were both '14 1lt cars

Last edited by dbirdhouse1; 02-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hey Bill,

Since when can you adjust the bolsters? I didn't know that was possible. Is that on the back of the seat or bottom too? Is that a certain package like 3LT?
Both side bolsters and seat back are adjustable in my '14 2LT Z51 w/ GT seats.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hey Bill,

I have lumbar support and lateral support in the side bolsters. When I am on track I inflate the side bolsters to max to help hold my upper body in place.

Bill

Quick Reply: Competition Seats swap