Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the M7 Vette home today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Congrats on the car, glad you got the manual!
The following users liked this post:
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 PM
birdsong
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

It's a beauty! Congrats!
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Excellent choice, congrats!
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Nice ride and congrats!

For washing, here is what I do:

I use a microfiber mitt and a microfiber sponge simultaneously. I also have a soft sponge I keep handy as well. Each panel gets two "washes". Spray-wash-spray-wash. Work from the top-down.

Use the two bucket method. So I have a "clean" bucket and a "dirty" bucket. Clean bucket has the car shampoo + water and the dirty bucket is about half filled with just water. Start with everything in the clean bucket. Spray whole car then wash with microfiber sponge one panel and then toss sponge in "dirty" bucket and rinse panel. Wash panel again with second clean microfiber mitt, toss in dirty bucket. Rinse panel. Then rinse out both mitts/sponges well in dirty bucket, spray off and place back in clean bucket. Do not "scrub" the paint, as this has the chance to introduce swirl marks. Just enough pressure to remove the dirt/grime. Lots and lots of suds for lubrication.

Wash wheels/tires with completely separate sponge, that is set aside and not placed on the paint. Brake dust + rubbing + paint don't mix. Don't wash in direct sunlight, or it will dry quickly with waterspots. Find a spot in the shade to give yourself time to dry it. If you have a masterblaster (high tech leaf blower mechanism), then this is the best way to dry, as the less times you touch the paint the better. I then do a final "dry" wipe using a good detail spray and a clean microfiber towel. The detail spray adds a degree of lubrication to the drying process.

If you don't have a master blaster or similar device, then use a waffle weave towel like found here to dry: http://www.autogeek.net/guzzler-microfiber-combo.html

Again, do not rub the paint. Simply lay the towel on the paint and let it "suck" up the water, then lightly move it across the section "collecting" the water.

The biggest things are: 1) DO NOT RUB YOUR PAINT. 2) USE TWO BUCKETS, DIRTY AND CLEAN. 3) DO NOT USE BEACH TOWELS 4) DO NOT RUB YOUR PAINT. 5) DO NOT WASH YOUR CAR WITH THE SAME SPONGES YOU USED TO WASH THE WHEELS.

Everyone here, including me, will swear that whatever product they use is the best. Nevermind getting 50 recommendations from 50 people with 50 different opinions. All you need is a good, basic start-up kit that gives you the essentials to wash, dry and detail your car. A package like this will work just fine: http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-was...gift-pack.html

Last edited by Mordeth; 02-21-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Outlaw Joe
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

where in Iowa did you get your Corvette ?

Last edited by Outlaw Joe; 02-22-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Kelsvet
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw Joe
where in Iowa did you get your Corvette ?
We got it from Vaughn Automotive in Ottumwa.
Outlaw Joe (03-07-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 AM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Nice color! May you enjoy it for many years to come!
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Good Luck and have Fun. At least your reading the Owners Manual, better than many.
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations, I am excited for you. Good Luck and my vet looks good to me even when its dirty.
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 AM
dstizz
Heel & Toe

Received 110 Likes on 9 Posts

Best of luck with it! Great choice - love the M7 and LBR!
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Mmontgomery12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great color!! I love the chemical guys products.....They are an amazing product for the price!
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Playboy2
Congrats on your new baby and for going with M7. I always hand wash and follow GlenE's detail methods. They work great at getting the car clean and shiny. I would recommend using a sealer like Black fire Crystal sealer ( auto geek sells it) sealer will last longer and protect better than most wax, and much easier to apply. It is self leveling so basically you apply it and that's it, no wiping off. A little goes a long way with stuff. Good luck and enjoy.

Be sure to use a high quality wash mit, pad, or what ever. I also spend a few extra $$$ on high quality microfiber cloths, NOT the cheap ones you can get in bulk. I used Black Fire Polish and Seal, followed by Black Fire Crystal Sealer. Lasts WAY longer than waxing, and MUCH easier to apply.

In addition to Auto Geek, I like Adams Polishes products. I have several of their good microfiber towels, their waffle drying cloth, and I use their "Detail Spray" as the daily wipe down after a ride.

Congrats on the new Vette !!!
Kelsvet (02-22-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Dr Man
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsvet
My husband and I left for Iowa yesterday and made it back today with our first, but certainly not last vette. I didn't even stall it once. Read lots in the manuals, there are so many warnings. It's very dirty now, how do you guys wash them? There were so many warnings in the owners manual that I feel like it can only be gently scrubbed with angel wings and holy water.

So products and recommendations? We just drove the Camaro through the car wash we realize we can't do that anymore.

PS. Thanks to everyone who voted on the 2016 manual shift, it's ahmazing! Of course it's the highest octane money can buy!!
Congrats, it's very nice, where in Iowa did you get it, out of curiosity?
Kelsvet (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:37 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Congratulation on car. I hope to be able to post soon about me driving my new GS home . Check out the auto care section a lot of great info on detailing. I use Blackfire products from autogeek , Very happy with products soap, clay bar, wax, sealers . Been using Blackfire for along time. Enjoy the corvette.
Kelsvet (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:50 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Hey Kelsvet, Have you tried downshifting with the NPP exhaust in Sport mode? Listening to that badboy backing off, then nailing the throttle to accelerate with the NPP wide open is just great! Then you get to watch all the jealous dads in their SUVs staring at you while not paying attention to their jabbering kids. Love it!
Congrats on the new ride. Love the color, M7 Rules!
Kelsvet (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Kelsvet
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Hey Kelsvet, Have you tried downshifting with the NPP exhaust in Sport mode? Listening to that badboy backing off, then nailing the throttle to accelerate with the NPP wide open is just great! Then you get to watch all the jealous dads in their SUVs staring at you while not paying attention to their jabbering kids. Love it!
Congrats on the new ride. Love the color, M7 Rules!
Yes, I turn on rev matching the moment I get in the car. I have it in tour mode, but I changed the exhaust to always be in sport mode. The downshift rev makes me smile.

Thanks for the congrats, I took it out today to rinse off the mud from the ride home, it was only 42 degrees here and raining, but I needed to get the dirt off. It was still fun, even though I was trying to take it easy. Can't wait for the nice weather!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Kelsvet
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr Man
Congrats, it's very nice, where in Iowa did you get it, out of curiosity?
I got it from Vaughn Automotive in Iowa.

Get notified of new replies

To Got the M7 Vette home today!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsvet
Thanks, also that's a great signature, my husband kept laughing cause I kept turning around to stare at the car as we walked away.
Ok. You definitely are infected with the sports car disease, it typically only affects males, but in rare special cases.... the occasional female. Sorry to break it to you and you husband, but there is no cure, it's a life long affliction😉

I don't think I have ever heard a female admit to doing this... usually just make fun of the guys.

Welcome to the Corvette Forum!
Kelsvet (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Congrats on the new Vette! I am sure both you and you husband will love it!
Kelsvet (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Kelsvet
Advanced

Originally Posted by Niemienator
Ok. You definitely are infected with the sports car disease, it typically only affects males, but in rare special cases.... the occasional female. Sorry to break it to you and you husband, but there is no cure, it's a life long affliction😉

I don't think I have ever heard a female admit to doing this... usually just make fun of the guys.

Welcome to the Corvette Forum!
haha, thanks. My husband wasn't initially interested in the Corvette, but I signed up for the emails when they talked about launching the new C7. The day it launched and I saw pictures I knew I had to have one, and then I convinced him as well. It's technically my toy, he has a motorcycle, but as in all marriages, it's really both of ours.

I am glad there is no cure, I don't want one!
I got my chemical guys stuff in today, and I bought my first addition, little Stingray valve stems, mine are green plastic, and that is not okay!

Quick Reply: Got the M7 Vette home today!