Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 PM
Skyhawk27
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have Liberty Mutual on all my vehicles and houses. Lowest rate I have found, and excellent service. I have been with them 18 years.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 PM
t4bz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd recommend an insurance broker. This just means they are not affiliated with a particular company so they can shop around for you. When you get older the increase creep tends to reverse :-) I just traded a 2012 Camaro SS for my 2016 2LT and my insurance actually went down.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:05 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The collector car insurance companies will always be the lowest if you're amicable with the more restrictive terms. Below is from a well known company.

Collector Car Insurance does not mean Classic Car Insurance, and the majority of the cars we insure are newer Corvettes, 1997-current. There are limitations on usage to qualify for Collector Car Insurance – cars cannot be used for daily use such as going to the grocery store, mall, Dr’s office, golf course, etc. If you use your Corvette or any other collector car for the occasional pleasure trip, club events, car shows, parades then you may qualify. We have several mileage options to choose from as well from 1K, 3K and 6K miles.
Agreed... Hagerty now does both but came from the roots of Classic Cars and has evolved broader to include newer "special" vehicles like ours. What I like about the Hagerty coverage:

* They asked me how many miles per year but did not restrict me, and more (3K - 12K) was NOT a big bump... can't vouch for the "daily driver" cost since that was not my situation.
* ZERO deductible on everything in their quote, including uninsured and underinsured coverage, windshield, etc.
* Declared replacement value (you set, within reason) vs. usual insurance company "replacement value"..... I review every year for my older cars!!
* The biggie for me..... no hassle claims....you choose repair shop, OEM parts and literally they send you an initial check for the quote and, if additional work is found to be needed, mo money!!

My '63 had a windshield replaced (dated glass, stainless surrounds, whole nine yards). Took it to a known quality NCRS shop.... not cheap!! Bill was about $4K all done.... not a problem or increase in premium.

I am sure lots of more specialized insurers like NCM are good choices but not everyone thinks to get quotes from "Classic Car" firms.... Hagerty has a great reputation with me and I just wanted to share some specifics why.....

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-25-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
Agreed... Hagerty now does both but came from the roots of Classic Cars and has evolved broader to include newer "special" vehicles like ours. What I like about the Hagerty coverage:

* They asked me how many miles per year but did not restrict me, and more (3K - 12K) was NOT a big bump... can't vouch for the "daily driver" cost since that was not my situation.
* ZERO deductible on everything in their quote, including uninsured and underinsured coverage, windshield, etc.
* Declared replacement value (you set, within reason) vs. usual insurance company "replacement value"..... I review every year for my older cars!!
* The biggie for me..... no hassle claims....you choose repair shop, OEM parts and literally they send you an initial check for the quote and, if additional work is found to be needed, mo money!!

My '63 had a windshield replaced (dated glass, stainless surrounds, whole nine yards). Took it to a known quality NCRS shop.... not cheap!! Bill was about $4K all done.... not a problem or increase in premium.

I am sure lots of more specialized insurers like NCM are good choices but not everyone thinks to get quotes from "Classic Car" firms.... Hagerty has a great reputation with me and I just wanted to share some specifics why.....
lmao.

I just called them for a good laugh. Same policy limits as NCM But 750 deductible (because she was afraid to tell me about the Zero). 2260/yr....

my NCM policy with 250 deductible is 1102/yr

that was amusing.

nice thing was from my phone number they knew all about me, I had a pic with them back in the day for an 89 GTA I bought and restored. Man that was a nice car..should've nevery sold it. Haven't seen one as clean since!

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 03-25-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 AM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

the only problem I have is NCM or Hagerty - both require a garage - I have a large carport

wish I could use them
Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
lmao.

I just called them for a good laugh. Same policy limits as NCM But 750 deductible (because she was afraid to tell me about the Zero). 2260/yr....

my NCM policy with 250 deductible is 1102/yr

that was amusing.

nice thing was from my phone number they knew all about me, I had a pic with them back in the day for an 89 GTA I bought and restored. Man that was a nice car..should've nevery sold it. Haven't seen one as clean since!
Well, I am baffled to say the least. I posted earlier that MY Hagerty quote on a C7 with $60K value, $0 deductible etc. was < $1K/year.... got several quotes via e-mail from them on different options (miles, Stingray vs. Z51) so not just a telephone conversation. No conflict with NCM since I hear they are great to deal with also... for cars like ours!!

I guess insurance quotes.....are like EPA figures, results may vary.....smile.

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-25-2017 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JRYELLOWCORVETTE (04-14-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

I guess insurance quotes.....are like EPA figures, results may vary.....smile.
Z06 is a nice little insurance up charge my friend. Learned that the hard way.

for a new C7 Z51 sticker 74k vs my 96.9k Z06 from NCM was like 550 vs 850 (1000 mi threshold at the time being new I figured I would up it when time came which I have). More than 50% more. "EXOTIC" was the word used several times. Said funny doesn't feel "exotic" To me.

she started with "its not a Z06 is it?" I thought to myself "here we go......" and I was right lol

having said that all things almost equal travelers was close to NCM but higher deductible comparison and no mileage limit (which wouldnt affect me, it's a toy).
Old 03-25-2017, 04:49 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Z06 is a nice little insurance up charge my friend. Learned that the hard way.

for a new C7 Z51 sticker 74k vs my 96.9k Z06 from NCM was like 550 vs 850 (1000 mi threshold at the time being new I figured I would up it when time came which I have). More than 50% more. "EXOTIC" was the word used several times. Said funny doesn't feel "exotic" To me.

she started with "its not a Z06 is it?" I thought to myself "here we go......" and I was right lol

having said that all things almost equal travelers was close to NCM but higher deductible comparison and no mileage limit (which wouldnt affect me, it's a toy).
Sorry C7Z... missed any direct mention of Z06....subtle user name...I am just getting into C7 Land....smile.

That 'splains it sure enough...LOL. They asked me too if it was gonna be a Z06.....I was concerned that the Z51 would also be a bigger upcharge.... saw some posts that it was "double" for them.... only a small bump with Haggerty and NCM thankfully...

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-25-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Try this....

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Cl...Newer-Vehicles

PS Just tried it and it worked for me.....
Cool, that one worked - thanks!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:56 PM
Skyhawk27
Intermediate

Default Just got Quote

Try this....

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Cl...Newer-Vehicles

PS Just tried it and it worked for me.....
I tried the link and got a quote for $1,976.00 per year on 2017 GS
I will call my insurance company on Monday and see how they compare.
My current insurance is with Liberty Mutual.
Thanks for the link.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,460 Likes on 14,058 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm with Safeco for my DDs and with the NCM for my Vette. Been pleased with both so far.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

My State Farm rates just went up as well so I called and the reason given is that Alabama had a significant increase in accident pay outs due to distracted driving. Even cost more than drunk drivers for the first time.

Have a look at this teen distracted driving video that AAA put together:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:35 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by felkebg
My State Farm rates just went up as well so I called and the reason given is that Alabama had a significant increase in accident pay outs due to distracted driving. Even cost more than drunk drivers for the first time.

https://youtu.be/cs0iwz3NEC0
When I was a kid I dug cars, girls and sports, not necessarily in that order. TODAY kids live on "Social Media" and have mostly lost interest in cars and the opposite sex.... not to mention our music vs. theirs.....smile

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-27-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,566 Likes on 532 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by felkebg

https://youtu.be/cs0iwz3NEC0
The guy at 1:01 is a bo$$, he still uses a flip phone!
Old 03-27-2017, 03:30 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

I've been with the same Allstate agent in North Central NJ for more than a decade. I insure three cars and my home with her. She explained "rate creep" several years ago, even going as far to explain why it's good for some drivers to change companies every five or six years, especially when those discounts and incentives begin to dry up. I've had a couple of claims, parking lot stuff, no problems whatsoever. We joke, if I stayed out of parking lots... She told me how to get a lower rate on a Corvette. ( No "Z's" or rag tops) Moving from a C class Mercedes my rate went down. I've had State Farm and a few others...I'm quite satisfied with Allstate.

I'm in "Good Hands!"
Old 03-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Fasteners201
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Make sure to get "Stated Value" for collision. Use your sticker value and if the car is totaled they pay you your stated value. This additional coverage is only $80.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:38 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Since I drive my Corvette less than 6k miles per year I pay less a month than my 2015 Honda Fit or my 2013 Honda Odyssey. State Farm and I have not had an accident or ticket in about 15 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance

Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Skyhawk27
Intermediate

Default Insurance Comparisons

I compared three insurance companies with a quote on my 2017 Grand Sport.
Hagerty was $1,976.00
Liberty Mutual was $909.75
National Corvette Museum was $835.00
All good companies, but what a spread in prices.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:46 AM
candys
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Something to think about. I buy insurance for when I need it, not to get the best rate. I'm probably paying more than some companies would charge, but I've heard all the horror stories with Progressive and Allstate here on these forums from fellow Corvette owners. Geico seems to get mostly positive reviews but not everyone is satisfied with them. New Jersey Manufacturers was excellent when I lived in NJ, but they won't insure you when you leave the state.
completely agree. I had Allstate in past but when I moved to California I found https://www.mis-insurance.com/auto-insurance/ with rates as low as $19/month. They provide property, liability and medical coverage and work with 78 companies. Anyway I don't have any regrets, I think it's great price.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:10 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Black
I can tell you I've been with Geico for a few years now and from my experience of needing two cars repaired they have been great to me. They repaired and replaced the parts with oem only and through the shop I chose without any questions.

To the original poster, I used to have State Farm and they skyrocketed over the years making me switch to Allstate which increased steadily over the years. I decided to do an online quote with Geico and my premium was cut by at least 30% for 4 vehicles. I'm quite happy with them unless they suddenly jack up my rates. Good luck with your search.
We have both our vehicles insured by Geico, located in MA. Under $1200 for both, full coverage on everything. 2016 Stingray Z51 convertible, 2017 Jeep GC Overland/Hemi.

Quick Reply: Insurance