C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture in headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 PM
richpz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moisture in headlight lens

I noticed that moisture has entered and dried in the headlight lens' leaving a discoloration on the lens. I first noticed the moisture as a fog when I left the warm garage and drove on a colder morning. Are the lens supposed to be sealed? Can the lens be removed for cleaning?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lenses are sealed and moisture isn't supposed to form in headlight. Have it replaced under warranty. It should be no issue at all.....
Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

not all headlight assemblies are sealed, i haven't seen the C7 off the car so Papas may be correct, but while the lens is always sealed, many are vented on the back wall.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 PM
richpz
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
not all headlight assemblies are sealed, i haven't seen the C7 off the car so Papas may be correct, but while the lens is always sealed, many are vented on the back wall.
Thanks fellows, I believe a trip to the dealer is in order.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:26 PM
richpz
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Papas02C5
Lenses are sealed and moisture isn't supposed to form in headlight. Have it replaced under warranty. It should be no issue at all.....
Thanks, I will be heading to the dealer to check this out and let you know what the outcome is.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 AM
richpz
Heel & Toe

Finally got a reply from the dealer. There is a GM bulletin on this. The headlights are vented and they say it is "normal" for condensation to form and to drive with the headlights on for a while when starting out. There is no way to clean the condensation marks onside the lens. If this is normal I wonder if it was in the design specs? This is also a problem with the C6.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default after warranty expires

Originally Posted by richpz
Finally got a reply from the dealer. There is a GM bulletin on this. The headlights are vented and they say it is "normal" for condensation to form and to drive with the headlights on for a while when starting out. There is no way to clean the condensation marks onside the lens. If this is normal I wonder if it was in the design specs? This is also a problem with the C6.
they'll be glad to fix it for you
Old 11-02-2014, 12:31 AM
WVB4NC
Heel & Toe

I had the same issue here on a C7. Both modules had residue in them after moisture dried. They were replaced today at dealer. I was not advised of a bulletin as stated above.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:49 PM
richpz
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

I'll return to the dealer to request a replacement again. Did your dealer give any advice as to preventing a recurrence?

Originally Posted by WVB4NC
I had the same issue here on a C7. Both modules had residue in them after moisture dried. They were replaced today at dealer. I was not advised of a bulletin as stated above.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 PM
WVB4NC
Heel & Toe

I'll return to the dealer to request a replacement again. Did your dealer give any advice as to preventing a recurrence?
They did not provide any information. I would think burning headlights might help evaporation. My issue was the residue after drying.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Eagle3sh
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen cars go thru the water test at the factory and get pulled back after water gets into the lens area. They are changed out and send back thru the water test.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Yukonboy03
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
they'll be glad to fix it for you
my dealer wasn't, he pulled some bulletin from a previous year model truck stating that at a specific "dew point" condensation is supposed to form. And that they are "vented for this reason"

does this sound like BS?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Let me preface this by saying i have not replaced bulbs in my C7 or C6 but isnt there a hole behind the lense enclosure where you insert new bulbs? On my other vehicles this how they are designed. If so then atmosphere would enter the enclosure and depending on the ambient temp and humidity condensation would form. Therefore, I think they have to be vented.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:57 AM
richpz
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Yukonboy03
my dealer wasn't, he pulled some bulletin from a previous year model truck stating that at a specific "dew point" condensation is supposed to form. And that they are "vented for this reason"

does this sound like BS?
My dealer said there was a C7 bulletin. I've see many C6 and C7 cars with this same problem. The resolution to me was that the district manager gave me an extended 5 year warranty in case the residue inside the lens got worse and it needed to be replaced. Evidently a Chevy representative monitors this forum as he contacted me and offered to get involved to have the car evaluated at another dealer. When I told my dealer that they contacted the district manager.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:09 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

My car has done this from Day one... It all depends on the environment... I have been driving in some significant weather changes and when coming in from very cold to a nice warm garage this occasionally has happened... and no residual affects...
Old 03-13-2017, 03:26 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I picked up my new 2015 Z51, there was something inside both lights that looked like something had dried inside. Anyway, they replaced both lights and couple months later I found dried water marks inside and they replaced them again. Of course, they said I was too picky but I didn't care and they said that they get paid big bucks to do warranty work, so it doesn't matter what they replace. But they had to take pics and send them off to get approved. It comes down to poor quality or poor workmanship.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 PM
1Bridog
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Default bulb replacement

I have had both headlight bulbs replaced at its not cheap...the dealer must remove the bumper to access the headlamp..its not just a bulb replace. ($595 each time)

let alone the water drops inside...living with it. My car was past the warranty period.

Originally Posted by Mrc100
Let me preface this by saying i have not replaced bulbs in my C7 or C6 but isnt there a hole behind the lense enclosure where you insert new bulbs? On my other vehicles this how they are designed. If so then atmosphere would enter the enclosure and depending on the ambient temp and humidity condensation would form. Therefore, I think they have to be vented.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Is there any way to get into the headlight assembly without removing the bumper?

I fixed a moisture issue in another car of mine by zip tying a bag of silica gel inside the headlight assembly (away from direct contact with any hot bulbs). Worked a charm and I haven't had any moisture in the headlight for about a year now.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Yukonboy03
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer said there was a C7 bulletin. I've see many C6 and C7 cars with this same problem. The resolution to me was that the district manager gave me an extended 5 year warranty in case the residue inside the lens got worse and it needed to be replaced. Evidently a Chevy representative monitors this forum as he contacted me and offered to get involved to have the car evaluated at another dealer. When I told my dealer that they contacted the district manager.
Can you share the username of the Chevy Representative that messaged you?

Get notified of new replies

To Moisture in headlight lens

Quick Reply: Moisture in headlight lens