C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ProCharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 PM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another ProCharger Install

Below are some pics from what I've done so far and I'll post more as I go along, I only put about 3 or 4 hours a day into it, but I should be finished up by this Saturday night! For some background it's a 3LT, non Z51, M7.

Only the fuel rail covers removed.

Most of the inlet piping removed

All the pieces removed before you lift the car.

Sooooo many pieces!

The back up, just in case jack stands.

Lifted and front wheels removed.

Front fascia removed (PITA!).

The bone-yard grows!

Dis-assembly complete!

I'm using the can tune, I sent it off to ProCharger and got it back within hours, plus I asked if they could remove the 1st to 4th skip shift and they did! I changed the spark plugs to the recommended NGK 6510, that took a solid 4 hours plus a little bit of blood sacrifice from my knuckles. More pics and progress to follow.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Give us more details and pics. Did you get the OEM or race style intake? Vertical or horizontal intercooler?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 PM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same last week on my non Z51 also. I went with oem style intake and vertical cooler. Using their tune also. Simply awesome the power!
The following users liked this post:
blown81bu (02-11-2016)
Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 PM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't changed to the cooler plugs yet. Why did it take you so long? Hard reach I assume?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:06 PM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkr1966
I haven't changed to the cooler plugs yet. Why did it take you so long? Hard reach I assume?
The passenger side was very difficult to reach and took about 3 hours, I dropped a plug and it fell into a hole in the frame, so that took about an hour to fish out. The driver's side only took about 30 minutes, and about 15 minutes to get the required covers off.

Originally Posted by mkr1966
I did the same last week on my non Z51 also. I went with oem style intake and vertical cooler. Using their tune also. Simply awesome the power!
Awesome! I can't wait.

Originally Posted by Translator
Give us more details and pics. Did you get the OEM or race style intake? Vertical or horizontal intercooler?
More pics to come! I did the stage 2(race) inlet, for no other reason than I like how it looks. Horizontal intercooler, it will see way more time on the road course than it will on the strip, thanks for the questions.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-11-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (middle icon) in the right hand corner of each post.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgersphc
The passenger side was very difficult to reach and took about 3 hours, I dropped a plug and it fell into a hole in the frame, so that took about an hour to fish out. The driver's side only took about 30 minutes, and about 15 minutes to get the required covers off.
You should have done LT's while you where there!

More pics to come! I did the stage 2(race) inlet, for no other reason than I like how it looks. Vertical intercooler, it will see way more time on the road course than it will on the strip, thanks for the questions.
I thought the Horizontal was recommended for road courses?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 AM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
You should have done LT's while you where there!

I thought the Horizontal was recommended for road courses?
You're right, I had a brain fart, I'm installing the horizontal, nice catch. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, LT?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

You're right, I had a brain fart, I'm installing the horizontal, nice catch. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, LT?
LT = Long Tube headers
Old 10-17-2014, 02:20 PM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Originally Posted by FYREANT
LT = Long Tube headers
Thanks!

So in the process of disassembling I noticed that the center deflector doesn't appear to have ever been installed along with the hardware that would have held it on. Here is a car with it.

The missing piece plus the 4 missing fasteners.

Now when I was removing the front fascia I had a hell of a time getting these clips to pop out of it so I could remove it. After an hour of trying to pull straight up and laterally away from the car, I was starting to get worried about breaking it. So I pulled the front fascia up enough to be able to get to the screws that held the clip to the fender to try and loosen them.

Holes for clips on the front fascia.

The clips for the holes on the front fender.

This picture shows the view you'll have if you try and loosen them, you'll need a skinny screwdriver to get all the in there, I used a 7mm nut driver. I hope this helps someone, it took me a while to figure it out. Seems like most people could just pop theirs out of the clips pretty easily, I had trouble for some reason.

Zoomed out shot of the above.

Back to the missing central deflector, I contacted the local dealer and was told I should have spotted that upon delivery, and it would not be covered under the warranty, I suppressed the urge to flip the desk over and calmly walked to the parts department to be told it would be $150 before tax to get the deflector and fasteners. So I contacted the original salesman that sold me the car to give him the chance to make things right, I'm waiting on a return phone call. If that option fails I'll be getting a hold of Chevy directly, $65,000 cars shouldn't have missing pieces. Anyone else with have this problem?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-11-2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (middle icon) in the right hand corner of each post.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:06 PM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Back to the missing central deflector, I contacted the local dealer and was told I should have spotted that upon delivery, and it would not be covered under the warranty, I suppressed the urge to flip the desk over and calmly walked to the parts department to be told it would be $150 before tax to get the deflector and fasteners. So I contacted the original salesman that sold me the car to give him the chance to make things right, I'm waiting on a return phone call. If that option fails I'll be getting a hold of Chevy directly, $65,000 cars shouldn't have missing pieces. Anyone else with have this problem?
So we are supposed to crawl under our cars at delivery to make sure we are not missing any pieces? Wow! Your dealer is a winner.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Originally Posted by RottenII
So we are supposed to crawl under our cars at delivery to make sure we are not missing any pieces? Wow! Your dealer is a winner.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:11 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The passenger side was very difficult to reach and took about 3 hours
Wow.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

These C7's are great fun with the blower kits! Nice work!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-18-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RottenII
Contact GM directly, they will get you the parts. Maybe you secretly have a z51?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 PM
dodgersphc
Advanced

So I finished it up last night! Pretty uneventful, a couple of tips are listed below:

Install the silicone 90 degree tube on the throttle body before the supercharger, it doesn't need to be in a precise position yet, it's just easier to get it on when you have a straight on shot.

Install the MAF onto the pipe before you install it into the car, if you install everything first and that tube is just a little out of alignment you wont be able to slide the MAF in.

I labeled ziploc bags with the page number and step number and then put the appropriate screws/bolts into them, seems simple, it just worked really well!

Last edited by dodgersphc; 10-19-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 PM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Oh and have a bag of zip ties ready, the kit comes with about 6 of them, I used at least 15.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Great job. I love the whistle Did you get straight cut or helical gears on the blower?

Get notified of new replies

To Another ProCharger Install

Old 10-19-2014, 10:57 PM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Translator
Great job. I love the whistle Did you get straight cut or helical gears on the blower?
Straight cut! I like the noise.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Straight cut! I like the noise.

I'd like to hear a video of it. I got Helical gears because I didn't want to sound like a mustang.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I think it would be awesome for you both to put up videos so we can all hear the difference!

Quick Reply: Another ProCharger Install