C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
Every post has pretty much said the exact same thing.
(As well as our blogs, etc)

The only reason we have found to use the horizontal intercooler, is if a person is planning on using the car on a road race course. (not the road, but an actually track day event, such as a time attack)

Competitors of ours, and people in this forum seemed to argue that for some reason. However now over a year later with hundreds of systems out there (mostly Vertical) we have yet to have a single complaint about engine overheating, or any issues at all actually.

That being said. Do not feel that you made the wrong choice, since we spent a great deal of time perfecting that Horizontal unit to maximize its effectiveness with the lower scoops.

So much so, that we often sell just the scoops to customers running our competitors products that have horizontal intercoolers.
Good to hear. I had the hardest time selecting which IC to go with when I did the install a few months back. Think I'm in a good position with what I have. Few quarter mile races and planning HPDE this summer. The horizontal shall do me just perfectly.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:13 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
Good to hear. I had the hardest time selecting which IC to go with when I did the install a few months back. Think I'm in a good position with what I have. Few quarter mile races and planning HPDE this summer. The horizontal shall do me just perfectly.
Like I tell my wife... Overthinking sometimes makes everything go to crap lol
Old 03-01-2015, 10:05 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Nice work. Great to see real world testing, and honest feedback. Two questions for you:

1. Did you see any IAT differences between the race inlet and factory inlet? I would like to go with the race inlet if the IAT's are similar...

2. The factory uses the hood vent to add some additional down force. That is probably helpful if you are running over 100 MPH on a road course, but I think little or no value for us street guys. What do you think about removing the shroud and open up the hood vent to allow some under the hood heat to escape? Seems like anything to lower temps is going to helpful...
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 AM
vinnie12345
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Very high ECT's

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
We have sold C7 systems with vertical intercoolers to literally nearly state in this fine country. Including your state AZ. We have yet to have one single complaint about overheating, or IAT issues with them.

Considering the amount of time it takes on the track to even get the ECT's to start to rise, one would have to think the "overheating" of C7s was a little over hyped. (on a 90 degree day, it took 3.5miles of WOT on the road course, to get the ECTs to start to climb)

The way the forum talked about overheating in the beginning made it sound like it couldn't make it to the end of a 1/4mile without issues. Or that just driving in traffic with the A/C is on would be a problem.

However as stated, thats just not the case. We have had literally ZERO complaints of any issues with the vertical intercooler, even in hot climates. (No ECT issues, no IAT issues, no AC issues)

I can personally vouch for driving out C7 on the hottest day we had this year in Kansas City (99 degrees in July) , sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the AC on, and literally no issues what so ever. (Other then bordem)

A customer can do what they want, and pick what they want.
No worries with that at all.

However at this time, since there has been ZERO complaints, I can't see any reason other then road racing for the Horizontal. (Or just because a person preference)

PS: I am talking about in regards to the stock system, on a stock car.
Although I know that "Stangkilr" has had his Vertical intercooler quipped 800+ rwhp C7 down in the TX heat, and reported no issues either.

I had a C6 with the Procharger out here in Las Vegas and constantly had heat issues! Anytime the temp was above 110 my car would climb over 240 degrees and the AC would shut down. We even did the "Big Baller" mod moving out the inter cooler to get more air to the radiator and engine compartment. Nothing helped!
Now with my new C7 arriving in a couple weeks I'm looking for a forced induction system but very reluctant to use Procharger again. Thinking of going with rear mount TT to keep heat out of engine compartment.
Thoughts???? Thx
Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 AM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
Nice work. Great to see real world testing, and honest feedback. Two questions for you:

1. Did you see any IAT differences between the race inlet and factory inlet? I would like to go with the race inlet if the IAT's are similar...
IAT's are identical actually.
The Race intercooler picks up a little power, because it doesn't draw through the restrictive air box. (however you can consider the airbox almost like the "restrictor" plate that our competitors run)

2. The factory uses the hood vent to add some additional down force. That is probably helpful if you are running over 100 MPH on a road course, but I think little or no value for us street guys. What do you think about removing the shroud and open up the hood vent to allow some under the hood heat to escape? Seems like anything to lower temps is going to helpful...
Even just going few MPH down the road, its pretty amazing the amount of air that comes out of that vent. (or on a dyno with a little fan in front of the car)

We have never removed it, GM put it there for a reason, thus we are leaving it alone.

Originally Posted by vinnie12345
I had a C6 with the Procharger out here in Las Vegas and constantly had heat issues!
Now with my new C7 arriving in a couple weeks I'm looking for a forced induction system but very reluctant to use Procharger again. Thinking of going with rear mount TT to keep heat out of engine compartment.
Thoughts???? Thx
Pretty much every FI C6 in your area could have temp issues, due to the nature of the car, fan controller issues from GM, etc. Thankfully the C7 is NOT the C6 and has drastic improvements in dealing with heat.

The ProCharger C7 system, with the Horizontal intercooler will be right up your ally, so you don't have to worry about anything, due to nothing being changed in the cooling system, and nothing being blocked.

Quick Reply: 100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)