C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)

OK, this is going to be a LONG post, but is well worth the read to understand the amount of work that went into making sure that not only does the ProCharger vertical intercooler out perform any air to air currently offered, but also to ensure the horizontal was nearly identically matched, and had NO draw backs what so ever.

We thought we would do a more "technical" blog than usual, and offer some insight into the testing that goes into intercooler development. Here we'll illustrate how we use "real world" data to evaluate how the aerodynamics of a vehicle's body affect the performance of an air-to-air intercooler.

In previous C7 Corvette blogs we talked about core design and track testing, so this time we're going to focus more on what "track testing" means, and how different versions of the intercooler are evaluated.

When ProCharger began R&D for the C7 Stingray supercharger system, we determined that a "one-size-fits-all" approach to the intercooler was not an ideal solution. Lets be honest, the Corvette is not a "one-size-fits-all" performance vehicle, given the variety of racing mediums customers use them in. To ensure a customer has the ultimate air-to-air intercooler for their needs, two versions of the intercooler system was created (Vertical and Horizontal.) Customers using their C7's for 1/4 mile drag racing or standing mile racing, can benefit from our outstanding vertical intercoolers advantages. And those using their cars on a road course application, will prefer our horizontal intercooler, that allows maximum engine cooling for long durations.

So lets dive into what steps were taken to ensure both of these ProCharger air-to-air intercoolers for the C7 were the undisputed industry leader.

LOCATION: First and foremost we knew it would take both a road course and drag strip to collect the data we needed for proper evaluation. The Heartland Park racetrack is located close to the ProCharger facility and offers up not only a world-class road course, but also an NHRA drag strip. This allows us to test the same car on both tracks, on the same day, with the same weather and conditions (thus eliminating changing variables that could otherwise skew the performance data).

(Full Complex Arial View)

(Road Course Layout, used for Testing)

Click on this video below, and use the MAP above, and you can see that we used this track layout so that we didn't cross over the drag strip going into turn #1. That way we could do testing on both tracks at the same time. (We were testing the C6 upgraded larger intercooler on the drag strip, while the C7 was out on the road course)

CLICK IMAGE FOR VIDEO

DATA COLLECTION: Three separate laptops were on board recording nearly every engine parameter (that's right THREE separate data acquisition systems), as well as pressure and temperatures at different locations on the supercharger system. For good measure we also used video and photography to capture aerodynamic effects.

(It took 3 laptops on board to capture all data each run)

TEAM: We wanted to keep the amount of cool down time between laps and passes constant, so each time the car would come in from a track session, all the vehicle data had to be logged and saved, and the entire intercooler system had to be swapped to test each design. To make sure all this happened quickly and consistently, a team of ProCharger staff worked feverishly with the skill and speed of a professional endurance race team.

(Changing Intercoolers)

DRIVER: All the testing equipment in the world will do no good if the driver can't perform consistently on each pass and lap, and ProCharger is lucky to have AMA and ASRA licensed road racer Walt Sipp on our sales staff. Lap after lap, hour after hour, Walt's driving abilities allowed him to push the Corvette to the limit, yet still retain consistent precision.

(Walt prepping before testing)

Now for the test results, starting with the Vertical intercooler and followed by the Horizontal variations tested.

Vertical Intercooler Testing: Absolutely lowest IAT's, PERIOD. With a nearly non-existent pressure drop, the Vertical intercooler option is perfect for high-HP street cars, whether on the drag strip or long pulls down the highway. However, with the stock radiator and engine cooling system, this unit may not be ideal for road-racing with extreme multi-lap sessions at wide open throttle. Enter the Horizontal intercooler option.

(Vertical Intercooler)

(135mph entrance to turn one)

Horizontal Intercooler Testing: We tested several versions of scoops, flaps, diffusers, etc to determine what the best fitment and the most effective cooling. Though none of the Horizontal intercooler options tested (regardless of flaps, scoops, size, etc) could match the Vertical intercooler's low IAT's, the Horizontal intercooler still has its merits--some of the versions that stood out from the rest are illustrated below ...

(Horizontal Intercooler)

First Test Group:
3.5" thick ProCharger cores (to mimic competitors' available units)

A. Enclosed scoop, forward-facing, top of core
B. Factory flap, behind core opening

Second Test Group:
4.5" thick ProCharger cores

(C) No scoop/flap, just open hole to ground
(D) Factory flap, behind core opening
(E) Factory flap, in front of core opening
(F) Extended flap, behind core opening
(G) Extended flap, in front of core opening
(H) Enclosed scoop, forward-facing, bottom of core
(I) Enclosed scoop, forward-facing, top of core
(J) Enclosed scoop, forward-facing, bottom of core, extended
(K) Multi-vane wings, forward-facing, bottom of core
(L) Multi-vane wings, rear-facing, bottom of core

So what does this all mean? Here is a quick breakdown of the notable tests, with images of a few of the options tested.

(A) and (I) = Poor Performance
Testing of these units had to be aborted due poor IAT's and ECT overheating, likely due to the amount of air the scoop steals away from the radiator just behind it. No test session could be completed due to engine coolant temps putting the engine at risk after just a few laps. (Both core sizes)

(H) and (J) = Moderate Performance, Bad Aerodynamics
These units performed well in terms of IAT's and ECT, however aerodynamic problems occurred above 115+ mph. The nose of the vehicle would lift causing "push" when cornering, and the braking transition was sketchy. For safety reasons, no testing about 135 mph was performed.

(D) = Good Performance
This was the first unit to ship with our systems and performed well. However, the intercooler flaps that are intended to route air toward the core create a ground clearance issue for lowered vehicles, and have a tendency to lay over at higher speeds. The IAT's and ECT also performed adequately, though not the best of the options we tested.

(L) = Best Performance
This unit could spend all day on the road course (at least until you ran out of gas, tires, or brakes). The IAT's stayed exactly the same on each lap, the ECT stayed exactly the same (stock), no aerodynamic changes of the car were observed, and great ground clearance was achieved (even on lowered C7's). This version wasn't too far behind the Vertical unit in terms of low IAT's and it has the same high-flowing core as the Vertical with nearly no pressure drop. This is the perfect unit for cars that will be at WOT for long periods of time, and/or in harsh, high-heat climates. Even though the unit is drawing air from underneath the car, the ground clearance is still close to factory.

(Shown with intercooler)

So there you have it, a glimpse into the real-world testing and R&D, with data to back it up. For more than 20 years, ProCharger supercharger systems have been a premium product, consistently proven to be the top performer on the drag strip, the street, and the road course!

If you are looking for the Ultimate Power Adder® for your C7 Corvette Stingray at power levels from 650-1200+ HP, look no further and call ProCharger today at 913-338-2886.

If you already have a ProCharged C7 that you want to share with the world, please check out our FACEBOOK page, or tag us at @procharger

(Aftermath of only a few laps on fresh tires)

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-03-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:24 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

awesome write up and engineering
Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

So what was the difference in IATs from vertical to horizontal? You say vertical is best, but is that 2F or 20F? I rather have the laid down if the difference is small, but if it is 15+ degrees that may change my mind. Plus what was the outside temp? Any concerns with vertical in extreme climates?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Unreal
So what was the difference in IATs from vertical to horizontal? You say vertical is best, but is that 2F or 20F? I rather have the laid down if the difference is small, but if it is 15+ degrees that may change my mind. Plus what was the outside temp? Any concerns with vertical in extreme climates?
We wanted to make sure that we had the ultimate in data collection. So even though it takes a good number of our staff out of the office and $$$ we did three separate track day events, in different temperatures and then compared results.

As you can tell from google, we didn't get our normal 100+ degree days here in KS. However we did testing on days in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Track temps were higher obviously due to the sun beating down.

We have had absolutely ZERO customer issues with Vertical intercoolers in climates such as Texas, FL, and AZ. LITERALLY NONE.

The only time you have issues with the vertical unit, is when you try and road corse the car after about 4-5 laps you will start to hit the cooling systems limit to shed heat.

So as you can see it takes quite a while for the condition to occur, thus why people are having such great results the vertical intercooler on cars that are drag raced, standing mile, half mile, or street racing (in mexico).

Road racing, would really be the only reason to go with a horizontal intercooler. (or if you live in death valley) Since in no way shape or form of core thickness, or flap design, will the IAT's match that of the vertical unit.

The "difference" in temperature is going to depend greatly on two things.

#1) Power/Boost level
#2) How long are you at wide open throttle

However even in the best configuration (4.5" core, reverse "MutiVane" diffuser), the IAT difference in temperature was blatantly apparent that the vertical unit was the "go to" intercooler unless you road race. (IE: not just 2-10 degree difference) Hence why OEM intercoolers for the most part are grill mounted in cars and trucks.

I am not in the office right now, due to the holiday (time for kids to start trick or treating) however will get that data difference next week when I return to more accurately answer your question.

To be honest, its hard to post actual data on this forum, since NONE of our competitors do, nor do they post about any testing they did. AND every time we post something positive, a few members of this forum just tear it to shreds with nearly no facts to back it up. Its not only frustrating, but not really worth the headache of battling against when a few people have a blatant "agenda" against us.

However I hope this thread topic had at least shown that we do much more then "guess" at what works on this C7, and will continue to do so if our customers find a need or niche that needs to be filled.

Have a great holiday everyone.

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-04-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I understand not posting actual data, but can you quantify the vertical over the horizontal best case? Like 5% better? 10% better? I guess in my case, living in AZ, where it gets 120F out, I rather take the extra cooling for radiator if it was only a 2-5% difference in IATs. If it was 10-20% then I would just look at upgrading cooling system instead.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome testing!!! Thanks Procharger! Great options on both. I'm glad however I went with the "Vertical" unit living here In Iowa. Your system works beyond words and transforms the C7 into a beast!
The following users liked this post:
blown81bu (01-17-2016)
Old 11-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
To be honest, its hard to post actual data on this forum, since NONE of our competitors do, nor do they post about any testing they did. AND every time we post something positive, members of this forum such as "breecher7" just tear it to shreds with nearly no facts to back it up. Its not only frustrating, but not really worth the headache of battling against someone that has a blatant "agenda" against us.

However I hope this thread topic had at least shown that we do much more then "guess" at what works on this C7, and will continue to do so if our customers find a need or niche that needs to be filled.

Have a great holiday everyone.

You've obviously been around here a while.
Thanks for the write up, good reading. Perhaps you could express the data in terms of percentages to make it more difficult for those who want to try and tear it apart for sport.

On the "L" scoop configuration, did you reach any speeds where the scoop would begin to pull away from the undertray due to turbulence or air pressure?
S.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

FWIW...I can think of at least one upcoming C7 model where a custom designed and tested front undertray scoop to a cooler might be very beneficial, if not a very cost effective way of decreasing fluid temps.
S.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:07 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Great data! Thanks for the write up. Now waiting for the Negative Nancys to chime in.

I've had my D1SC with Vertical mount in my basement for about 6 months now. In the next month or so I should hit 6,000 miles and I'll be ready for my new found power!

Can't wait!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:43 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for posting this data. Wish I had known it in March but I understand it takes time. Does Procharger sell the vertical intercooler, diffuser, and silicone hoses separately?
Old 11-01-2014, 04:04 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Great data! Thanks for the write up. Now waiting for the Negative Nancys to chime in.

I've had my D1SC with Vertical mount in my basement for about 6 months now. In the next month or so I should hit 6,000 miles and I'll be ready for my new found power!

Can't wait!
No reason to wait at this point. If you're close, it won't make a difference. Some people have put boost on their cars with a couple hundred miles on them and been just fine. Get an oil change if you haven't recently, and boost that beast.

Last edited by C7pimp; 11-01-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:30 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Nice read! Now have me wanting to look at my ITA's! Nice work on testing on the intercooler . My A&A kit does not seem to add any heat it runs the same as stock. Even after several 0-100's in warmer weather. Temperature
was and is never an issue.

Maybe use their exact Intercooler to really compare results.

To be fair the horizontal intercooler design "tested" looks nothing like the A&A.

You cannot just stick a flat wedge in there test it and say that's it.

There are difference's in many ways from what you tested. Thickness and size ,amount of air diverted Air flow etc.
The A&A cooler turns the air through the cooler.

I do know that after many A&A kits intercooling is tested.
Smoke tested and then lost air is rerouted to cool on the C6's.

Only been 135-140 a couple of times but didn't notice any lift.
The centri kits are great fun on the C7!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:33 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

Can't wait!
Put it on all ready! You will wonder why you waited. The C7
is 10 times the fun with over 500 rwhp.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:18 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf97
Thanks for posting this data. Wish I had known it in March but I understand it takes time. Does Procharger sell the vertical intercooler, diffuser, and silicone hoses separately?
They have said it all along that the Vertical intercooler is the best for the streets and 1/4 mile. Just no hard data to back it up. Unless you race your car I'd see no reason to switch at this point.

Originally Posted by C7pimp
No reason to wait at this point. If you're close, it won't make a difference. Some people have put boost on their cars with a couple hundred miles on them and been just fine. Get an oil change if you haven't recently, and boost that beast.
I'm sure I will be but with the amount of engines popping a few months ago between 100-6000 miles, I figure I'd wait it out!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The kit was originally for my 14' and my I got my 15' in mid September. 4k miles in a month and a half. Hopefully it won't be long! LOL

I did ARH LT's a few weeks ago and it's kept me happy but that's starting to wear off and I'm starting to get bored. LOL
Old 11-02-2014, 09:12 AM
mkr1966
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Old 11-02-2014, 10:25 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

At the time I ordered my Procharger kit, I was advised by a respected shop that the vertical intercooler was for hard core drag racers and the horizontal kit would be best for the street. After waiting 6 weeks or so for the horizontal intercooler to be available from Procharger, I cancelled my order and went with another brand.

Now I have an issue where the AC pressure sensor is wearing a hole in the aluminum intercooler discharge tube, so I reinforced it with Kevlar and epoxy for a temporary fix. I realize I need to take the front end apart and move things around a bit but I feel like it is going to hit somewhere else if I do that so that is why I would prefer to have the Silicone hoses. The additional benefit is less clamps to have to worry about. I see A&A went to Silicone hoses as well. So if I am going to take the front end apart, I thought might as well put the better intercooler in there too if it is not too expensive.

Also, I think the Procharger diffuser looks cool.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default C7

The C7 is a brilliant car, it makes a lot of fun

I am already driven several times with the C7 on the racetrack.
For Track Days 5-6 laps in a row, everything is perfect.
I drive with Slick so I have big problems after 15 minutes, the water temp and oil temp is at the boundary, the system uses for emergency!

So I ask myself, how is the functioning if, in addition, a compressor is installed?

-Ok for the street and the quarter mile
-Do you have any big mountains so mountain passes, you get high Temperathuren.
-For the race track is the system of death of each motor, if not invested in a much better water cooling of the motor.

Cölestin

Get notified of new replies

To 100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)

Old 11-02-2014, 12:30 PM
stangkilrproductions
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the vertical on mine and love it
Old 11-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Perhaps I am missing something, but where is the data? I just see a long draw up post with some pics, some renders, and a summary of results...

I see no temps, no IAT's, no pressure drop measurements, nothing....

Where is the data? How much of a difference is there between the two design's? I don't see real world testing, I just see a big *** sales pitch.

Last edited by Gadfly; 11-02-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:10 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by robertf97
At the time I ordered my Procharger kit, I was advised by a respected shop that the vertical intercooler was for hard core drag racers and the horizontal kit would be best for the street. After waiting 6 weeks or so for the horizontal intercooler to be available from Procharger, I cancelled my order and went with another brand.

Now I have an issue where the AC pressure sensor is wearing a hole in the aluminum intercooler discharge tube, so I reinforced it with Kevlar and epoxy for a temporary fix. I realize I need to take the front end apart and move things around a bit but I feel like it is going to hit somewhere else if I do that so that is why I would prefer to have the Silicone hoses. The additional benefit is less clamps to have to worry about. I see A&A went to Silicone hoses as well. So if I am going to take the front end apart, I thought might as well put the better intercooler in there too if it is not too expensive.

Also, I think the Procharger diffuser looks cool.
Maybe you could adapt our silicon tubing to your "BRAND-X" system?

Quick Reply: 100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)