C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Siphon Grid out of position recall - Here's the service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Default Anti-Siphon Grid out of position recall - Here's the service bulletin

Ok, here's a copy of the service bulletin outlining the procedure.

If the grid has not fallen into the tank, .7 hours to replace the fuel inlet nozzle. If the grid is all the way in the tank, 12 hours to pull the fuel tank...

It will be interesting to see how the new part differs from the old one..I will probably just order the part and install it myself.... I should be able to get GM to reimburse me for the cost of the part, and it saves them labor cost.

Please limit comments to technical details, and don't clutter thread with whether your car is included in the recall or not..

recall14689a.pdf

Here is the original part with the grid removed.....also details in post 13

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 03-29-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,715 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Downloading now, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:52 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

I ordered and installed the new filler nozzle myself this morning...
You can do it through the wheel well, but it was difficult to release the fuel vapor hose and the rubber hose to the fuel tank within the tight space. The hose clamp came loose easily, but the hose had bonded to the old neck and took some work to get it unstuck..

Here is the old part..The new grid looks like it is glued in where the old one had an exposed edge I could feel with my fingernail...

Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 AM
jyounger74
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You can do it through the wheel well, but it was difficult to release the fuel vapor hose and the rubber hose to the fuel tank within the tight space. The hose clamp came loose easily, but the hose had bonded to the old neck and took some work to get it unstuck..

Here is the old part..The new grid looks like it is glued in where the old one had an exposed edge I could feel with my fingernail...

I got mine yesterday
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM
jyounger74
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I got my recall yesterday
Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Do they take the fender off to make this change?

I have a Z06 Vent I need install was wondering if that could be shared labor.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Just went to the garage to see if you can do a visual inspection of this grid. Takes two screw drivers: 1) push open the first spring loaded door with a short flat bladed screw driver. 2) take a smaller longer flat blade and you can open the second door in the tube with your other hand. 3) I had a small LED flash light that I was holding in my mouth so I could shine down the tube. And Bingo, my siphon grid is in tact!

Not so thrilled about my GM dealer taking my car apart, so until this thing moves, I am staying put. Go check your car before you take it in!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
Just went to the garage to see if you can do a visual inspection of this grid. Takes two screw drivers: 1) push open the first spring loaded door with a short flat bladed screw driver. 2) take a smaller longer flat blade and you can open the second door in the tube with your other hand. 3) I had a small LED flash light that I was holding in my mouth so I could shine down the tube. And Bingo, my siphon grid is in tact!

Not so thrilled about my GM dealer taking my car apart, so until this thing moves, I am staying put. Go check your car before you take it in!
I just used the fuel funnel that came with the car to do a visual.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dovervold

It is much easier to just use the manual fuel filler tube that came with the car (look in the rear storage compartment) to hold both flaps open. Then you can easily look for the grid... Also note, one forum member reports that his grid was in place, and 40 miles later, it had dropped into the hose!

Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadville1
Do they take the fender off to make this change?

I have a Z06 Vent I need install was wondering if that could be shared labor.
It only requires that the wheel well liner be removed... I replaced mine myself, and removing the fender is not required...

Removing the fender would have made it easier, but not necessary.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:24 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Nearly 12 hrs of labor to remove the tank if the grid has dropped out!

I’d guess GM is crossing it’s fingers hoping few have had that happen. Ouch, very expensive.

Other than eliminating the anti siphon feature does a grid that has fallen into the tank cause any other issues? Don
Old 03-22-2015, 11:56 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Nearly 12 hrs of labor to remove the tank if the grid has dropped out!

I’d guess GM is crossing it’s fingers hoping few have had that happen. Ouch, very expensive.

Other than eliminating the anti siphon feature does a grid that has fallen into the tank cause any other issues? Don

The only other things in the fuel tank is the fuel pump and the fuel level float with some jet siphoning going on between tanks... How lucky do you feel that it will not end up in the wrong place?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Here is the inlet pipe without the grid...
It just presses up against a shoulder of the insert from above...
On the recall replacement I saw, it looked like they shortened the shoulder so the grid would press in a bit further, but still just pressed in.

The inlet pipe I ordered under the non-assembly number (23456468), looked to be pressed in all the way and glued in, so that fix may actually be better than the "official" fix under the recall assembly number..

What the updated part SHOULD look like...(no grid at all!)

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 03-30-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:43 PM
pgreen1959
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went in last week and of course it needs the replacement. However I have no issue with my dealer doing the work. They have always treated my C7 as if it was there's.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pgreen1959
Mine went in last week and of course it needs the replacement. However I have no issue with my dealer doing the work. They have always treated my C7 as if it was there's.
That's what I am afraid of!
I traded in a mint condition C5Z06 that I had for 10 years, and a couple of days later I saw it at the dealer and someone had run one of the wheels up against the curb and ruined it. The mechanic may do good work, but who else is driving it around the lot?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The mechanic may do good work, but who else is driving it around the lot?
Usually porters.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is in now for the anti siphon recall today. They have to drop the tank and I am traveling for work for 4 days. Told them no joyriding and noted the mileage, crossing my fingers.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Why can't I just remove the anti siphon grid?

If it falls in on its own, then what purpose is it serving? Obviously someone attempting to siphon fuel would be able to push it in.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Why can't I just remove the anti siphon grid?

If it falls in on its own, then what purpose is it serving? Obviously someone attempting to siphon fuel would be able to push it in.
Several forum members have suggested that....including me in post 13.
However, if you ever take your car to a dealer for service, and they see the grid is missing, they may end up trying to drop the fuel tank to look for the grid according to the recall...

The good part is, you would never have to worry about the grid coming out, and it would probably solve some of the refueling problems some people have experienced.

The whole purpose of the recall is to make sure the grid has not fallen into the tank, not so much to keep people from siphoning your gas.
You are right that a determined thief could knock the grid out since it is just pressed in, and not glued in or against a shoulder on the bottom side.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 03-30-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-Siphon Grid out of position recall - Here's the service bulletin

Quick Reply: Anti-Siphon Grid out of position recall - Here's the service bulletin