C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheels for C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:50 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels for C7

I had ordered a set of really great looking wheels for my base C7. Was assured by the major vendor that it would be made specifically for the C7. When it came in, it was touching the brakes on the front and back wheels.

I am beginning to understand some of the reduced offsets that some of the wheel makers are putting on their C7 wheels. Many are reducing the offset, apparently in order to clear the brakes but, in the process the wheels and tires get moved outside and they rub on the fenders, particularly at the back of the car.

My wheels were sent back with the surprise note that if those wheels were built for the C7 specifically, how come the manufacturer never actually tried it on a C7 to see that they won't work. I kept my deposit with the promise of a modified design but, I suspect it will come with reduced offset and the possibility of fender interference. Hope not, will report back if/when I get it. It was a beautiful set of wheels, super reasonably priced.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

This is the problem with the 1000 dollar wheels.

Contact Ben@WeaponX for some Forgelines and do it right.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:10 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Give us a shout, we custom make all our wheels and guarantee fitment.

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate the offset of the Stingray. the brake rotors practically stick out as far as the fenders. There are no good looking wheels for this car. Have to do a widebody conversion to get a decent looking set of wheels. This is by far my biggest issue with the C7, just in front of the infotainment system haha.
The following users liked this post:
ron landgraf (05-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 PM
axr6
Pro

Originally Posted by Atomic-Vette
I hate the offset of the Stingray. the brake rotors practically stick out as far as the fenders. There are no good looking wheels for this car. Have to do a widebody conversion to get a decent looking set of wheels. This is by far my biggest issue with the C7, just in front of the infotainment system haha.
Exactly. Just as I suspected the manufacturer declared that they could not modify that particular really nice wheel to fit because of the brakes sticking out. I finally went for a set of Z51 wheels not seeing any really good, reasonable alternatives with the proper offset. Since I lowered my car I can not go for less offset and the resulting fender interference.

The infotainment system and the electronic display systems are superior to my late model Jaguars so I will not complain :-).
Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

stock tires/stock bolts/full drop, great fit/no rub, lightweight/rotary forged, $1050 shipped

Last edited by C8Jake; 04-20-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:55 PM
axr6
Pro

Jake - those Nurburgring wheels look fantastic on your car. However, I have read a good number of people posting that their rings are touching the rear fenders. That would not surprise me as they are not only 0.5" wider but, also, have rear offsets that are 14mm less, making them stick a total of 20mm further out than stock.

As my car arrived from the factory with the base wheels they had positive cambers on the rears (love to know why?) and when I drove over a couple of dips at 70 MPH the tires touched both rear fenders... yes, with the stock wheels. Now that I put negative camber in them, it is no longer an issue but, the experience had made me stick to the factory offsets.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

10k...no rubbing issues
Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The Crays for the C7 are cheap and I've not seen any problems posted here. No issues with mine that I've noticed, and they're made specifically for the C7 with the wonky offsets.

Of course, the Forgelines are a much better choice.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 PM
axr6
Pro

Originally Posted by C7Jake
10k...no rubbing issues
You either are driving on perfectly smooth roads or something else. I would have LOVED to get the Nurburgrings as they are light weight, look great and the price is most attractive but, I absolutely don't want fender touching on my car. Just looking at your very top picture the rears appear to be out far enough where going over a good dip would make them touch.

I actually called and asked a dealer why they would make them with less than factory offsets. He would not answer but, I found out when my originally ordered wheels and my stock wheels touched the brakes or the fenders. Many aftermarket wheels are built for multiple car applications and their spokes will touch the C7 brakes if matching the factory offset. So, they resort to moving the whole wheel out by reducing the offset because they obviously do not want to cut from the spokes. The C7 stock rear offsets (79mm), particularly, are rather large and radical so, few wheel manufacturers would want to make even larger offsets that would work well for wider-than-stock wheels.

Like I said, I would LOVE to have the Nurburgrings but, only if they made it to the stock or even larger (by 6mm) offset.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Having tires and wheels that stick out past the fenders does not necessarily mean you'll get fender rubbing.

I'm at the bottom of the factory bolts with two fingers of height from the tire to the fender, and I don't have issues.

Not really an endorsement, just a note. You can find pictures of 375s here that Ben ran with the stock fenders and lowering bolts. No issues that I know of.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Originally Posted by axr6
You either are driving on perfectly smooth roads or something else.
That's a laugh...roads are brutal after 2 severe winters. Suspension gets hammered. Rare treat to drive a short section of smooth pavement. No tire marks on rear fender lips.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I fully intend to go with a set of TSW Panoramas with stock tires and crossed flag caps lowered on factory bolts whenever I can finally afford my LB Z51.

I guess I'm the only one left around here that likes a simple 5 spoke. I wish there was more shape to the spoke, but there is a subtle curve. And I imagine they're stronger than Forgeline CF5s, as everyone I know says they bend if you look at them wrong. In a perfect world I'd get a set of CCW SP500s in gloss black, but who wants to spend 4k for wheels?

Last edited by 4GS7; 04-20-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:48 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Intend to go with TSW Panoramas & stock tires. I guess I'm the only one left around here that likes a simple 5 spoke.
Panorama, Interlagos, Nurburgring...all nice wheels
Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

In a perfect world I'd get a set of CCW SP500s in gloss black, but who wants to spend 4k for wheels
well I currently have two sets of Forgelines (DE3S and GA3) and before that I had TSWs and guess what, they rubbed.

no i wasn't 4x4 like Jake (sorry bud the sun shines on your tread and I can measure the depth from here...) but I wasn't THAT low. every time I hit a bump, even small....ouch.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Wasn't 4x4 like Jake
Stock bolts down all the way...splitter scrapes
If I ran lower deflectors, they'd shred.

Last edited by C8Jake; 04-21-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:33 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
well I currently have two sets of Forgelines (DE3S and GA3) and before that I had TSWs and guess what, they rubbed.

no i wasn't 4x4 like Jake (sorry bud the sun shines on your tread and I can measure the depth from here...) but I wasn't THAT low. every time I hit a bump, even small....ouch.
Stock bolts are all the lowering I need. Won't even cut the bushings. I've seen too many aftermarket bolt bushings disintegrate and, again, I'm not spending 3k for drop spindles to maintain control arm geometry. Also, I live in NY and have to drive into Queens on a regular basis.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket wheels for C7

Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Stock bolts are all the lowering I need. Won't even cut the bushings. I've seen too many aftermarket bolt bushings disintegrate and, again, I'm not spending 3k for drop spindles to maintain control arm geometry. Also, I live in NY and have to drive into Queens on a regular basis.
IMO, the stock bolts lowered down in the front looks good. The rear is still way too high. Lower the rear all the way but not quite all the way in the front so it doesn't look like 1993 John Force.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Stock bolts are all the lowering I need.

Ya clearly tempt fate w/wider tires/chopped bolts. I like the stock tire, full drop/stock bolt rake + no rear tire rub on the roughest roads/RRX. Splitter's made to flex when scraped & cheap to replace. No way I'd further lower the rear on chopped bolts.
I've less than 4" clearance @ the front of the skirts.

Last edited by C8Jake; 04-21-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7Jake

Ya clearly tempt fate w/wider tires/chopped bolts. I like the stock tire, full drop/stock bolt rake + no rear tire rub on the roughest roads/RRX. Splitter's made to flex when scraped & cheap to replace. No way I'd further lower the rear on chopped bolts.
I've less than 4" clearance @ the front of the skirts.
The fronts aren't the issue, the rear stays too high on stock bolts.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels for C7