C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Oil Analysis at 6,408 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:10 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Used Oil Analysis at 6,408 Miles

Included here are UOA's at 6408 miles from 2 labs with particle counts, a filter element inspection at 7434 miles when I did my second oil change and catch can results.

For the prior UOA thread, see: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...732-miles.html

The UOA's were done by Blackstone Labs (with a retest of the particle count from a resample of oil) and also by Titan Laboratories, which uses a LaserNet Fines method, which should be more accurate. Titan Labs report contains two test of the same sample, since the original sample supplied did not have the particle count test performed, which they corrected. This provides an interesting comparison of how repeatable their results are for the element analysis, also compared to Blackstone (which was from a sample 670 miles prior to Titan's).

Samples were sent to a third lab with LaserNet Fines capability, but their unit was out of service, so no data is available.

Blaskstone's Report: Blackstone15 CORVETTE-041215_Particle_Count_Retest_Anon.pdf

Blackstone's retest of the particle count was about 75% lower in all size categories than the previous sample.

Titan Lab's Report: Titan Labs UOA 2015 Corvette Z51.pdf

Titan's element analysis was reasonably close to Blackstone's, although the particle count for <6 microns was much higher. This was not a big surprise, since they use totally different methods. It would have been nice to have the third lab's results to compare to.

I changed oil at 7434 miles to standard Mobil 1 5W30 (replacing Extended Performance used for the first change at 2200 miles).

I also installed an Amsoil filter instead of the OEM, leaving the two FitlerMag SS-300 filter magnet wraps on.

Here's what the removed filter can looked like, showing the iron particles trapped by the magnets (just one half-side shown):

Name:  FilterMag Particles 070315.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  3.88 MB

I also removed the filter element, gently washed it with acetone to remove the surface oil, making any particles more visible. I used a 10X magnifier to count visible particles in 10 of the 51 pleats, with a average of 6.1 per pleat or about 311 total. This only includes surface particles above about 0.002" in size. The largest particle measured 0.054 x 0.018 x 0.003", with about 8 more having the largest dimension >0.015". All of the largest particles were steel, as they were magnetic.

For a comparison of my initial filter element inspection, see: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...200-miles.html

I still don't have a decent microscope with imaging to capture clear pix of the particles, but this shows the largest particle, mentioned above:

Name:  Largest particle.JPG
Views: 1380
Size:  470.4 KB

The intent of this was to see if the Amsoil filter improves the element analysis (in ppm) and the particle counts (in particles per millilter), compared to the OEM filter. I'm getting ready to make a 2200 mile cross country trip and plan on doing a UOA and filter inspection when I get back, similar to the 5732 mile UOA.

I also drained my Mighty Mouse catch can, which yielded 6 ml. of black, low viscosity, very aromatic fluid after 893 miles from the prior draining.

Last edited by sahlbom; 07-05-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Fix typo's
Old 07-05-2015, 10:30 PM
TON C7S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info. Will you continue to use the regular Mobil 1 and the Amsoil oil filter?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 AM
sahlbom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TON C7S
Thanks for the info. Will you continue to use the regular Mobil 1 and the Amsoil oil filter?
I was planning on trying a different oil on this oil change, such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus which has better TEOST ratings, but it isn't readily available at a reasonable price in NC yet. My main (minor) issue with Mobil 1 is higher ash content (especially the EP version).

If the Amsoil filter shows significant reduction in wear elements and particle counts in the next UOA, then I'll consider staying with it.

The particle count results using the OEM filter weren't very consistent, so I don't have a good baseline unfortunately. The iron analysis at about 17 ppm is consistent. If that drops significantly with the Amsoil filter, I would stick with it.

I ruled out other synthetic filters that claim finer filtration, due to lack of adequate flow rate info for the filter and for the engine (which claims to use a lower pressure, higher volume lubrication system than prior engines).

But Mobil 1 and OEM filter with a 5,000 mile OCI is probably fine for street use. I'l probably stick with the FilterMag magnetic wraps, aothough I don't have any good info on how much they reduce fine iron particles that would otherwise pass through the filter. I don't especially like the way the magnets are arranged in the FilterMag, but it's hard to find something better that fits in the space around the filter.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 PM
TON C7S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great work and awesome info as usual. Pennzoil ultra platinum is $10+tax a quart at Autozone, cheapest I seen on eBay is $9.40 shipped. So you are correct, it's expensive compared to the cost of regular Mobil 1. It's actually double the cost.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:00 PM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

.......... I don't have any good info on how much they reduce fine iron particles that would otherwise pass through the filter...............

I understand your concern about the quantitative data, but one look at the factory installed magnet in the transmission pan will demonstrate the usefulness of the magnets. In the numerous times I've pulled trans pans, the amount of iron "dust" was very noticeable if not significant. I personally have a circular (donut shape) magnet that attaches to the bottom of the filter. The space is just too tight to make the sleeve or wrap magnet convenient.

Get notified of new replies

To Used Oil Analysis at 6,408 Miles

Quick Reply: Used Oil Analysis at 6,408 Miles