C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports Automatic Transmission Cooler 2015 A8 install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Anthony!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:02 AM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What next? After a couple of months and seven track days I have realized the larger LG trans cooler and Z06 intake vents were a short term solution for me. I thought that Watkins Glen would generate more heat with its high speeds, but I found out that's not the case. My local track Palmer with it's tighter turns and elevation changes tends to make the car work harder and generate more heat. I gave up letting the car shift itself because it works everything too hard and have been manually shifting it. Now as my experiance level has increased and lap times have decreased, The trans is overheating again even with me manually shifting it at lower RPM's.
I still had hope that GM would have came up with a kit for us as was mentioned, but that does not seem to be the case.
Well living in the northeast means I got six months to come up with a solution, mount the stock cooler some where, larger pan, ice packs,?
I do love this car and the A8 that it came with, it just needs a little help.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gamo
What next? After a couple of months and seven track days I have realized the larger LG trans cooler and Z06 intake vents were a short term solution for me. I thought that Watkins Glen would generate more heat with its high speeds, but I found out that's not the case. My local track Palmer with it's tighter turns and elevation changes tends to make the car work harder and generate more heat. I gave up letting the car shift itself because it works everything too hard and have been manually shifting it. Now as my experiance level has increased and lap times have decreased, The trans is overheating again even with me manually shifting it at lower RPM's.
I still had hope that GM would have came up with a kit for us as was mentioned, but that does not seem to be the case.
Well living in the northeast means I got six months to come up with a solution, mount the stock cooler some where, larger pan, ice packs,?
That's disappointing. I was hoping the LG cooler in the rear would work so the space up-front could be used for the secondary engine cooling since that might be the next limiting factor once the transmission stops overheating. I guess not.

I'm doing one more track day to go but then I too have 6 months to figure out what to do, including just selling the car.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:01 AM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by gamo
My experience exactly with rpm management via paddle shifting. In addition to the larger LG primary cooler I also had my shop mount the smaller oem cooler under the transverse member and plumb it in series with the new one. This helped quite a bit and the only time I have transmission temps high enough to be a problem is when an event runs 30 minute sessions in July & August down here in New Orleans. I sure would like to add that larger LG tranny oil pan that's been in development for some time now. Anthony?

JV

Last edited by Jet Vet; 10-23-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Jet Vet
My experience exactly with rpm management via paddle shifting. In addition to the larger LG primary cooler I also had my shop mount the smaller oem cooler under the transverse member and plumb it in series with the new one. This helped quite a bit and the only time I have transmission temps high enough to be a problem is when an event runs 30 minute sessions in July & August down here in New Orleans. I sure would like to add that larger LG tranny oil pan that's been in development for some time now. Anthony?

JV

We have made a couple prototype A8 pans and have one in testing on our 2015 Z06 right now. I know they have drawn it, and are working on production but I do have have a price or release date. I'll see if I can not find out more this week, but it should be here ready to go before Thanksgiving.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:21 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
We have made a couple prototype A8 pans and have one in testing on our 2015 Z06 right now. I know they have drawn it, and are working on production but I do have have a price or release date. I'll see if I can not find out more this week, but it should be here ready to go before Thanksgiving.
I do own a C7 Z51 M7, and I installed the Z06 transmission cooler, which is very similar to LG's solution. That said, the transmission temps still seem to run very high at the track. I never got a warning message, but it can easily creep into the redline temp area in a matter of 30 minutes or so of track driving.

I do still have my Z51 cooler core, and would love to add it in addition. I don't have the tools to make hoses that connect to the system, though. Anthony, do you guys happen to have these hoses, and even the leaf spring mounts available?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We have changed the design on the dual coolers slightly as we have been developing the cooling system for the new Z06 so a few things have changed but either way we use two coolers.

For Z51 cars you will be using our larger cooler on the driver side in replacement of the OEM cooler. This is a plug and pay affair for both auto and manual cars.

For those wanting to run twin coolers, on the base cars you will use our cooler in replacement of the OEM then, with the supplied brackets and lines move the OEM cooler to the passenger side behind the diff cooler so it is being fed air from the fender port but you have coolers on both sides.

For Z06 cars, the OEM cooler stays on the driver side, and the supplied hose and line kit places our larger cooler on the passenger side.

Example...this is on our Z06 with the rear bumper removed so you can see better

Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Casey Clark
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

JV

This is a great mount. Did you have this made, if so what did it set you back and would it be possible for them to make another set?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

So the original OEM unit can be used as a secondary cooler after replacing it with the larger LG model? I'll definitely do that, but I have a few questions. Btw, I have installed coilovers so my leaf spring has been removed.

First, On my car, a '15 Z51 A8, there is an 'L' shaped tab mounted where the red circle is in the above picture. Its made of hard rubber about 8" wide which hangs down about an inch or so, I assume to divert airflow up into the transaxle cooling fins. I can mount the secondary cooler to the transverse member forward of that piece, but I assume that tab needs to remain where it is. Will installation of the cooler directly in front of it affect its purpose?

Next, do I simply splice into the supply or return line for the new LG cooler and run extensions to the OEM (now secondary) cooler? If so, how do I know which is supply and which is return, or does it even matter? Thanks for any help.

JV
When I did the LG set up that is what Dana told me to do I used the stock one also so I have two the big LG one & the stock LG one in the hole also.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Originally Posted by Casey Clark
This is a great mount. Did you have this made, if so what did it set you back and would it be possible for them to make another set?
I like the looks of the work the shop did on this looks great man. to the guy here just ask him to give you the part # of that cooler you should be able to order this cooler as long as you know the name of the maker. Robert

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports Automatic Transmission Cooler 2015 A8 install