C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:59 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Default Oil question...

The current 'self destructing' thread has me thinking.

How much of a difference is there on the dip stick when checking oil level warm versus cold?

Anyone have a picture of the dip stick?

If oil level is checked cold it can artificially read low because oil drains out of the tank. So wouldn't topping off low cause the system to have too much oil?

If the car really is low with a seized engine is it because they refilled without running the engine and circulating the oil through the system first?

Last edited by jim2527; 09-26-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:56 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 151 Posts

You seem to be referring to a C7 dry sump? Assuming so, most folks who have run experiments on "cold check" dry sump oil levels report that given enough time (hours), a properly filled C7 dry sump will eventually show no oil on the dipstick.

As such there is no "cold check" protocol for a C7 dry sump, and hence the specifically documented 5-10 minute wait on a warm engine is the only accurate method.

In theory, a person could potentially add enough oil to a cold dry sump system to severely overfill it. Possibly to the point of pushing oil out the PCV burp line into the intake tube. From there, if sufficient in volume, it could be sucked into the engine through the intake manifold. This has been reported from overfill (oil in the intake tube and manifold). I'm not aware of any documented C7 engine "hydro" (petro?) locks from overfill.

Wet sumps would tend to show more oil in the pan the longer it's been turned off.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:03 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
You seem to be referring to a C7 dry sump? Assuming so, most folks who have run experiments on "cold check" dry sump oil levels report that given enough time (hours), a properly filled C7 dry sump will eventually show no oil on the dipstick.

As such there is no "cold check" protocol for a C7 dry sump, and hence the specifically documented 5-10 minute wait on a warm engine is the only accurate method.

In theory, a person could potentially add enough oil to a cold dry sump system to severely overfill it. Possibly to the point of pushing oil out the PCV burp line into the intake tube. From there, if sufficient in volume, it could be sucked into the engine through the intake manifold. This has been reported from overfill (oil in the intake tube and manifold). I'm not aware of any documented C7 engine "hydro" (petro?) locks from overfill.

Wet sumps would tend to show more oil in the pan the longer it's been turned off.
I recall back when the c7 was kind of new, a guy had his dry sump severely overfilled and it toasted his engine.

The guy doing the oil change didnt drain both plugs, and put WAY to much oil in.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:12 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I recall back when the c7 was kind of new, a guy had his dry sump severely overfilled and it toasted his engine.

The guy doing the oil change didnt drain both plugs, and put WAY to much oil in.

Sounds vaguely familiar now that you mention it. I think there was also something more recently with the "one plug drain" (but no lock-up) in the Z06 section. But going back to early MY14 we were in the throws of oil foaming and dripping filters as well...so my memory is cluttered with oil stories.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:43 PM
jim2527
Race Director

most folks who have run experiments on "cold check" dry sump oil levels report that given enough time (hours), a properly filled C7 dry sump will eventually show no oil on the dipstick

In theory, a person could potentially add enough oil to a cold dry sump system to severely overfill it..
Thanks, that exactly what I was asking about...

Any guess as to how much oil would need to be added to a 'cold check' so it would read as 'full' on the stick.

1 quart? 3? 4? 6?
Old 09-27-2016, 04:07 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

I will try cold after sitting over night, cold after short run to bring oil pressure up and then shut off and finally normal, after oil temp above 175 F.

Cold after sitting over night is way low, about 1 1/2" from bottom of dipstick.

After sitting over night and short start up to bring oil pressure up, just above the hash marks, say 5/8 the way between low and high.

Warm above 175 F after waiting 7 1/2 " from shut down, oil level 3/4 way between low mark and full mark

It appears the oil level grows a little between start up and operating temp, but not much maybe the equivalent of 4 oz.

I wonder where the guy is that gets all butt-hurt without pictures?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Oil question

Why would you even go there?
Originally Posted by jim2527

Any guess as to how much oil would need to be added to a 'cold check' so it would read as 'full' on the stick.

1 quart? 3? 4? 6?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
There are no dumb questions. Looks like if it is more than a quart of so low it won't even show on the dipstick cold.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:42 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Just trying to increase my knowledge of the dry sump system. Didn't want to muddy up the other thread....
Old 09-30-2016, 05:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,663 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527

1 quart? 3? 4? 6?
Per the above post! For fun, I checked my Z51 oil level several days after the car was parked. There was no oil showing at the tip of the dip stick! Measuring the dip stick and the hatched area, which in 1 inch is a quart, it was at least 5 quarts low in the tank. There is enough left to lub the engine and you can hear oil flowing back to the tank from the pan as soon as the car is started. By the way, checked the oil after I came back from a drive and it was right where I keep it, half way in the hatched area or 1/2 quart less than Max.

Oil drains back from the dry sump tank past the scavenge pump gears, which is why the Owner's Manual says you must check before 10 minutes or you'll get a false low reading.

So your question has no proper answer! If you wait for the oil to get cold it will read low! Depends on how cold you want to let it get! The answer then is IT CAN NOT BE CHECKED COLD. As Mirisa Tormei said in "My Cousin Vinny," it's a trick question!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-30-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:28 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU

Per the above post! For fun, I checked my Z51 oil level several days after the car was parked. There was no oil showing at the tip of the dip stick! Measuring the dip stick and the hatched area, which in 1 inch is a quart, it was at least 5 quarts low in the tank. There is enough left to lub the engine and you can hear oil flowing back to the tank from the pan as soon as the car is started. By the way, checked the oil after I came back from a drive and it was right where I keep it, half way in the hatched area or 1/2 quart less than Max.

Oil drains back from the dry sump tank past the scavenge pump gears, which is why the Owner's Manual says you must check before 10 minutes or you'll get a false low reading.

So your question has no proper answer! If you wait for the oil to get cold it will read low! Depends on how cold you want to let it get! The answer then is IT CAN NOT BE CHECKED COLD. As Mirisa Tormei said in "My Cousin Vinny," it's a trick question!

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil question...

Quick Reply: Oil question...