C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?
Yes: Speed is King!
45.09%
No: I'll Row My Own!
54.91%
Voters: 499. You may not vote on this poll

Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:38 PM
kstine98
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I ordered auto in my stingray. Then I went to Ron fellows driving, drove a stick, and decided that is what I wanted in the z06. I ordered the M7.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:01 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Read the October 27 th review in autoweek page 35 and take all the DCT s are better bull and wipe your @ss with it.

I was a fan of DCT s before most here even heard of them. That said the new 8L90 realizes after two hard turns and a braking event that your driving hard and it goes into racetrack mode.

The compromise allows superior daily driving characteristics, lighter weight, better reliability and lower maintenance...not to mention lower cost...

Autoweek says...after driving these latest 8 speed automatics....hellcat, jaguar f type r and the corvette "we can say the newest models are every bit as good as dual clutches..

They can shift as fast feel smoother and aren't rough on low speed launches like so many performance oriented DCT s."
Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Btw autoweek also mentions no automatic...DCT or torque converter will match the involvement or control of a manual

My next vette will be an A8 after three decades of driving manuals....

To each their own
Old 10-26-2014, 07:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Read the October 27 th review in autoweek page 35 and take all the DCT s are better bull and wipe your @ss with it.

I was a fan of DCT s before most here even heard of them. That said the new 8L90 realizes after two hard turns and a braking event that your driving hard and it goes into racetrack mode.

The compromise allows superior daily driving characteristics, lighter weight, better reliability and lower maintenance...not to mention lower cost...

Autoweek says...after driving these latest 8 speed automatics....hellcat, jaguar f type r and the corvette "we can say the newest models are every bit as good as dual clutches..

They can shift as fast feel smoother and aren't rough on low speed launches like so many performance oriented DCT s."
HELL CAT KITTY LIVES!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Manual shifting is obsolete. After many years and many musclecars, vettes( 2 LPE supercharged),996TT, M3's, M5, all with manuals except my 06 C6 and my present daily driver, a CTS-V A6, I'm tired of all the work on a daily basis. Sure it's fun running it thru the gears, executing some heel and toe rev matched downshifts etc, but it's a lot easier to just click a paddle to do the same thing. Since I'm not a track guy, when I'm out and about in my Z06 A8, I want to play like I'm a formula one/ indy car driver paddle shifting not a good ole boy Junior Johnson nascar type driving a manual while running shine.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Manual shifting is obsolete. After many years and many musclecars, vettes( 2 LPE supercharged),996TT, M3's, M5, all with manuals except my 06 C6 and my present daily driver, a CTS-V A6, I'm tired of all the work on a daily basis. Sure it's fun running it thru the gears, executing some heel and toe rev matched downshifts etc, but it's a lot easier to just click a paddle to do the same thing. Since I'm not a track guy, when I'm out and about in my Z06 A8, I want to play like I'm a formula one/ indy car driver paddle shifting not a good ole boy Junior Johnson nascar type driving a manual while running shine.
I don't think the fun of sports car driving is simply doing whats the "easiest".

All those cars you mentioned including the indy car are DCT transmissions. The Z06 A8 is more akin to the paddle shifting you would find in a regular auto vehicle that has paddles, such as a ford explorer. A8 ≠ DCT.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:30 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
I don't think the fun of sports car driving is simply doing whats the "easiest".

All those cars you mentioned including the indy car are DCT transmissions. The Z06 A8 is more akin to the paddle shifting you would find in a regular auto vehicle that has paddles, such as a ford explorer. A8 ≠ DCT.
I respectively disagree. I have driven all of those cars as well as a number of others with a DCT. Importantly, I have also driven the A8. For a number of reasons I believe the equation should be A8> DCT.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega

Neither the modern fast shifting A8's or DCT's are hard core big time racing transmissions, they are just fun trannys that some people enjoy running around the track in club racing or other various lower level track endeavors. Sports car driving can be fun with a stick or with paddle shifts. Many of us are just tired of pushing that clutch pedal in and out countless times when we are done playing and now it becomes a chore as we run around town in traffic or worse yet get stuck in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't get me wrong there is nothing inherently "wrong" with the A8. I just can't believe the uptake rate is so high. I like the paddle shifting in my GTR, but would definitely prefer a DCT in the Z06. The way a DCT operates IMO is a superior design to a torque converter auto, no matter how fast it shifts.

Yes I've heard all the reasons why they didn't go with a DCT. Packaging size, etc... but I think the REAL reason is they wanted to have an A8 available for other models.

Last edited by Callsign_Vega; 10-27-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?