C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7Z Heat Soak: How about a bigger Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:35 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C7Z Heat Soak: How about a bigger Intercooler?

Maybe its a little early in the game but has anyone thought about building a bigger more efficient intercooler?
I installed a larger intercooler on my TT 535 and it dropped the intake air temperatures (IAT) to almost ambient (outside) temperatures.
Heat soak is not existent.
Oh, and the car picked up 20rwhp because of it.
Hopefully there is room for one under there.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't think it's heat soak the iat's were inline. Its the ecu saying **** You
Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Would doing that void the warrantee?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:53 AM
TheSmoker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not heat soak!!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Why do people keep bringing up heat soak? Tuners have repeatedly said the Z06 has no issue with heat soak. Multiple dyno runs show the iat's stay pretty consistent. It appears the car just has a very conservative tune from the factory.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 PM
sdtoothdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was heat soak, then would the aftermarket guys tuning these cars to 600+ RWHP with the factory parts be getting these numbers pull after pull after pull?

Last edited by sdtoothdoc; 12-21-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
Why do people keep bringing up heat soak? Tuners have repeatedly said the Z06 has no issue with heat soak. Multiple dyno runs show the iat's stay pretty consistent. It appears the car just has a very conservative tune from the factory.
So, why does the C7 Z06 have such a conservative tune compared to the Obsolete C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
So, why does the C7 Z06 have such a conservative tune compared to the Obsolete C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1?
That's the million dollar question. Maybe there's an engine durability concern. Hopefully tuners can chime in with more detailed info. But everyone must consider that these cars haven't even been in the wild for a month yet. Time will reveal what the issues are. People will hit drag strips, more street races will turn up, and Randy Pobst will lap Laguna Seca.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:04 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Why do people keep bringing up heat soak?
Because that's the central issue.

GM mapped the ECU to pull timing IN ORDER TO AVOID HEAT SOAK.

As timing is advanced, pressure and temperature in the combustion chamber rise together -- which increases heat flow into the head, block, and coolants, which in turn will raise IAT2 temps. (Conversely, as timing is retarded, temps rise much less in the combustion chamber and cylinder, and more in the exhaust flow, as combustion can actually continue there.)

The LT4's IAT2 temps don't rise with repeated dyno pulls (or back to back highway pulls, or with multiple laps around the track) BECAUSE the ECU retards timing to minimize the increase in temperature, especially in the cylinder head and coolants. (I don't know where they are sensing temperature - be it in various locations in the cooling systems, in the exhaust primary just downstream of the exhaust valve, etc. -- only that there are probably several sensors that are sampled, and an algorithm to reduce those data for use by the ECU.)

Unfortunately, having committed to a supercharged engine, it becomes sort of a Catch 22. Maintaining timing advance results in rapidly increasing, and higher temperatures. That itself will result in increasing IAT2 temps, and therefore loss of power. Thus, maintaining full timing advance will cause heat soak, which, over time, will reduce the lifespan of the supercharging systems' components -- such as its integrated cooling system (which in turn will render them unwarrantable for 100,000 miles). Since an extended warranty is crucial to sales (i.e., to old car guys with the money to buy one), GM has apparently opted to reduce performance under sustained peak demand (i.e., via retarded timing) as a trade off to optimize sales.

Of course, air / fuel ratio is part and parcel to the timing / heat calculus, but since everyone has keyed in on ECU and timing, I've left the comments there for simplicity.
The following users liked this post:
vtknight (05-23-2016)
Old 12-21-2014, 05:15 PM
One Curve at a time
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HP JNKEY
Maybe its a little early in the game but has anyone thought about building a bigger more efficient intercooler?
I installed a larger intercooler on my TT 535 and it dropped the intake air temperatures (IAT) to almost ambient (outside) temperatures.
Heat soak is not existent.
Oh, and the car picked up 20rwhp because of it.
Hopefully there is room for one under there.
Very good question...
I had a Nissan 370z that would go into "limp mode" after 5 laps at the track. I added an extra oïl cooler and the problem was resolved!
Could this be also the case for the Z06?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I think the first hardware upgrade would be an upgraded heat exchanger. After that the IC reservoir (larger). And finally whether or not an actual upgraded IC "brick" is available.
S.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 12-21-2014, 07:26 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

So instead of thinking of it as pulling timing and reducing power, maybe we should consider it more like an over boost function as Porsche calls it on all the time until things get heated and you don't have that temporary increase of power. Timing is the easiest to use to keep things in line I suppose, but they can also control cylinder pressure via Variable Cam Timing as well. Again people have to keep in mind these 100k mile warrantied engines have to run year around across the US in wildly different weather conditions with varying octane fuel. With that being said, I'm sure GM engineers are going to program to play it safe than sorry.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 12-21-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Because that's where it is optimum for their purposes!

That's the million dollar question. Maybe there's an engine durability concern. Hopefully tuners can chime in with more detailed info. But everyone must consider that these cars haven't even been in the wild for a month yet. Time will reveal what the issues are. People will hit drag strips, more street races will turn up, and Randy Pobst will lap Laguna Seca.
IE Is a car really faster if it has more power, and, less traction?

I remember when some of the tuners got into the ZR1 and said how rich it was. And even though I hadn't heard of going that rich before (11.0 not 10.3) I was sure they new what they were doing and had their reasons!

Get notified of new replies

To C7Z Heat Soak: How about a bigger Intercooler?

Quick Reply: C7Z Heat Soak: How about a bigger Intercooler?