C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

891 miles-now engine is blown

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Hopefully, you'll get treated fairly and be back on the road soon.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
Sorry to hear about that.

Is there something in the manual about not hammering the car until 1,500 miles?

Regardless this sounds like something different, but I am wondering if GM can somehow pull history on tach and determine redline advice was ignored and try to hoop you.

I would imagine if this issue becomes a trend they will be trying to squirm out of as many $25 k repairs as they can.
Nope. Manual says break in is 500 miles. And not to track the car for the first 1500 miles. That is just to protect the trans and rear end for than anything. 891 miles or 2000 miles wouldnt of made a difference in my case. Engine was indeed broken in right with the 540 mile drive back from Rick Conti's in columbus OH back to north GA.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Well bad news today! Last Friday I had a catastrophic failure of my engine in my 2015 Z06. I was out putting some more miles on the car to get ready for my track event at road atlanta Jan 10 and 11. While making a pull from 35 mph I accelerated and shifted short of redline and boom. Car began knocking. I pulled over and popped hood. Could hear a loud knock coming from # 6 cylinder area along with a serious grinding metal on metal sound coming from the supercharger area.

Had Gm roadside service come tow the car to the dealership. Beware gm will only pay for 25 miles. My dealer which is the closest corvette certified dealer was over 40 miles away. I had to pay the overage of $40 out of my pocket. I will be fighting with GM over this one.

Dealer called today and said there was indeed failure in #6 valve train. They were instructed not to tear into the engine because it needs to be evaluated by them.

They gave me two options.

1. Allow Gm to take apart the engine and patch repair it. This option would of kept my original numbers matching engine in the car.

2. Replace the engine as a whole. This was the best option in my opinion due that I track my cars alot. I dont want any more issues with this engine.

So dealer went ahead and notified GM to send another engine. Who knows how long this will take. I really fell bummed out with GM right now. Sure this is a first year car and I understand that. But this is not the first time I have had to do R&D for the big GM. Just last year I was the first private owner to track my C7 Z51. That car over heated on a November cool day down here at Road Atlanta. Both the Transmission (M7) and engine. I made a post here and notified the engineering dept through my dealer. No one even followed up or cared.

My biggest surprise of this situation is that GM wasn't surprised at all about this situation. Seems this has occurred before with the test fleet vehicles.

I come here and post to not to bash GM but to warn you fellow Corvette owners before you go out and tune or modify your cars. Sure this may of been a issue in just a few but there was alot of looking into my computer files and such to find any mods. Sure GM would love to not have to pay for this $23,999 engine.

I will keep this thread update. Please please trolls dont destroy this thread with useless comments.

That is a bad thing to happen. It sucks when it happens...even more when it happens to you. There will be more of them in the near future.. Human build this engine..human will break it. You look like the kind of guy that is used to this kind of chit happening. Just like my dad...his C6Z is having its 4th engine installed but he absolutely loves his car. Sucks you have to miss on your event but... you will get to the track soon.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by occar
That sucks, but statistically a few engines are going to fail. What matters is how they handle it at this point.
This. Hope GM follows through, and you are able to rip through many more gears in the years to come!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:25 AM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lawdogg, my car was built just before yours (#354) and I have similar mileage, so I'll be watching mine carefully. I haven't been able to push mine too much with all of the traffic in my area. With all of the rain we get (and being below sea level) our roads suck, but I have found a few that have promise.

Thanks for the heads up on the towing issue as my dealer is about 50 miles from home.

Did you notice any fluctuations in your DIC info prior to the failure?

Hope GM handles this quickly!

BobD
H2LS3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, sorry to hear that...

It probably doesn't matter at all, but I'm curious.... Tonowanda or BG engine?

Good luck with everything!!
Denstoy968
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know that feeling you get when you see another guy getting kicked in the *****? I just got that reading this! Especially with my Z on its way! Man - sorry to hear this and glad you at least have a new motor on its way. Hope it all works out!!
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Nope. Manual says break in is 500 miles. And not to track the car for the first 1500 miles. That is just to protect the trans and rear end for than anything. 891 miles or 2000 miles wouldnt of made a difference in my case. Engine was indeed broken in right with the 540 mile drive back from Rick Conti's in columbus OH back to north GA.
Sorry for hear this and hopefully it is not laid up for too long.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Warship2k15
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Sorry to hear about your engine.Keep us posted.And glad GM seems to be stepping up and taking care of it with no problems.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:28 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FiremanC7
Lawdogg, my car was built just before yours (#354) and I have similar mileage, so I'll be watching mine carefully. I haven't been able to push mine too much with all of the traffic in my area. With all of the rain we get (and being below sea level) our roads suck, but I have found a few that have promise.

Thanks for the heads up on the towing issue as my dealer is about 50 miles from home.

Did you notice any fluctuations in your DIC info prior to the failure?

Hope GM handles this quickly!

BobD

Yea seems as if the firetruck will be arriving before the cop car. LOL. No nothing at all. temps were all good. No warnings at all.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by H2LS3
Oh man, sorry to hear that...

It probably doesn't matter at all, but I'm curious.... Tonowanda or BG engine?

Good luck with everything!!
tonowanda built. Hoping for a Bowling Green built on rebuild. That would be nice of GM for my troubles.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

How are your state lemon laws? Just in case more issues happen in the future and you want a brand new car or refund. I am sure GM would have a hard time fighting it w/ a blown engine on record.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:38 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shayneusmc
How are your state lemon laws? Just in case more issues happen in the future and you want a brand new car or refund. I am sure GM would have a hard time fighting it w/ a blown engine on record.

Not really every had to do one of those. Hope this car is not my first. Good thing I got family that are lawyers.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Not really every had to do one of those. Hope this car is not my first. Good thing I got family that are lawyers.
Here's hoping that GM will take good care of you before it ever gets to this point.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Wow...just wow......I think all C6Z owners know where this could be heading. Damn shame....
No, no we don't. Quit with the speculation. And confine your comments to your own experience.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shayneusmc
More uncalled for speculation.

Jeez.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Here's hoping that GM will take good care of you before it ever gets to this point.
I agree, I just get a little over protective sometimes

Get notified of new replies

To 891 miles-now engine is blown

Old 12-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rsalco
More uncalled for speculation.

Jeez.
Given the circumstances (blown engine), I don't know why it's uncalled for? The law exists for a reason, meaning it has happened before.

"Jeez."
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Sucks man. Best of luck getting it taken care of.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear, man. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 891 miles-now engine is blown