C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The C7 splash guards on Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenbayjohn
In answer to j mills request here is what I ordered for my car. Front splash guards listed as LR-CHE 09-72C-RR C7 Z06 ft SplashGuard w/S. Skrt 15-up. They were. $328.00 for front two.

Rear splash guards listed on invoice as...LR-CHE09-72B-RR C7 Z06 Rear SplashGuard w/RG 15-UP $328.00 for two rears. Shipping was $28.00 for shipment to New Jersey. Total cost was $684.00 and worth every cent. I had them installed at my dealership before I left with the car when it had 3 miles on it. $100.00 charge from dealership and protected along with expel ultimate and C-Quartz finest applied two coats on top of that.
WOW that is expensive for plastic splash guards or am I missing something?

Pictures please
Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

GVE.....Unfortunately how the splash guards look and how much money they cost (more=better, of course) apparently is the answer to this stone chipping issue. You ran the story very well last year regarding the Orielly splash guards and many of us followed your results. Yes, they do work...the reason why is that you can mount them, especially on the front wheel wells, so they stick out beyond the outer tire wall by 3/4" or a little more. You mount them so you have 3.5-4" of ground clearance. Unless you get the splash guards to extend out past the the tire wall, there is no way that the debris kicked up by your front tires will be deflected. Side skirts really help, but the location of that splash guard is the ONLY solution if you travel roads with road debris on them, especially from road maintenance during the winter months...rock salt, anti skid crushed stones, etc.). you showed this picture from your car. As I remember, you also experimented with some longer guards, but I used the original ones that you suggested and....1) they work well, 2) they look very acceptable, and 3) they cost $12.99 for each axle. But, at the end of the day, whatever anyone wants to use, you've got lots of choices. Just remember what they have to do to protect your car.....

Last edited by tzoid9; 03-15-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Like others have already said. The guards have to cover the side exposure of the tire. And more importanty for those without side skirts, they have to be low. Not if you have the side skirts. Doesn't matter (other than the underside of the skirts getting pelted)

they don't look bad at all imo. They blend well if I stalled like mine are.

Nothing gets past them if Installed like this. It's hard for me to show you a bad angle that would offend me in any way or take away from the beauty of this car and my personal opinion fan of the side skirts so I hung low and wide but here's a couple more pics I have videos as well the car from all angles they blend in I don't know if it's the color or what but they do not offend me not one bit

The following users liked this post:
tzoid9 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 784 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Pretty car! What kind of wax do u use?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM
CU24
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ACS mudflaps installed on 2017 Z06

Just finished the install. Easy. Flaps look good, as quite slim and discrete. Should help to limit road stuff thrown back from front tires.

Now to get SunTek PPF paint protection. Professional firm said;
"We have been using SunTek PPF for 5 years now with no issues, we prefer this film over 3M Pro Series and Xpel Ultimate film. All three films are top coated with self healing properties, we find SunTek PPF eaisier to install and costs up to 25% cheaper than 3M or Xpel. SunTek PPF will not yellow or discolour over time if it's maintained properly."
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 PM
CU24
Intermediate

Another shot from drivers side.
ACS was really good, with assistance on chat for specific parts, installation YouTube and shipping via FedEx

Rears from ACS are GM parts. Very slim and discrete
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM
CU24
Intermediate

Drivers side front
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by CU24
Drivers side front
CU...I don't know what experience you may have with the stones and debris kicking up from the front tires, along the sides of the car, but I'm pretty sure I have my doctorate in that subject! It's been a PIA issue with me since I purchased my '16 Z06. Now I don't have side skirts, which people have said minimizes the problem, but I do have splash guards, Xpel all over the rear quarter panels and all along the side sill of the car, front to back...and most recently have had the entire car Ceramic Pro'd. On you car, from the pictures, it doesn't appear that the front splash guards extend out further than the outside of the front tire. If they don't you will hardly minimize the problem...those splash guards have to extend out further than the tire. The measurement is about 2 3/4" of the splash guard extends out from the bottom edge of the side molding (where the splash guard attaches in the wheel well). Just my experience....the pebbles and other debris come flying off the front tires and without the guard extended out far enough, your chips around the rear brake ducts and sides of your car will be overwhelming. Best of luck!!
The following users liked this post:
Torchredc5vette (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

as Tzoid9 mentioned if they aren't far enough out to cover all of the tire you will get stones flying back and hitting the paint on the rear quarters.
I bought the ACS splash guards and only used them for 200 miles before I discovered that they didn't do the job. That's when I started looking for other alternative splash guards. The O'Reillys seem to work because you can mount them as needed to cover the outer edge of the tire. Also the longer the splash guard the better. If your going to stick with the ACS guards get the upper rear quarters wrapped. A good way to check for paint damage is to shine a light at the paint at a angle in a dark garage, you will see all the stone marks in the clear coat.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Torchredc5vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those with the apsis front splash guards.. post your pictures please

Looking to see how they look and how low they cover behind tires

Thanks

Last edited by Torchredc5vette; 03-27-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:14 PM
Bgriz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchredc5vette

Thanks
The Apsis are wide enough but not low enough to stop the debris. I found this out firsthand.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Torchredc5vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgriz
The Apsis are wide enough but not low enough to stop the debris. I found this out firsthand.
What did you end up doing if they didn't work for you?

Do you have xpel or other film on your z? I already have most of mine done with xpel but looking to stop those stones from getting thrown off the front tires.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM
JMills
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torchredc5vette

Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 01:57 PM
JMills
Drifting

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Like others have already said. The guards have to cover the side exposure of the tire. And more importanty for those without side skirts, they have to be low. Not if you have the side skirts. Doesn't matter (other than the underside of the skirts getting pelted)

they don't look bad at all imo. They blend well if I stalled like mine are.

Nothing gets past them if Installed like this. It's hard for me to show you a bad angle that would offend me in any way or take away from the beauty of this car and my personal opinion fan of the side skirts so I hung low and wide but here's a couple more pics I have videos as well the car from all angles they blend in I don't know if it's the color or what but they do not offend me not one bit

What guards did u put on? What brand?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

As others have done, I went with the wider auto supply store front guards as shown in the pictures below. Also did side skirts in body color to match my body color vents. The combination seems to be working after 3,500 miles. Here are a couple of photos. And there are a lot of posts on this subject--just do a search--Bob
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2017, 12:38 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
as Tzoid9 mentioned if they aren't far enough out to cover all of the tire you will get stones flying back and hitting the paint on the rear quarters.
I bought the ACS splash guards and only used them for 200 miles before I discovered that they didn't do the job. That's when I started looking for other alternative splash guards. The O'Reillys seem to work because you can mount them as needed to cover the outer edge of the tire. Also the longer the splash guard the better. If your going to stick with the ACS guards get the upper rear quarters wrapped. A good way to check for paint damage is to shine a light at the paint at a angle in a dark garage, you will see all the stone marks in the clear coat.
The ACS front guards work just fine if you have side skirts. On my 2017 the side skirts came standard. Those combined with the ACS fronts and GM rears have kept the stones off the paintwork.

I go down a road with a lot small rocks on the way to the golf course where the loose stuff banging off the fender insides is really noticeable. There has been no paint damage. The grime from running during wet conditions on the rear quarters has also been pretty much eliminated.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Seems like it's a crapshoot whether you get rock chips on the rear quarters when using the ACS or GM guards, but I've noticed that a lot more people have reported issues with them than not. As much as I dislike the big mud flap look of the O'Reilly guards I've decided that protecting the paint on a $90k car is ultimately more important so I'm probably going to go that route. With those big splash guards and the Stage 2 side skirts I should probably be in good shape.

Quick Reply: The C7 splash guards on Z06