C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dexos vs Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Dexos vs Mobil 1

i was prompted to post something about these oils from some of the responses to my post about the 500 mi oil change i experienced. see link to that post; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-disaster.html

some members told me to get the junk Dexos oil out and replace it with Mobil 1. Firstly, Dexos is a GM spec for oil and is not a specific brand. any one of many manufacturers can blend that oil for them if it meets the spec. the mobil 1 you purchase retail is not fully synthetic as the label says. mobil 1 once was fully synthetic in the mid 70's, but proved too expensive. since then, it has been a blend of a petroleum base stock with synthetic additives. the % synthetic additives varies and can change at any time. there are other brands, such as the European castrol, that have far more synthetic content. even mobil's motorcycle oil has more synthetic than mobil1.

the current mobil1 synthetic is a class 3 oil, the same as non-synthetic labeled oils. the class 4 oils are mostly synthetic, but cost more.

there is nothing wrong with mobil1 and it is very inexpensive. just recognize that it is a blend and won't give you the high temp properties of the class 4 synthetics. you are unlikely to find a professional race teams using mobil1.

do your own research, there is tons of information on this stuff, just don't depend on what some friend or mechanic told you.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Mobil1 5w30 is a dexos oil.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-24-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 AM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I run only group 5 ester based synthetics...Red Line is 100% synthetic.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM
AD2386
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

How do you find out which class certain oil is in?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 PM
bringe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C7 zo6 oil?

What is GM putting in the cars sent across sees ? Old c6 zo6 cars had mobile 1 . 0-40 in them from factory. What's going in the c7 zo6 for oil?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

If Mobil 1 is not 100% synthetic, why does it say "full synthetic" on the label?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Gearhead SS
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 139 Posts

The Mobil 1 that comes from the factory is Dexos.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

This might help:

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
If Mobil 1 is not 100% synthetic, why does it say "full synthetic" on the label?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:19 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
i was prompted to post something about these oils from some of the responses to my post about the 500 mi oil change i experienced. see link to that post; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-disaster.html

some members told me to get the junk Dexos oil out and replace it with Mobil 1. Firstly, Dexos is a GM spec for oil and is not a specific brand. any one of many manufacturers can blend that oil for them if it meets the spec. the mobil 1 you purchase retail is not fully synthetic as the label says. mobil 1 once was fully synthetic in the mid 70's, but proved too expensive. since then, it has been a blend of a petroleum base stock with synthetic additives. the % synthetic additives varies and can change at any time. there are other brands, such as the European castrol, that have far more synthetic content. even mobil's motorcycle oil has more synthetic than mobil1.

the current mobil1 synthetic is a class 3 oil, the same as non-synthetic labeled oils. the class 4 oils are mostly synthetic, but cost more.

there is nothing wrong with mobil1 and it is very inexpensive. just recognize that it is a blend and won't give you the high temp properties of the class 4 synthetics. you are unlikely to find a professional race teams using mobil1.

do your own research, there is tons of information on this stuff, just don't depend on what some friend or mechanic told you.
Your information about mobile one is not intirely correct.

Mobil one is a fully sythetic blend. It is nothing near " a non-synthetic oil" as you state. And it is used by many manufactures of high performance cars as the factory fill. This includes Porsche, BMW, MB, Nissan GTR, GM Corvette Dexos spec, VW and Honda just to name a few.

Then there are the factory race teams that use it:
Mobil one synthetic motor oil is used in premier racing series around the globe, including NASCAR, Grand Prix, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, Formula DRIFT, NHRA, World Touring Car Championship, DTM, British Touring Car Championship, Australian V8 Supercars, FIA GT and Japanese Super GT.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM
hognutz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do oil threads have so much miss-iformation in them.

Most GM high perfromance cars come with mobil 1. The wieght they use of mobil 1 are dexos certified because all factory cars have catalytic converters.

why would a race team run a dexos oil they don't have CAT's and they run much more aggresive cams and spring pressure. so your correct race tems don't use it. GM does not produce race cars though they produce emissions legal production cars.

99% of people who have corvettes are not going to fail a car with mobil 1 in the motor unless it had a problem to start with. the 1% or push there car hard enough or change in cams with higher spring pressure etc will need to switch there oil for sure.

what I have notice though is there are many people who have higher performance cars who nomally drive there car with expensive oil and pretend it is making a difference will changing it every 3k ha ha.

Dexos oils have to have ~900ppm zinc content though which is much lower than many high performance race oils. they may have 1100-1400PPM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 PM
TON C7S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

How about Royal Purple?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:51 PM
AD2386
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TON C7S
How about Royal Purple?
Seeing Royal Purple more n more shops these days. Must be good stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Dexos vs Mobil 1

Quick Reply: Dexos vs Mobil 1