C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Need your advice about my SC2 situation ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 AM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Need your advice about my SC2 situation ...

So as some may have read my driver's side rear tire went flat in the middle of an HPDE yesterday. There's a thread on it here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thunk-it.html but basically I limped her on the run flat 120 miles to the house where miraculously my new set of aftermarket rims from weaponx arrived on the same day.

The weaponx rim/tire setup is for the street, so the oem rims and tires are now reserved only for track use.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with the SC2s. These tires only have 8.5 track sessions (less than 2 HPDE days) and 1700 miles overall. By the last session I could already feel them starting to go away a tiny bit, but I'm guessing they still have two, maximum three track days in them, which would take me till the end of the track season 2015.

So do I:

1. Go to the dealer or specialty tire shop and have them patch the flat tire and run them on track until they lose their efficacy?

2. Go to the dealer and have replace just the one tire? Run with three used and one new tire for a few more events and swap all of them out for the 2016 track season?

3. Bite the bullet and have the dealer swap them all out and start fresh? Then store my used ones in case I get another flat.

The cheapest is obviously option 1 ... and it would keep all the tire wear even. But is it safe to track a patched tire given the weight of the car and associated g-force, especially one that has 120 miles running only on its sidewall? I'm guessing no, but I wanted to know for sure. I mean I could always have the patched tire on the side that has the less load depending on the direction of the track, but still.

Option 2 is also more economical than 3 but is slightly neither here or there. In the end it will be more expensive because when the other three tires go away I will end up having to purchase a whole new set of four anyway. So cheaper short term but actually more expensive long term. And I'm not sure how three half used and one new tire will behave on track.

Option 3 is the logical one but it hurts my wallet.

I appreciate any advice, opinion, and input.

Last edited by soulsea; 05-23-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

option 1 should be fine imho
Old 05-23-2015, 12:16 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Old thread on this from 2010

Tire Rack's Official Page

Seems like the tire companies highly discourage tracking a patched tire, but user experience on the forum is mixed (as it always is).
Old 05-24-2015, 01:38 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

If it was just a plug/patch in the middle of a rear tyre I would have no problem running it on track with an active TPMS system in place. I am more concerned with the number of miles driven on it with no air pressure though, in that I do wonder about the integrity of the steel in the sidewalls. Personally I wouldn't track that tyre for that reason alone, and I would just purchase one to replace it now, and get a full set later. Btw did you mention what punctured the tyre?
Bish
Old 05-24-2015, 02:11 PM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
If it was just a plug/patch in the middle of a rear tyre I would have no problem running it on track with an active TPMS system in place. I am more concerned with the number of miles driven on it with no air pressure though, in that I do wonder about the integrity of the steel in the sidewalls. Personally I wouldn't track that tyre for that reason alone, and I would just purchase one to replace it now, and get a full set later. Btw did you mention what punctured the tyre?
Bish
If the tire was patched immediately after the incident and not driven on (especially for 120 miles), it would still be usable. Just be glad it got you home. Scrap it and get a new one.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:29 PM
VinnieA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go option 3. I just did my 4th track day on SC2's and they are shot. They were ok first two sessions of 4th day then fell off. While it looked like some tread depth left they were heat cycled out. Just my .02
Old 05-24-2015, 06:24 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I decided to go with option 3, kind of ... I found a decent deal on a set of takeoffs with 500 highway miles on them. So I'm going to swap all four to the oem wheels and keep them for track use only. I'm going to keep the 3 half used ones as spares in case this happens again. I was thinking of getting the flat one patched up once it's off the rim but I think I'll just toss it ... it got me 120 miles home on those sidewalls, if I tried to track it I'd just be pushing my luck as who knows what damage that did to the sidewall.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:38 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Okay so here's a heads up if anyone is considering patching up and reusing run flats after they've ran them for 120 miles ... don't do it. The pictures below don't really capture what they looked like in real life but basically they would be unsafe on public roads, and downright dangerous if used on track. The inside of the sidewall is basically toast.

So I had all four changed and saved the three used good ones as spares.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

only supposed to run them like 30 or 50 miles at 50mph right?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:42 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by dvandentop
only supposed to run them like 30 or 50 miles at 50mph right?
Iirc its 50 miles @ 50mph.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

Glad you got home in one piece! I think you made right decision!!!
Pics of the new rims please!!
A
Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by zo6 08
Pics of the new rims please!!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-of-soul.html

Get notified of new replies

To Need your advice about my SC2 situation ...

Quick Reply: Need your advice about my SC2 situation ...