C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C6 ZR1 vs C7Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:12 AM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

This thread is great.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:21 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brooks
Too much of everything is not a good idea. An apple is a healthy fruit, but if u eat the whole box of apples during an hour - you will have some problems... U know, I'm saying?
When a 4-door cts-v reaches its top speed much easier than the "supercar" with the same engine- well, its a problem. And when the top speed of cts-v is higher - this is a disaster. Furthermore, I'm sure, the upcoming camaro zl1 will be faster. Not 0-60, but 120 + the zl1 will own it.
Downforce is a good thing, no doubt. But when its too much and becomes an invisible parachute in the trunk - its a huge mistake of the engineers. That's about it.
Agreed: downforce *is* a good thing.

On the C7Z, it's easily adjustable. Add it when you're going to need it for high speed cornering, reduce it when you're going for top end numbers or the ETA in a quarter.

Not hard to adjust, not a mistake by the GM engineers; this is more like an oversight by owners who don't make the adjustments *as needed*.

This is not rocket science in any way.

Last edited by HighBeta; 08-11-2016 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Brooks (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
What does all this prove.
Dick size?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:33 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Wow...a truthful response from someone who owns a C7Z.
There are many truthful C7Z owners, probably as many as there are truthful C6Z owners (some of whom trade from gen 6 to gen 7).

Last edited by HighBeta; 08-11-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:00 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Tuned c7z against the stock zr1. Nuff said. Zr1 won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK6j2DwubrA

Furthermore, the z06 was lucky the road was short. If it was longer , the z would fail much more dramatically. Congrats to the zr1 owners. The current z06 is a failure.

Now keep talking bs. The facts say it all.
Que the exploding heads...
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Meh. Rock whichever one of them you most prefer. I like them both.

tail_lights (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Too much of everything is not a good idea. An apple is a healthy fruit, but if u eat the whole box of apples during an hour - you will have some problems... U know, I'm saying?
When a 4-door cts-v reaches its top speed much easier than the "supercar" with the same engine- well, its a problem. And when the top speed of cts-v is higher - this is a disaster. Furthermore, I'm sure, the upcoming camaro zl1 will be faster. Not 0-60, but 120 + the zl1 will own it.
Downforce is a good thing, no doubt. But when its too much and becomes an invisible parachute in the trunk - its a huge mistake of the engineers. That's about it.
How many times does it have to be said?
The C7Z was deliberately designed to be more track focused than the C6ZR1 and downforce is a big part of that.

GM never claimed it had a higher top speed than the C6ZR1.
2 cars built for different purposes...it's really that simple.

Originally Posted by OnPoint

Very nice.

Last edited by sunsalem; 08-11-2016 at 04:46 PM.
OnPoint (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 12:44 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice !!!

Callaway and Lingenfelter ...
OnPoint (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

OnPoint (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Pro-Hunt
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 28 Posts

I like them both as well........

And yes the ZR1 is faster on the top end. Still doesn't mean I don't love the new ZO6!
OnPoint (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:42 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Que the exploding heads...
No exploding heads, just a bigger Ignore list. When you quote the ignored, I've got to ignore the quoters.

For the short readers: with sufficient time and money a modified car can be made faster than a stock car.

Last edited by davepl; 08-11-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Mr.Brooks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunsalem
How many times does it have to be said?
The C7Z was deliberately designed to be more track focused than the C6Z and downforce is a big part of that.

GM never claimed it had a higher top speed than the C6Z.

Very nice.
Agree. The z06 is a track car. What I want to say is that now GM needs to build smth like zr1 , but in the c7 body.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
GM never claimed it had a higher top speed than the C6Z.
I feel the cars were built for the same thing, going around a race track at a high speed. On a really cool temperature day the C7Z probably does it better.

It's at another price level to have these features but I have to assume that the new Mid engine C8 will utilize active aero for exactly this reason. I don't ever drive 200 mph but I guess it's important for the Autobahn or something.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:49 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Agree. The z06 is a track car. What I want to say is that now GM needs to build smth like zr1 , but in the c7 body.
Removing the C7's rear wing would probably do a lot in that regard.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
It's at another price level to have these features but I have to assume that the new Mid engine C8 will utilize active aero for exactly this reason.
I would love active aero too.
My guess is it would cost a ton of $$$ and price a Vette into the stratosphere.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:07 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
No exploding heads, just a bigger Ignore list. When you quote the ignored, I've got to ignore the quoters.

For the short readers: with sufficient time and money a modified car can be made faster than a stock car.

Why don't you try hooked on phonics or reading comprehension, the C7Z was the one modded. ZR1 was stock!
Guess that makes you the short poster huh?

Last edited by sam90lx; 08-11-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Murray Anderson (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:32 PM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JMetro64
Has anyone seen these two lined up against one another? Curious as to the real world caparison of these two vehicles since they are very similar
I have owned both as well. Sitting in the new Z makes the ZR1 feel like it's 20 years older.

I can't believe that only 6 years separate the two cars. For example, the ZR1's HUD is single color and kind of fuzzy. The new Z's HUD is full color and very crisp. The ZR1's entertainment center was a small screen. You could pick from four colors and the only thing you could do was play music and look at the nav.

The new Z lets me project my phone's display to the screen, has Pandora built in, lets me change the feel of the steering and the loudness of the exhaust. Lets me record video and overlay it with digital gauges and meters. The dash gauge is also very configurable.

The seats in the new Z are awesome for the first time in Corvette's history! You can swap rooftops (a first for Z06.) I love my clear roof!!! You can have cameras that show you how close you are to the curb so you don't have to make your girlfriend get out of the car and wave you into the parking spot.

The suspension adjustments make a more meaningful difference on the new Z and yeah, it feels measurably quicker than the ZR1. One thing that really bothered me about the ZR1 was how slow it was to rev. Felt like that thing had a 40lb. flywheel.

I love the look of the ZR1. I miss the clear hood bubble, though a lot of people don't. The ZR1 feels like a much smaller car when you sit in it.

I haven't driven either hard enough through the twisties to make a call on the handling performance. I have different tires on them which makes that comparison even more difficult.

I feel like the new Z does everything. It's quick. It handles good. It looks awesome. Sounds awesome. It's luxurious. The interior has a very high build quality. It's packed full of technology. It has an awesome stereo system. It even has air conditioned seats!!!

All that said, a used ZR1 is a pretty stunning bargain, though used Z06's are pretty quickly closing in on that price.

Last edited by MacManInfi; 08-11-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Zidane (12-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 ZR1 vs C7Z

Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by MacManInfi
I have owned both as well. Sitting in the new Z makes the ZR1 feel like it's 20 years older.

I can't believe that only 6 years separate the two cars. For example, the ZR1's HUD is single color and kind of fuzzy. The new Z's HUD is full color and very crisp. The ZR1's entertainment center was a small screen. You could pick from four colors and the only thing you could do was play music and look at the nav.

The new Z lets me project my phone's display to the screen, has Pandora built in, lets me change the feel of the steering and the loudness of the exhaust. Lets me record video and overlay it with digital gauges and meters. The dash gauge is also very configurable.

The seats in the new Z are awesome for the first time in Corvette's history! You can swap rooftops (a first for Z06.) I love my clear roof!!! You can have cameras that show you how close you are to the curb so you don't have to make your girlfriend get out of the car and wave you into the parking spot.

The suspension adjustments make a more meaningful difference on the new Z and yeah, it feels measurably quicker than the ZR1. One thing that really bothered me about the ZR1 was how slow it was to rev. Felt like that thing had a 40lb. flywheel.

I love the look of the ZR1. I miss the clear hood bubble, though a lot of people don't. The ZR1 feels like a much smaller car when you sit in it.

I haven't driven either hard enough through the twisties to make a call on the handling performance. I have different tires on them which makes that comparison even more difficult.

I feel like the new Z does everything. It's quick. It handles good. It looks awesome. Sounds awesome. It's luxurious. The interior has a very high build quality. It's packed full of technology. It has an awesome stereo system. It even has air conditioned seats!!!

All that said, a used ZR1 is a pretty stunning bargain, though used Z06's are pretty quickly closing in on that price.
All very valid points without trashing either car, just an honest comparison/opinion. Wish more people on this forum had that skill...Don't have to hate on one car to like another.
The following 4 users liked this post by ZoratZ06:
1 HOT 07 (03-26-2017), MacManInfi (08-11-2016), o2baZR1 (12-30-2018), tonypittman (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:01 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Troll on, [anything] will [anything] better than the C7Z. We already know how you feel.
Believe me when I say I am no fan of Brooks - but in this rare case - he is correct. Stock for stock 9/10 times a C6 ZR1 will beat a C7 Z06 in a roll. Trap speeds tell us why - they average 2-3 MPH faster.

Most videos I have seen show a dead heat to 3rd - With fourth (and higher speeds in general) showing the C7 Z06 hitting a wall.

That said - all round - the newer C7 Z06 - from its interior, to the electronics and overall fit and finish of the car is the next generation as it is supposed to be.

Last edited by vtknight; 08-11-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
Believe me when I say I am no fan of Brooks - but in this rare case - he is correct. Stock for stock 9/10 times a C6 ZR1 will beat a C7 Z06 in a roll. Trap speeds tell us why - they average 2-3 MPH faster.

Most videos I have seen show a dead heat to 3rd - With fourth (and higher speeds in general) showing the C7 Z06 hitting a wall.

That said - all round - the newer C7 Z06 - from its interior, to the electronics and overall fit and finish of the car is the next generation as it is supposed to be.
I had both cars at the same time for about 4 months and a 2008 Z

I just decided if I had the Z06 in the M7. I didn't need the ZR1. The ZR1 older mag ride is far short of the unit on the Z06 and the handling is a little lacking compared to the lighter underpinning's and stiffer frame that show up a lot when driving between the two.

The ZR1 has more creaks and rattles. Stock to stock? It no longer makes a difference once you add a mod or 2.
The Z06 Comp seat to the ZR1's forget it.

My ZR1 was 150 pounds lighter than the Z06 weighted at the same place 3500 to 3350 and feels a little slower all the way around to my Z06 with just a few mods.

Not missing the ZR1 very much. The Z06 is really a beast the way my car is set up , more fun and better to drive and gets more females looking as well.

Then with some miles the M7 and the MGW all gears are butter smooth, easy access and by far the best manual ever.
Actually getting ready to go have another car to go with it as well possibly a another Z06 or might wait and see what is coming down the pipe.

My 2008 Z06 is going real soon as well.

Quick Reply: C6 ZR1 vs C7Z