C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Front splash guards.....recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 AM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Front splash guards.....recommendations

I have a new silver Z06 vert and everything on the car is silvered out to give it a certain look. Want to get splash guards for the front for some protection but don't want it to look too obtrusive. Thinking of going with GM painted splash guards in front .....will these help? Can get ACS splash guards painted too but thought that might look a bit too obvious. Appreciate that looks are subjective but want to protect the car without changing the look. Here's a picture of the car for reference:

Old 08-21-2016, 11:40 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice. I have the same color combination - different wheels. Best to do a search on this site for "splash guards". The subject has been discussed ad nausium. No matter the splash guards used, skirts are necessary to protect the rear brake vents, etc. I have the biggest front guards available and still needed skirts to stop the damage.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:51 AM
golfbone
Pro

Originally Posted by jim2092
Nice. I have the same color combination - different wheels. Best to do a search on this site for "splash guards". The subject has been discussed ad nausium. No matter the splash guards used, skirts are necessary to protect the rear brake vents, etc. I have the biggest front guards available and still needed skirts to stop the damage.
Do you think I need something wider than the GM guards like at ACS guards perhaps? Can get those painted silver to match or textured. I think the body painted would be bless obtrusive

Last edited by golfbone; 08-21-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:59 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by golfbone
Do you think I need something wider than the GM guards like at ACS guards perhaps? Can get those painted silver to match or textured. I think the body painted would be bless obtrusive
A search here for "skirts" will give you a great deal of info.

I do not know if ACS skirts are wider than OEM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

You can either have good protection with big splash guards, or mediocre protection with smaller GM ones. I personally don't like the look of the bigger splashguards, but I don't like rock chips, either.

Below is mine, equipped with GM matte black splashguards front and rear, ACS sideskirts, and Xpel on the rockers, front, and other exposed spots.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2016, 12:02 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

To protect the back rear quarter from getting paint damage you will need side skirts and some type of splash guard. The guards will be noticeable but that's the trade off for paint protection. With the skirts the splash guards aren't as noticeable. You could also wrap most of the paint where the stones hit but you will see the marks in the clear after some time.
Here are two low cost splash guard options.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...that-work.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sh-guards.html
The following users liked this post:
cvp33 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I used the GM guards with XPEL Ultimate wrap.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:43 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

If you don't want to make your own then go with the ASC front because they look good once installed and next to the home made ones that I also think look good they will give the best protection. In the rear the GMs will be fine and really are just for looks to balance out the splash guard thing.

I say this because I have pretty much tried them all.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 08-21-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Al3x_666
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
You can either have good protection with big splash guards, or mediocre protection with smaller GM ones. I personally don't like the look of the bigger splashguards, but I don't like rock chips, either.

Below is mine, equipped with GM matte black splashguards front and rear, ACS sideskirts, and Xpel on the rockers, front, and other exposed spots.
Any closer pictures of the splash guard?!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:48 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Get apsis splash guards . They are pricey but they are the best. You wont notice the size after awhile

Clif
Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 PM
golfbone
Pro

I am leaning toward the textured ACS splash guards. Do I need to get GM for the rears to balance the look? I can't picture the car with these. I'd love to get side skirts but I really think that the black would look off on my all silver car and If I paint them silver they will get damaged too easily.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Al3x_666
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am leaning toward the textured ACS splash guards. Do I need to get GM for the rears to balance the look? I can't picture the car with these. I'd love to get side skirts but I really think that the black would look off on my all silver car and If I paint them silver they will get damaged too easily.
Get them wrapped silver!

My friend get his ACS C6 side rocker wrapped in satin black.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:44 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Old 08-21-2016, 11:41 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

I was the same as you not wanting to install skirts or large splash guards.
You will change your opinion quickly when you start seeing damage to your paint. I installed the ACS on mine and still got damage to the paint, they don't go low enough so stones still fly up and damage your paint.
You will need skirts and longer splash guards, or the paint WILL get damaged. The design of the ZO6 front fenders not covering the tires and the wide back end lends itself to damage. The GM back guards look good and that's what I installed to balance the look.
That's why I custom modified the two splash guards in my above post.
If you didn't want the side skirts you could try the extra long ones, but they may look massive without the skirts to break it up. They aren't very expensive and some here have brought them along for the museum pickup to protect the paint on the drive home. If you go with the extra long cut them a 1/4" shorter mine hit the road on some deep dips in the road.
Good luck on your decision, been there done that.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Al3x_666
Any closer pictures of the splash guard?!

Best I could do on short notice and with phone camera and limited skills. As for color, the ACS carbon flash skirts are an exact match for the factory spoiler and fender vents and, in my case, the mirrors. The GM matte splash guards are a match for the factory front spats.

Some like it, some don't. I get lots of compliments, FWIW.
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
Get apsis splash guards . They are pricey but they are the best. You wont notice the size after awhile

Clif
I've got them front and rear. Helps with burnouts at the track.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

The ACS splash guards and most other ones don't cover the full width of the front wheel. The front wheel is about 2-1/2" wider than the lower body rocker. As noted in this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sh-guards.html , I and several others went with some inexpensive standard mud guards from an auto parts store (about $13), fitted them so they cover the entire wheel width and attached them in a couple of different ways. I retained the stock trim pieces and attached the mud flaps to them so they could come off easily (one screw and some clips). Unless you are looking for them you won't notice them. I have pointed them out to several people at shows and they said they looked stock.

And on side skirts, don't be afraid of body colored skirts. I and several others went with body colored skirts from RPI Designs and have been very pleased. The paint is high quality and they are about the least expensive side skirts, roughly $650 including shipping. They are painted on the top only; the underside is black coasted rough fiberglass. Attached with screws not rivets so you could remove them if you want to. Mine have not been scratched or chipped in any way although there is some chance I might do so with my shoes getting out of the car; I try to be careful. Together with the wider mud flaps they have so far prevented stone chips on the rear quarters (2,500 miles). And I like the look since it compliments my body colored vents.--Bob
Attached Images   

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 08-22-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:35 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I have a new silver Z06 vert and everything on the car is silvered out to give it a certain look. Want to get splash guards for the front for some protection but don't want it to look too obtrusive. Thinking of going with GM painted splash guards in front .....will these help? Can get ACS splash guards painted too but thought that might look a bit too obvious. Appreciate that looks are subjective but want to protect the car without changing the look. Here's a picture of the car for reference:

GM OEM front mud guards are way too short and way to narrow. ACS Composite front mud guards are the way to go, along with side skirts, and the OEM rear mud guards. Installed on mine 2016 Stingray Z51
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

BTW, ACS Composite Enhanced front mud guards will cover the Z06 wider front tires. The GM OEM rear mud guards are so, so relative to protecting from the very large Z06 rear tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Front splash guards.....recommendations

Quick Reply: Front splash guards.....recommendations